Zooming out

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by AlaskanStew, Mar 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlaskanStew

AlaskanStew New Member

So the title explains itself, can we get this option for marksman? Even a little bit would help, I find that putting my sensitivity up all the way and speeding to the side of the group every 1 second kind of tires me out. I have a high DPI mouse, but its still tiring doing it constantly.

Im sure im not the only one who feels this way.

If not, explain why?
  2. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

I've asked for a higher zoom feature multiple times. Ability has denied this each time, and I do not recall his reasoning.
  3. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

Probably for the same reason an increased FOV is denied in every MOBA and RTS. Having that much of a zoom out makes microing MM with OSOK trivial. Same goes for virtually any long range class. FO would have a field day.
  4. EdowardoLMP

EdowardoLMP Well-Known Member

Double tap 1(! button) to instantly have your camera back to your hero. I think this was intended to remove some "slacking". For instance as you mentioned Marksman, his skill OSOK has a range of 25 which can hit like half screen away from your unit. Recon also do that when using certain skills like Laser Designate and Flare.

OSOK from all side (zoomed out sight) compared to one side (normal camera sight) is much like cheesing for Marksman.
  5. rockz
    • Donator

rockz Well-Known Member

It's so we can't see past the edge of the map or something.
  6. Scorpione

Scorpione Well-Known Member

Useless, 90% of the time you don't even have a full around view.
  7. AlaskanStew

AlaskanStew New Member

Would you rather have a decreased FOV as you went up a hill that's at the height of 2? That is where this game is at, using the standard blizzard FOV

Half a screen away you say? it streches well beyond half of my screen.

Not so, when someone flares or designates a target, i don't see it half the time because I'm looking else where for other targets.

~edit~ There is a downside to zooming out, which is greatly overlooked. When you zoom out, the unit size gets smaller. Not great for critical percision shots. Such as BBQ that unit is fairly average size, zoom out and it will be at least half its size. If Ability reduces the size of some units, this increased FOV would have its Pros and cons.

I've attached some images of Game view, vs a 10% increase in FOV only
  8. EdowardoLMP

EdowardoLMP Well-Known Member

*That varies with different screen resolution, sorry din't clarify properly.
  9. AlaskanStew

AlaskanStew New Member

Attached another photo of my screen resolution. Resolution does not effect FOV.
  10. brizingr5

brizingr5 Member

It can if you have an either an oddly shaped monitor or something else along those lines (incompatibilities, etc.). But yes, you're right, FOV isn't SUPPOSED to change with resolutions, although it often does get a little thrown off.
  11. AlaskanStew

AlaskanStew New Member

I'm not asking for a great whopping 50% increase in FOV, if you may be thinking that. I'm asking for around the 10-20% range. Anything to give the marksman a little slack.
  12. brizingr5

brizingr5 Member

I think that FO actually kind of deserves this "50% increase." I mean, in reality, it's not that hard to call in air/artillery strikes on marked coordinates and/or to keep them constantly going. But most of the time, FO has to keep looking back and forth, which can get especially sticky in the lab since the map is so small from all the clutter on it. Being like 1-3 pixels off and you're arty'ing the entirely wrong position.

Also, why does mm have a passive scope that basically only lets it see over cliffs, and not a legitimate scope toggle that narrows its vision but allows it to see to it's near maximum needed distance? (around 20-30)
  13. AlaskanStew

AlaskanStew New Member

Here is a 50% increase in FOV only. This would be to much in the increased FOV. This would cause Imabalance.

~edit~ The units have long range for a reason right? Put us at ease and give us what we need.
  14. HipHopDragon
    • Warden

HipHopDragon Warden

I dont think mm, recon or fo needs a fov increase. Its part of the game to keep and eye out for stuff and increasing the fov would reduce the skill ceiling.
  15. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

That's a funny statement, considering that we've gotten along just fine without it for a very long time.

Increased FOV would be amazing and useful, but it is hardly necessary.

Just to clarify; I'm not saying I wouldn't enjoy it vastly. Frankly, NOTD is somewhat awkward to play at times, and its limited sight range contributes to that. However, that is something of a boon in its case sometimes, considering players' very limited sight range 80% of the time.
  16. AlaskanStew

AlaskanStew New Member

It is absolutely necessary in and on all occasions. I've struggled with this problem since Day 1, that I have been playing Marksman. This continues to be the bane of marksman players. (I don't include FO because I have not played FO)
  17. DLINK

DLINK Well-Known Member

Map awareness and good micro is something to be learned.
  18. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

Yes they do, but it does not necessarily correlate to "having a larger field of view". It would be nice, sure, but not necessarily a must have.

No, you do not "need" it.

Also, "unease" is subjective.
    Some of us enjoy the fact that there is an added risk of sorts to using OSOK.

Reminds me of actually using a scope to zero in on far away targets. Your awareness of your surroundings markedly decreases when you focus your senses elsewhere.

As had been said (outright or not) by some of the other posters in this thread, this game has many aspects that make it difficult. It encourages you to practice/micro more etc.
  19. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

If it was absolutely necessary, NOTD would be unplayable without it. But it's not, so it isn't. Stop asserting that it is, because you're wrong.
  20. Scorpione

Scorpione Well-Known Member

STOP INSITING ABOUT THIS BEING IMPORTANT JUST BECAUSE YOU TO LAZY TO MOVE YOUR MOUSE.

About its "abosolutely necessary" nothings "needs" this. If it did it wouldn't be playable at the moment. If you can't be asked to move your mouse get someone to move it for it. Or get a better screen instead of that 15inch laptop monitor.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.