Which boss's visuals do you like to see changed first?

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Peerawatz, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Peerawatz
    • Development Team

Peerawatz NOTD Staff: Sound Mixer and NOTD Troll Chieftain

I'm going to finally update some boss's visuals, this will generally include it's model, sounds, skill visuals and maybe as to the overall boss fight feeling, but I don't like making changes to all at once, so let's put a vote, what boss do you think looks too stupid atm ?

Also would be good if you come with suggestions, concepts and which model should a boss be based on etc. but that is optional.

Note : Apologies for the blue background complaints, but that's what community used to asked for quite awhile ago, doesn't seem to work that way anymore :D
  2. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Hades.

The Hatchery is incredibly goddamn outdated and generic, and I'd really like to see a more interesting final boss that isn't a Viking with Zerg units stapled to it. I'd like to see something along the lines of an actual final mutation, and not just a bloated science experiment with robot legs.
  3. HDD
    • Donator

HDD Well-Known Member

I voted Others. I'm specifing Eileithyia . Really a giant overlord?? i know that boss doesnt appear often, but i would it deserve the love first. I agree that the spawn rate is quite low, but still the boss is simply a regular unit model.
  4. vexxenon

vexxenon Well-Known Member

Ivax, since its so similar to Seth
  5. Reaper

Reaper Moderator/The Crimsonrine

Erebos!!

Give him a darker skin with an ethereal look, you know to match his portrait and during the 2nd Encounter have a purple fire rage from his head. :p He is after all, the Prince of Darkness! Boowhahaha!!
    [​IMG]

And like most people say Hades, can make him look something akin to Diablo with loads of spines/spikes.
    [​IMG]
  6. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Hades for me because it is the 'ultimate' boss fight in NOTD when fully completed. Given the culmination of everything that players do to get there (XP grind, getting the right team), the boss should look great.
  7. Peerawatz
    • Development Team

So the first boss with be Hades, do we still intend to make 2nd form looks like an infested mech, or a giant big biological lifeforms?
  8. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

I kinda like the idea of an infested mech, where the hatchery or whatever it's being turned into is in the process of infesting IVAX Mk-2.
  9. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Storywise, what is Hades supposed to be? A HAL type AI locked in a mech that got infested? Or maybe it IS HAL?
  10. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

How about an infested tank? heh. Guy does pack a wallop. Personally would go for biological purely but we could use a hybrid of sorts for what is probably the hardest boss.

Ghost,

Actually that is a good question and one that has been asked time and time again. What is the infestation itself anyway? Is it a virus/bacteria, a chemical mutagen, an alien (charlie)? Or is it all of the above? Do these things have a hive mind? Do the infected become mindless?

Hades kinda springs from the ground (hatchery form) which implies it may be from the underground arcology/tunnel system whose entrances you seal. Other than that there's really nothing else we know about it. Either that or it grew from a really really tiny "thing" to the hatchery in 3 seconds.
    Maybe even of eldritch/lovecraftian origin? Would explain the blackholes
  11. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Also, how did a hatchery suddenly appear there if it wasn't for most of the game time
  12. Peerawatz
    • Development Team

I will let Ability decide as to it being a mech/zombie hybrid, a fully mutated strain or whatever concepts he want.
  13. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

If it's up to a vote, I'd say a fully mutated strain. I really don't like the concept of it being a hybrid, especially considering what I've got cooked up for NOTD2.
  14. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

I wouldn't say "hybrid", but I find the idea of something like the M.O.M. (From RIFTS) a good idea for Hades. A mostly 99% biological entity who's incredible powers are moderated/created by machines. So you'd visually have slight mechanical tidbits but it would mostly look biological, giving it the effect of not some Cyborg Demon ala Doom, but something that was biological and tampered with a little (just a little). WHich also suggests background/story hooks of who did it, why, how, etc.
  15. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

There are a lot of underground living quarters in Apollo (surface area players see is more like an entry point - like a submarine - to protect most of the general population against solar radiation/meteors/etc). Sheng's team goes underground to search for survivors during the Lab event (Cronus boss fight) in Alpha Company storyline too. He emerges with nobody and refuses to talk about what his men saw because most of the population was consumed during Hades' earlier formation in Sec Team storyline. Nasty things underground. Real horror show.

In Sec Team finale, Hades emerged from the ground after manifesting itself and growing into a critical mass.

It was purely organic in its formation stages. HAL, after gaining self-realization earlier in the storyline, decided that Hades would be a useful tool to distract the humans to buy more time for its own plans/escape from Apollo. Misdirection. It allowed what was Hades to merge into part of the structure of Apollo.

So starts off with a blob (Hades 1) that's more like a cocoon (e.g. caterpillar morphing into a butterfly) with a mean natural defense. You destroy/break it and Hades 2 (mainly organic + some mechanic) emerges.

Any violent objections?
  16. ForeRunner

ForeRunner Well-Known Member

your idea would certianly work Ability, but the real question comes down to what is the infection really (you of course are best able to answer that). For example I've always been under the impression it was something that the nameless senator (yes I know we heard his name) and Bergmann cooked up to quash rebellions with out the negative spotlight and with out harming the machinery. A pocket nightmare if you will. Based on that it seems odd to me that it would have been designed to be capable of infesting mechanical and structural portions of the colony. But all that said I suppose it could have just mutated of its own free will.

Anywho thats my thoughts towards it and Im fine with anything so long as it looks less ungainly that a leviathan with mechanical legs sticking out of its stomach.
  17. Thermidor

Thermidor Well-Known Member

Seems fine to me and like ForeRunner said, it would work.

Senator Jonathan Wilkins?

I can understand why you would be under the impression it was him, since the wiki says he was the:
  18. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Yup - it's a pocket nightmare. HAL stepped into the picture and things got a bit out of hand.
  19. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Wilkins, Bergmann, and Koller, the real villains.

HAL just fucked things up in an knee jerk SERE type reaction.
  20. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

I would like to see Hades assimilating parts of non-infested things to strengthen himself (for instance, steel girders and metal plates and the like), but not an outright hybrid of mechanical and organic nature. I think that's pushing it a bit too far.