Weapon Simplification: Shooty Guns and You

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Blaqk, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Operations and Web

Now that the armor and classification is settled in with no apparent kinks, we can move on to simplifying weapons along with it. Currently, weapons can have up to 4 bonuses or maluses which makes choosing which to use in which situation difficult for new players, and makes calculating damage a real pain in the ass for others. Over the past month I have been testing (with various community members) weapons with the following stats:

[​IMG]

First numerical column is damage per shot, followed by bonus, armor reduction, attack speed, base DPS, and bonus DPS in that order.

This greatly simplifies weapons, alleviating the information overload new players experience while ensuring that all weapons are good choices for the correct situation. You may notice that some weapons were buffed slightly to bring them to par with the others. SMG may look nerfed at first glance but changes to its splash damage and ammo efficiency will make it better overall. You may also notice that the Pulse Rifle is gone. There isn't enough enemy variety in NOTD to merit another damage type as even psionic enemies aren't common enough to deserve their own dedicated weapon.

The flamethrower will remain unchanged. Like the "massive" tag on enemies, it is too ingrained into the game to be able to safely change it. I'd like to have the weapon overhaul included in this week's patch, but if discussion drags out it can wait for the last one.

Changes will be made in pairs, each update a week from the last:

1. GPR and UA420 (M5 Removal)
    2. SMG and M45
    3. HMG and Barrett
    4. Pistol and SG
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
    • Rainbow Sticker Rainbow Sticker x 1
  2. stanK

stanK Member

Well, NOTD weapon system is a complicated mess so any simplification is welcome. That said i propose that the tweaks mentioned here are done in several small incremental patches instead of one big one so we can test out each change.
  3. Stereo
    • Development Team

Stereo Paper Boy

UGC Command sees fit to decommission the M5 Pulse Rifle for use in combat zones. The situations in which the weapon platform would be useful are rare, and many other weapon platforms excel in the same situations. Individuals who see fit to keep one as a trophy will be persecuted for stealing government property...

(We are still looking for the last gravity gun, and we will find it.)
  4. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Updated with order of change.
  5. kamukag3e

kamukag3e Well-Known Member

Simplifying is good, simplifying is life !

But still I have few questions.

Isn't this 0 damage reduction for Pistol too big of a deal I know it's low-ranged and single-target, but with it's high single target damage and short reload time.
    In short isn't it too strong in comparison to the other weapons ?

Another question is - Reload Speed. We all know that a lot of characters have skills affecting that, but the duration is still a big factor in calculating a weapon's Damage Per Second.
  6. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Ahhhh... you're right. I never meant to change its armor reduction, I just forgot to put it on the list. Thank you for pointing that out.

Reload speed might change for a few weapons. UA420 might have its speed boosted, but most will remain unchanged.
  7. stanK

stanK Member

I made suggestions to remove all m5/420/gpr from the game, cause their removal will only slightly affect recruit. With this change however 420 may get its role against stalkers and hulks (armored) in NM games.
  8. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Reduced GPR attack speed to 0.45 instead of 0.4, which reduces its DPS to 35, not much more than what it is now. This addresses my concern with the GPR being too powerful for recruit and not encouraging new players to try new weapons.
  9. MissHumpz
    • Event Coordinator
    • Community Leader

MissHumpz NOTD Staff: Event Coordinator & Amazing Amazer

I'm against handicapping newbies in any way. NOTD is already an incredible steep learning curve, I don't see how weakening the only gun they start with (and some will most likely won't know or find a replacement throughout the game) is going to make it any better. Yes they should know what the other guns do but its going to take them a great amount of games played just to get their head around the basics.
  10. squish

squish Well-Known Member

Uhh. Do you even thread? He upped the damage to a flat 16. It's currently 12.
  11. rockz
    • Donator

rockz Well-Known Member

Since when is the HK a semi-automatic weapon that shoots slower than a pistol? Does pistol still doubleshot?
  12. squish

squish Well-Known Member

Since about 6 months ago.
    No.
  13. MissHumpz
    • Event Coordinator
    • Community Leader

I must be drunk because I don't see that written anywhere
  14. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

You're looking for the upper left corner of the image where it says "GPR" and then "16".
  15. Commlink
    • Development Team
    • Modeler

Commlink Programmer/Asset Designer

needs colour
  16. stanK

stanK Member

And different fonts. Don't forget to use different sizes too!
  17. Stereo
    • Development Team

Stereo Paper Boy

Under no circumstance shall the font Comic Sans be used.
  18. MissHumpz
    • Event Coordinator
    • Community Leader

I see no before and after comparisons!

Agreed! Also needs to be done in Paint. Some of it also eneeds to be drawn on.

But that's my favourite font D:
  19. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Oh. Yeah, no, there aren't any in this thread. If you want to compare the before and after, I would suggest using the Wiki.
  20. MissHumpz
    • Event Coordinator
    • Community Leader

Who has time to even update the Wiki with all of this?