Vision Range Indicator

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by brizingr5, Mar 30, 2013.

1. brizingr5

brizingr5 Member

I feel like this has already been suggested, because I find it hard to believe that no-one else has wanted this, but could we include something to keep track of a units vission range? Perhaps attach it to your equiped weapons tooltip? So you would have your range, then vision.

Either that or you could use the stats slots for the normal strength, intel, agility, etc. on the right side of the units information... thingy (like what was suggested for the shield armor).
  2. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Y'mean like... looking at your unit and seeing how far away the fog of war is?

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking for here.
  3. TheWolf
    • Donator

TheWolf Surgeon of Death

i think he is asking for an indicator that tells him how far his vision goes. like a little icon that says: your hero has vision range 9
    so he can evaluate if he can even use the max range of a gun i guess.
  4. brizingr5

brizingr5 Member

Yes exactly. What is the range your unit removes the Fog of War, or vision range (the thing that occular implants are supposed to augment).

EDIT: Doesn't have to be an Icon. It could follow the same ideas presented for determining the number of Concentration stacks you have for Marksman. Whatever works, it would be a nice piece of information to know/be easily to access.
  5. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

On one hand, that is indeed useful to know. On the other, we already have borderline information overload in the UI already. I can ask/talk to Thermidor, but I believe every class base sight range is stated in the wiki, if it is not, I'll see about getting it updated.
  6. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Marksman has 14 sight range. (highest)

Recon has 12 sight range.

Psi Ops has 11 sight range.

Rifleman, Assault, Engineer, Commando, Forward Observer, Technician, Pathfinder all have 10 sight range.

Medic, Demolitions have 9.5 sight range.

Flamethrower has 8 sight range (lowest).

Problem is that, this indicator would have to update every time a(n) Assault / Rifleman uses Suppressive Fire / Focus Fire, and whenever any class equips an Ocular Sight.
  7. TheWolf
    • Donator

TheWolf Surgeon of Death

maybe just implement it in teh classselections creen. i mean it alreday states stuff like inventory slots before selecting juts add a line that says below startsightrange: 9 . and rest is up to your math players^^
  8. Thermidor

Thermidor Well-Known Member

Yep, they're all on the wiki already for every class.
  9. TheWolf
    • Donator

TheWolf Surgeon of Death

yea they are on the wiki. then again most newbs (who are the once that mostly need that info) arent aware of the wiki.
    Just consider it Ap abi and Kith do some brainstoming about it or ask the blackops and decide if you want sth like that on the selection screen or not^^
  10. brizingr5

brizingr5 Member

Do we already use the strength/intel/agility section of the unit information card? If not, we could put some valuable information there.

On marksman specifically (as well as a few other classes), the Marine Actions command card gets cluttered by a lot of passives (scope, anticipation, and mastery for marksman (they also show up as debuffs next to the wireframe picture). I'm sure we could throw a few more things into that command card. We could even put hold fire/weapons free in the same slot, which would open up another space on that card.

EDIT: I was looking around on the wiki (marksman specifically) and was noticing how many things are out of date (things like quick-aim is still a default skill, as apposed to scope now). It's no wonder why people don't go to the wiki for information; a lot of the stuff we're looking for might not be there, is outdated, or is missleading. Some of the guides to campaigns are still good for getting a general idea of what's going on, but even after reading the appollo sec guide multiple times, I still found myself learning on the fly as we went through the campaign.
  11. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

I'm fine to put the vision information on Stats UI eventually. It won't be on the main class selection screen to minimize complexity.
  12. brizingr5

brizingr5 Member

I feel like there is a lot of wasted potential we should put to use with the Selected Unit Information "Strength," "Intel," and "Agility" positions. I believe you can even re-lable them to have a more accurate name. The only issue I see with this method is if the Strength, Endurance, Intel, Agility, etc. that we use for our character stats are the same ones as those used in the Selected Unit Information UI thingy... (I really need to figure out what those are actually called...)
  13. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

I'm unsure how many Attributes a character can have, but Attributes can be completely customized to do many things. They aren't specifically Strength, Intelligence, Agility, but can represent and do a wide variety of things. Their Names and Functions can be customized to suit many purposes.

I do know its possible to have "Hidden" attributes; attributes that do not show up on the character. This is likely how our character's Strength, Endurance, Dexterity etc. are done.

A max of 3 would be displayed in a read-able form, because otherwise it would probably clutter too much and be impractical to read.

They could use those, but that just adds to clutter, and I do not believe that attributes can have non-integer numbers.

Really, just standardize most units at 10 Sight range, keep Psi-Ops at 11, Recon at 12, Marksman at 14, and Flamethrower at 8.

Said Attribute would have a base of whatever the unit's base sight range is, each point adding 1 to a units sight range. Ocular Implants add 3 points to this attribute, Perception adds whatever fraction rounded appropriately, and it would be easily stated.

But that is so long as there is room for an extra attribute.
  14. Extifer
    • Warden
    • Donator

Extifer Stiffy is what Lyanden calls me.

The current NOTD should be focused on visual upgrades, Bugs being fixed, and class balance/rework.

Not gimmicks.

Save the gimmicks for NOTD 2, people are more than welcome to input ideas for NOTD 2.
  15. brizingr5

brizingr5 Member

Less of a gimmick and more of something that should have be included from the start, since it's such an important part of the game. Simmilar to Marksman's Concentration. Besides, it's not even that hard of a change, and these sorts of changes would directly translate to NotD 2 because they're important aspects of the UI.
  16. Thermidor

Thermidor Well-Known Member

Not quite sure what this attribute thing is about tbh but if the vision stats are put somewhere in the UI, I'm fine with that.

Things are outdated on the wiki and I can only update what I know.

But the marksman starting skills was a bad example of that. Clearly you haven't read the wiki for months and posted this off what you remember from it without checking to see if it has been updated since then or you were reading an old revision of the page.
    Reasoning: I updated that (along with the rest of the marksman rework) on the 12th January 2013, some time ago.
  17. brizingr5

brizingr5 Member

18. HipHopDragon
    • Warden

HipHopDragon Warden

guides dont get updated unless the creater does so.
  19. brizingr5

brizingr5 Member

Yeah well, the guides are where the useful information is. We all know what the skills do, we want to know what to do with them, how to combo them, and how to make ourselves better using them.
  20. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Then contact the guide creators and ask them to update the guides, or figure it out and write one yourself.