Vigil Launch

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mirage, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mirage
    • Donator

Mirage ಠ_ಠ What are you looking at?

So it's here finally! (Except the native windows loader, it broke when I signed it, will have it up soon)

For those of you who aren't aware what Vigil is, its a community integration application that allows you to view your stats outside your game, handles backups and restorations of your banks (Can even store to dropbox in case your computer has issues), community chat (Its based on IRC on Quakenet) as well as web stat submission to participate in what will be in the future, a global leader board for players.

If Java is firewalled on your computer Vigil will not run, it will fail and spit out some ridiculous error.

So for those of you who'd like to just jump in

Platform Independent Download
    If you choose this one, just unzip it wherever you want and run VigilLoader.jar with a double click (Or whatever your platform requires)

Mac OSX
    Loaded Bundled as an .APP for those of you who use OSX, it isn't signed so you may need to change your gatekeeper settings for security wise (This may change at a later date, but the OSX signing tool was refusing to work for me)

Edit: If the OSX .app inside that zip doesn't work for you, let me know (And any errors if it gives any) and just switch to the platform independent one for the time being.

Feedback is welcomed as we get going, if you have any issues you can report me the errors and such by..

About > Trace Window, Copy entire Error window, and entire trace window with ctrl+a inside the text area; then PM me, at a later date a simple 'report error' button will be available.

For those of you on slow connections be aware, the Loader is just a little stub I wrote to handle updates, it has to download about 200 KB when vigil updates (the binary) these days you'll probably just notice a delay of 2-3 seconds around update times, but once you're running the most recent version it will work just fine and all. :)

For Forum Integration in Near Future.

User CP > Edit Profile > Scroll down to the associated fields (They'll be obvious) and fill in the correct data so the data submission won't be anonymous.

For the sake of example, here's mine.

[​IMG]

But.. Don't copy my stuff.
  2. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Okay - have installed and am starting to use this. I need more people to give feedback on Vigil to make it better too.

Feedback
    - Please enable 'Auto-Detect Bank' by default. Right now, people have to go to Configure -> Configure Bank -> Try Auto-Detect to get the banks detected. It'll be a lot more intuitive to have it on as default and reduces unnecessary steps.
    - Please allow us to resize the app. Ideally, I'd like people to be able to take a screenshot of all their Bank stats if they can resize it large enough.
    - Need a search bar or a Top 100 list (sorted by Criteria) to allow us to search players, the population median or other information. This is critical.
    - For Vigil Chat, please get it to automatically use our Character Code names as chat names (once forum integration is done). It currently displays as 'VigilClient' until we manually change it in Configure -> Configure Chat.
    - Please allow Vigil Chat the option to save your chat history
    - When I click minimize on Vigil, please allow it to stay on Windows taskbar (it disappears to the area on bottom right in Windows 7)
    - The overall loading time is a bit slow. It takes 3-4 seconds on my PC to load the app. Can this be improved?
  3. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Can Vigil's News tab show the entire text content of each post (like how SC2 does their news). You can make the list scrollable and show the last 5 posts only.
  4. Mirage
    • Donator

Mirage ಠ_ಠ What are you looking at?

Also I just noticed you broke my news display with a newline in the post before it could truncate it; bad ability. :p

How about a sort of 'Mouseover' type thing for post content, like you put your cursor over the text in the pane and it shows the full content (Color coding maybe, it can be finnicky)

Vigil Updated to 1.0.1 (Fixed a couple glaring background issues I hadn't noticed previously, working on the changes asked here now)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.