tough choice

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Blaze, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Blaze

Blaze New Member

ok i had to make this choice during an ec game we only had 4 guys left and i was pyro flamer and queen was coming so as our demo tanked and med helped him i used burn and we had a rofl using a laser was it better to not use burn or use burn and have the -10 armor help everything else that was shooting queen?
  2. vexxenon

vexxenon Well-Known Member

.... I know my grammer/spelling is bad, but holyshit man! Use a comma wouldnt hurt.

But for the situation you've described, where was charley company? If they are also tanking and situation is stable with med shielding tank, then id care more about mobs so you position doesnt get over run. If charley is decimated and all is left is the four of you, I'm pretty sure youll need to crowd control the entrances, and hope the med is shielding everyone. But then again what do I know, the only time I play pyro is random.
  3. Miracle
    • Development Team
    • Community Leader

Miracle NOTD Staff: Assistant of many things

If there's only one laser being used, then burn is better, otherwise you should just keep using inferno whenever the queen lays eggs.
  4. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

If all of your weapons that are being used are armor ignoring weapons (Barret, Flamethrower, HMG, Stinger, L3), or the Laser Rifle, then not burning would be more beneficial.

If the primary Weapons of your group were Light/ Armor affected weapons (SMG, Pistol, HK, M5, Gauss) then Burn would be better.
  5. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Rifle should've been using a not-laser.
  6. Gattu

Gattu Well-Known Member

With 20 armour on eos laser does 136.36 dps

With 10 armour laser does 90.91 dps (lost of 45.45 dps)
    With 2 laser users lost of 90.9 dps

Burn is 200 dps channeling.

A gain of 154.55 dps or 109.1 dps (1 and 2 lasers in use respectively with burn)
    But if assuming shit hit the fan and kiting is involved, shooting may only last for 5 seconds.
    Taking into account the nature of Burn in this situation it would do an average of 100 dps, gain of 54.55 dps or 9.1 dps

Note these numbers assume recruit mode no other armour debuffs and don't factor in the opportunity cost of say finding a hmg or saving the energy to use inferno or even a smite lvl 1.

TL;DR burn is better for this particular situation

edit: Also like to add hmg has 78 dps so as long as the target has more then 8 armour laser would do more damage
  7. spartanhija

spartanhija Member

Well put dust
  8. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

There is something you miss about burn and kiting.
    1: burn needs to channel up 20dps to 200dps which takes 10seconds
    2: burn does not deal any damage for 2 seconds
    3: if you cancel burn due to kiting or queen moving out of the tiny range, you start at 0 again
  9. Gattu

Gattu Well-Known Member

For points 1 and 3 I already considered it here

Which is in accordance to the wiki of increments of 50 to 200 taking 4 seconds.

But if it was in increments of 20 instead then the average damage for 5 sec channeling would be 60 dps which means a net gain of +15 dps with only 1 laser, with 2 lasers we have a lost instead of -30 dps.

As for your second point I'm not sure that actually happens. If its to do with casting animation before damage is applied, rough estimates would wildly distort the calculated kiting dps as it is dealing with seconds. I will check your second point further and update values when i get the chance.
  10. spartanhija

spartanhija Member

I would think due to kiting, unless queen is being tanked, you would risk death and waste energy using burn, unless you able to sit and continuously do it.
  11. Blaze

Blaze New Member

queen was being tanked and charlie was at full strength -1 flamer that the demo looked at the start
  12. ForeRunner

ForeRunner Well-Known Member

The other main concern worth noting at that point is ammo...If your group is getting lowish on ammo you would be better spent on crowd control so the lasers will have maximun effect per round and so they dont need to expend bullets to keep the horde thinned out
  13. Blaze

Blaze New Member

charlie was on the low ground distracting mobs so i didnt need to worry aboutt crowds