The Pathfinder: Design decisions and balance concerns

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Kith, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

Odd thing about that nite is that i was in that same game and i kept thinking, "damn, this class is really op".
  2. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

Any class is OP with a competent user.
  3. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Operations and Web

I just solo'd a 2000 sr vet with Assassin Marksman as part of my upcoming "dispell all the myths" project. Not Subtlety Marksman where I just shadowstep and stealth all the mobs, full on knife and kite Assman. Give me a bit and I'll solo it as something even sillier like FA Medic or Surveillance Recon.

If you have the skill, you can make anything look OP.
  4. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

In terms of destructive potential, I would argue that PF is above the herd in that regard. You couldn't deal that same amount of damage with this kind of efficiency even if you were an extremely proficient other class I don't think, especially that early in the game.
  5. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Oh, SurvCon is quite a bit easier to solo with. That Reaper is highly underestimated as a tool of destruction.

As far as the "PF deals a lot of damage real easy and no one else tears it up like that regardless of skill with that class"?

Niteshade, OpsComm, that is all.
  6. Pyromaniac

Pyromaniac Well-Known Member

I'm not a moderator, but I feel we are straying off topic.
  7. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

What is with you people lately?
  8. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Do you think the Gunslinger tree can be a bit more micro intensive - especially since it's a Sec Team class?

Atm, it is mainly positioning + press E (Fast Five). When bosses or key mobs appear, press W (Shoot to Maim) for additional damage/slow.
  9. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

You could make Trick Shot a toggle. That or we can come up with an Active T3...
  10. Hades

Hades Member

Thing with gunslinger and whole pathfinder

If you want to play safe you dont get too close to bosses like ivax/seth/hades
    As a jumper you can jump on stuff and shield out to evade the inc dmg

As a gunslinger your main dmg output is a pistol, however a pistol (afaik) has a lower range then regular guns. But the talents require a pistol.

This goes against nature of not going near bosses when you are a low health class. (like mm next to boss=bad idea).A bit of an extension to the range of the pistol as a proficiency woul make me play him a lot more. I got tons of CP in engineer but in sec team i really dont want to pick pf because its a very squishy risky pick.

And with all those devourers with banes on top of them i'm not really amused of jumping around either.
  11. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

The pistol can get up to 14 range, provided you leveled him up for Pistol Mastery.
  12. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

With his innate bonus, and the bonuses from Handgun Expertise you actually end up with more range than a Gauss Rifle. But Squishies getting close is one of those skills that is a benchmark for various DPS King classes. Like the SubMM being able to get Mastered, Concentrated, Quick Aimed Flamethrowering done on a boss, or the OpsComm belting out so much DPS that it breaks the game using Adrenaline Surgical Flamethrowering doom.

Though far as having an Active T3? How about something like:

John Woo Powers Activate:

5 Energy, 10 second duration, 20 second cool down.

Doubles pistol use values. (Uses 2 rounds to deal double damage with normal attacks. Energy costs for Pistol skills are doubled. Bonuses from skills such as Handgun Expertise or Status Inflicting via Shoot to Maim are doubled.)
  13. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

The Guns Akimbo thing has been suggested tons of times before, and let me tell you, its a bad plan. Breaks NOTD in half. Invaders Must Die doesn't need to become an active, but Fast Five becoming something that requires a target to cast on would increase the micro exponentionally and make it WAY less of a pain in the ass to use. The current "blink and you'll miss it" buff thing is something that id like to see changed, and making Fast Five require a target will do that just fine. Also make it so you can use it on neutral things without spam clicking, like rocks or turrets.