The Mentor Medal (Good Guy Greg)

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by brizingr5, May 14, 2013.

1. Niktos

Niktos Well-Known Member

Same for me, i started +/- year ago so only big change in my 'career' was bnet throwing things upside down. I did not experience first hand any of often mentioned features like old silver star,bronze, gravgun, or even shiva short of flamer bug.

That probably influences my opinions as i had an rather easy start when things were figured out and i was lucky to get Ghost as my source of info.

That being said to sumarize my opinion and cut all the offtopic that starts to overshadow actual topic.

Medal like this is cool but defining newb and mentor will be tricky and possibly abusable.
    It could replace bronze or lsm but only not being tied in any way to their current form. As a new entity.
  2. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

All medals should be the same in their innate bonuses.

When the old medal is removed, I would avoid giving Credit, XP, Rating, Karma, and the like.

Simply put, the one's who will be forced to exchange likely already be maxed out on those.

Instead, an Aesthetic bonus should be given.

Just a neat thought:

If we replace Silver Star; give the player the option to have his character's textures changed to a silverish color / design.

If we replace Bronze Star; give the player the option to have his character's textures changed to a bronzeish color / design.

Of course, it is only limited to those two, as none of the other's have a color associated to their name.

Maybe if Lifesaving is removed, have it attach a red + sign under neath the character.

All options should be toggle-able.

But before any of that would happen, we'd need another Sub-menu for changing player colors, something that was proposed a while back.

Similar to distributing Weapon Mods / Stat Points, it would be an independent screen that allowed you to choose your "default" color / predator / Rank Icon.

Yeah, one will be needed in the future if there are to be a variety in tournament rewards.
  3. brizingr5

brizingr5 Member

Or just use chat commands. Anybody who needs to know about it will either be on the forums to learn about it, in contact with somebody who is on forums to learn about, or we can just put it in c-log, guide, and make big neon announcements in-game.
    ^really only if the menu thing doesn't work out though.
  4. Shooz
    • Donator

Shooz NOTD Staff: Killjoy

This will not be approached guys. The idea for NOTD's development is not to replace things and cause more work whenever someone cries out that the sky will fall soon. It's working as intended for now so there's no need to touch it. Things that need our focus would be proposed and accepted class reworks, balance, and bug fixes. There may be small bits here and there as well but nothing so large as to replace something entirely for people's fear of being unable to get it later.
  5. Miracle
    • Development Team
    • CN/TW Liaison

Miracle NOTD Staff: Assistant of many things

The intention of having a medal for teaching new people is good, even better if obtainable in public games, if it means more high experience players going back to help new players out, because from what I have experienced so far, only a handful play pub game, many being bad examples by leaving the game if they random and don't get off-story character or getting a class they dislike.

Again, it's impossible to tell who is a new player from the game stats, for example a veteran player without loading his/her bank will still outplay someone who tried NOTD for the first time. Using rating/karma won't work either, you can still get easy medal having friends who deliberately drop to 1400 rating or so, with nightmare unlocked at 500 exp, it doesn't take that long to come up with a 500 exp bank to help friend get GGG medal on nightmare. Oh did I mention about people who make backups of his/her bank regularly? I think I still have bank files of 1000 exp lying somewhere, saves time having to make one by playing pub games.

I say skip the idea of GGG for now, until a suitable criteria is thought out.

However, I don't understand the purpose of silver star though, is it a medal for testing individual skills? Or Rifleman skills? Not everyone likes Rifleman, the maximum 10-hit restriction especially puts people off playing well (by that I mean avoiding hits would be their first priority, rather than help with team DPS), especially if they are pressured from getting too many unnecessary hits at the start. Another problem is many people play for expeditionary medal when it comes to harder games, it can be frustrating if you are trying to get silver star but someone else gets Rifleman (whether it is experience restriction or other factors), especially if you know the game is 'wasted' because the Rifleman player gets hit too often.

I think some classes other than Rifleman that is 'difficult to play' should be able to get it, for example Marksman and Recon (assuming something can be done to stop Recons from getting easy medal by using cloak for the whole game, or Marksman stealth in a similar manner). Psi Ops and Forward Observer might be appropriate too, but Pathfinder would make it too easy because of his movespeed and shield.
  6. Scorpione

Scorpione Well-Known Member

it was kithrixx idea n asked bri to present it.
  7. brizingr5

brizingr5 Member

^true story (well, kith didn't come up with the idea (kyo600 did), he just asked me to present it to BO, lol)

I didn't want to say anything and just let kith himself respond, but I guess since he's been busy or had nothing to say on the matter, I have to say it myself. He originally asked me to present this when I first become a BO, when shields hits were crazy, silver star was actually under fire (the reason it was targeted originally as being replaced), and this idea was actually originally suggested in the public suggestions forum. I know it's a bit late, but he still told me to go ahead with it via pm's. Regardless of whether or not this gets implemented in NotD1, aren't suggestions for NotD2 still up?

^basically saying that even though the suggestions may not be accepted doesn't mean the discussion is made void.

EVEN IF this medal is not accepted, we have still pointed out major flaws in at least 3 other medals that will have to be addressed if we are to polish this game to perfection. And, lets face it, they're much smaller changes than the 3 class reworks that are currently works in progress (not to undermine their importance). Just need to be discussed, debated, decided upon, and re-implemented.

-------------------------------------
    As for the actual topic at hand:
    Lacus, I have heard a lot of dislike towards the exp system being used for the qualifier of the role of teacher or student, but what about the idea of using the first 15 (for example) number of wins as a qualifier. This could be simply calculated by using the wins counter already in game. If you are bellow a certain number of wins, you are qualified as a noob and eligible to be taught by a pro, a player above a certain number of wins in whatever game mods.

As far as cheesing and farming goes, it's really going to happen with any medal that only specific players in the group can get. There's always the option for the rest of the group to sacrifice something so that one player can get it. All we can do is discourage it by forcing the rest of the group to give up more. Maybe instead of just one "noob" or "student," require 2-3? If people were going to farm this medal, they would need 3 volunteers to not gain exp/medals/credits/etc. for that game. If people are going to that extent to farm this medal, I feel we have other issues with this community. There will always be flaws and loopholes in the system, we just need to find a way to either patch them up or discourage people from using them.

AP/Ability, can I get your opinions on how hard this medal would be from a coding stand points? Myself, I don't see it being all that complicated from a logical/"pseudo-code" standpoint, but some other people seemed to be worried about what seems to me to be only a handful of if statements.
  8. Shooz
    • Donator

Shooz NOTD Staff: Killjoy

@Scorpione, It was not kith's idea it was kyo who said it and I told him to post his idea in the NotD suggestions.

@Istalri, I'm not telling you that it wont be in NOTD 2. I'm saying there is no reason to mess with our current working system so it will not be approached. I do think that a medal like this would be interesting though.
  9. Scorpione

Scorpione Well-Known Member

I expressed myself poorly my fault. What i mean it was kith's idea to tell bri to suggest this here.
  10. brizingr5

brizingr5 Member

Thank you for clarifying yourself.

Now, can we continue to discuss a good idea (interesting in your words) without constantly being told that it's never going to happen? If Ability veto's it, then it gets veto'd and we shut the hell up. If it's an idea worth having in NotD1, then it will happen. If it's not, then we will push for it in NotD2. I see no reason why this discussion cannot continue, especially based on the fact that another Dev at the same rank as, if not high than, yourself (Kithrixx) specifically told me to make this thread and develop the idea.
  11. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

I have been very sick recently. That said, I like the idea. The concept of a leadership medal has always appealed to me - it encourages vets to keep newbies alive during pubs rather than abandoning them.

After seeing the arguments presented here, I cannot condone having it placed in NOTD. There's just too much work to be done and, after thinking about it, I am not excited about the concept of putting in a new infrastructure to track actions that would allow someone to achieve this medal.

That said, I will be adapting this concept for NOTD2. I plan on completely restructuring the Medal system anyways and starting from scratch means I can put in the action validators in from the very beginning rather than having to retrofit entire campaigns.
  12. Ryan III

Ryan III Well-Known Member

I'm all for the new medal, this will help newer players stay alive because the vets are actually getting something to do it.
  13. brizingr5

brizingr5 Member

Is there a location for NotD2 discussion where this could be moved to? Can we participate in NotD2 conversation (if it exists)? Should threads be made about issues for the other medals, or do we just not care?
  14. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

Well, would be better to wait to discuss medals for NOTD2 until Kith gives us his draft of the medal system for NOTD2 so that we can see the format for the medals.
  15. Arturia

Did I have funkadelic moon adventures or something?

I could have sworn we had a NOTD2 Pre-introduction sub-forum in Black Ops. I can't find it at least.

Last I remember, Kithrixx did mention something about medals for NOTD2. A new medal system.

Something being gained by doing something along the lines of a "feat", and medals provided a specific bonus, such as Purple Heart giving + max life.

Medals were something that you picked which you could bring along with you, and only the ones you brought with you applied a bonus to you. The rest just sat idle doing nothing for you. Pretty sure it was like you could only bring 2 or so medals along with you that would buff you, but medals would be more potent in their effects.

I'm not the only one who is not seeing the NOTD2 Pre-introduction sub-forum, right? Because I can't find it at all. And I know we had one.
  16. Thermidor

Thermidor Well-Known Member

No I can't see the notd2 sub-forum either. It disappeared when we moved over to the new forum. It's still on the old forum though.
  17. Arturia

Thanks, found what I was looking for:

http://notdstarcraft.com/previousforum/showthread.php?tid=1518

That's the Medal System Kith revealed.

18. brizingr5

brizingr5 Member

Well, considering I never had an idea for a reward with the original presentation, I guess not much changes from what is already presented. A few tweaks might need to be made (please point out what they are so I can edit the original post to make it more fitting for NotD2), but otherwise, all we need is a reward that's fitting for NotD2.