The K Report: Weapons

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Kith, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

If anyone ever noticed, Stalin, the Sniper Rifle mini, racks up an impressive amount of kills, should he survive.

The sniper is a damn beast against most things. But the Pistol is a Short Range sniper with splash and no penalties.

Loses: Damage & Range & Armor Pen
    Gets: Faster attack speed, splash, lower weight, rapid reload, rapid switching, no negative type modifiers
    A note: deals more then enough damage to penetrate any armor value found in the game. I don't recall if anything has more then 20 armor; it deals damage until the enemy has 27 or more armor, at which point it deals .5 damage.

Though, I thought we made the pistol have 2 lost per point of armor, not 1.5.
  2. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Movin' this on over to NOTD Discussion, considering that things have died down here and people are talking about new weapons again.
  3. Eagle 11

Eagle 11 Well-Known Member

The points brought up are all valid.
    About pistol: I think its clip size needs to be decreased even further.

About Railgun:
    Idea seems to be overpowering,as solution i can propose that it will use energy as ammo. Max clip:1 Reloads for 75-90 energy. The energy is substracted upon reload command and you cant lay it off/swap for duration of reload. Since this will render the user out of mana it must be dropped&passed to another person quickly after firing if it has to continously fire.

About Plasma Cannon:
    Unsure if trolling or serious. Its my favourite weapon in TLS,as long you can manage to aim it via attack ground to avoid the annoying charge-up but doesnt fire bug you will annihilate entire groups at once provided you have guessed the timing of projectile correctly. However since we have a rocketlauncher here fulfilling similar role im unsure if we need this. I mean we dont need 3 varieties of Stinger,one good against light one against heavy and the original one. Even if needed such a thing that could be done via an warhead switch ability for Stinger or such.
  4. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

What are you referencing? There are a lot of points.

Pistol's clip size was never decreased, nor should it be.

How do you figure it's overpowered? It has lower base damage than the Stinger by 100 points, in addition to a much smaller splash and a movespeed penalty for firing it.

No.

How would it be trolling?

I'm unsure if we need different classes with differing DPS styles. Commando is most suited for NOTD, so let's get rid of the Marksman, the Rifleman, the Assault, the Flamethrower, the Pathfinder, the Technician, and the Chemical Expert.

Considering that variety is the spice of life and that all three weapons would function in wildly different fashions, yes, I do think we need this.

No. That's stupid. The Stinger is already extremely powerful, and it doesn't need to be buffed to answer all problems. The reason that the concept heavy weapons are as they are is because they will force the team to adjust tactics based on what heavy weapon they receive from beating Seth, which will not only add variety in weapons, but also in playstyle (slight differences, but they'll be there).
  5. Eagle 11

The points at post 1 ofc,you silly :p

Ah it should be decreased and function compensated for frequentlier reloading instead. After all its a sidearm with a small clip.

Hmm i thought Railgun will fire like Ghoststalker's Railgun in Tiberian Sun damaging all in projectile's path. That wouldve lead to some serious cheese :p Apologies if it was just man-carried version of X-1 gun and nothing more.

(See. Kiting hordes with Stinger,imagine you have -100 dmg but nice slow effect on it. Pair it with cloak recon's slowdown skill he can kite the horde all the day long around the map multiple times. Or perhaps your intelligent enough to build in a setup-teardown for it,yeah that couldve been)

Nope. But we dont decide to make Commando into 2 Classes each one having one skill tree either,just because that wouldve meant even more diversity.

Yeahyeah,cant really complain about more toys to toy around with :)

It wasnt necessarily meant to be a buff. I thought more of an trade-off like normal losing splash,second mode being Splinter warhead with splash and -50% to heavy dmg etc.
  6. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

It's hardly an obvious thing, considering that there's also 5 pages of dissenting opinion and discussion. Please be more specific in the future.

More frequent. Also, the pistol is fine as it is.

Nope. Linear splash from the impacted unit. I shoot a zombie, he and everything behind him dies.

Yeah, that's going to be possible. The projectile will be slow, however, so you have to carefully measure that sort of stuff.

My point was that I was following the train of thought that you presented, which was to simply min/max and if it worked, to go with it. Just because the Stinger is adequate doesn't mean that we can't enjoy more variety.

That is a huge buff, though. Imagine, if you would, that the Captain was suddenly allowed to have two weapon loadouts per mission and freely switch between them during the match. I could very easily take the Heavy Bolter as my first loadout and the Lightning Claw/Combat Shield as my second. Suddenly, I'm well equipped to deal with anything the game has to throw at me. It's not a direct buff that would increase its damage or range, but it would be something that would make it FAR more versatile and therefore much more powerful. Once you got the Stinger, what would the point be to using the other weapons if the Stinger is capable of simply switching modes and being effective against all targets in all situations?
  7. Archangel

Archangel Well-Known Member

what normal pistol has 30-40 rounds per mag? Don't even try to argue extended mags or the fancy drum mags that u can get for 1911's

I think u should reduce the mag size of it. The damn thing is strong as shit anyways.
  8. Eagle 11

And this neither means we can leave things in their state without perfectionizing them as much as possible for the sake of justificating
    the addition of new content that would cover the current one's flaws.

But ill end debating for this can go on for millenia if it wants :D
  9. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

A space pistol. Also, don't start arguing realism, because then we'll start getting into the bullshit "why to players carry around flamethrower ammo and stinger rockets and grenades for the grenade launcher" and all sorts of other crap.
  10. Archangel

ID like it explained. Any other game u play can explain it. Mass effect went with Thermal clips. Used in all weapons as a generic. Others had ammo stock piles like crysis 2. what do we have?
  11. Eagle 11

^
    how do you breathe on moon,why there are canyons on the moon,how does a smg function without atmosphere,how does every marine magically possess the knowledge of using every weapon properly,why the retards at orbit dont drop those items in bundles at a LZ,How does a man carry 382 mags without getting crushed under the weight,why there is a giant robot hiding in a mineshaft,who is dr. bergmann,why is the airlock bigger than apollo,how does artillery fire in closed area like laboratory,how can a huge zombie shoot spinning lazors,holy crowbar +5,quick aim for sniper,psi-ops etc.
  12. Archangel

well i wasn't going to go this in depth but sure.

Also. Fast Five is a movie title and also it doesn't shoot 5 bullets and has bugged me since you made it.
  13. squish

squish Well-Known Member

The reason the pistol is so powerful is because it electromagnetically charges, and then ACCELERATES a projectile. It's called a GAUSS weapon for a reason. Hence, I propose that the Gauss rifle have its damage NERFED to 8 per shot, and BUFFED to IGNORE armor, the attack speed remains the same, and just fucking remove the bonuses. Flat 8 damage to all the things. That'd make it a "General Purpose" Rifle. Thoughts?
    [hr]
    New weapon idea: Pistol.
    P18 AUTO
    Rate of fire: .2
    Damage: 15 per shot; +3 and a 10% slow vs light and no double tapping god damnit
    Armor reduction: 3 per point
    Splash: 1.5
    Range: 7
    Affected by gunslinger tree of pf
    Ammo consumption: 1
    weight: 10 (slightly more than p45 due to it being full auto)
    Rarity: Uncommon
    Reload time: .8 (new mag, and rack the slide back)
    Special: due to the recoil involved; 15% chance to miss the target entirely and deal ZERO damage.
  14. Emperor

Emperor New Member

Doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo it.
  15. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Nope. No need for an full auto pistol that shoots faster then an SMG.
    [hr]
    Fast Five is scripted as a real fast attack speed boost that lasts for a very short duration.
  16. Archangel

then call it bump fire
  17. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

An unfortunate coincidence, but I don't actually care. What it's actually referencing is this.

Talk to Ability about that.

No. PF would turn into a pain machine (moreso than he is now) and a weapon that has an inherent chance to miss is terrible.

We have magical bullets. It's a video game about shooting space zombies on the moon. If it really bothers you that much, I'll cook up something during lore revisions once I do those, but for the time being, it doesn't really matter and arguing about it isn't going to change my mind about the Pistol's ammo consumption/magazine size.
  18. Ryan III

Ryan III Well-Known Member

Every marine has a head piece ( more or less ) that allows them to breathe on the moon. SMG was probably updated from the 20th century, every marine is an elite. The "retards" in orbit do, did the ec dropship slip your mind? Alpha company don't get any LZ supplies because if you've read the lore for alpha company, they landed into an intense firefight and then communications with them were cut and they were presumed dead. Apollo security was also thought dead. A man can carry over 300 mags with no effort (yea right) is because he has a power suit. A giant robot can hide in a mineshaft because if you've ever visited a mineshaft, it's huge, especially some major ones. Dr. Bergman is the scientist whom started the infestation. The whole map IS Apollo. Dr. Tanaka injected a mutated zombie strain into Dr. Gunjan. Artillery can. Be fired virtually anywhere. It's hard to regenerate while your a pile of goo. Marksmen can try to push their skills to the limit enabling them to "Quick Aim", the Psi Ops are psionicly enhanced. And please tell me what etc is.
  19. squish

squish Well-Known Member

Kithrixx: I've a solution to your magazines for all the guns thing.
    Magazines power replicators in the weapon. Depending on the power of the projectile, depletes the charge of a power pack.
    Stinger is largely powerful, 10 charges of 30/60 40/80/120/160 <(arms assault here)
    Pistols, flamethrowers, etcetera, are relatively weak. 1 charge out of the above. problem solved.
  20. Nebibubi

Nebibubi New Member

Actually, this being in the future and deep space and all, this is a good idea. Makes more sense at least