The K Report: Side Missions

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Kith, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Banned forever
  2. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Yo guys.

So Arcane and I were talking about Comms tower.

Now, what if (and bear with me on this one) Comms didn't spawn Agrons, and instead spawned Devourers with some Infested Marine backup for Nightmare?

The reasoning behind this is because
    A: Agrons are boring and overused
    B: We're currently touching the Mob Recon and making NOTD a bit more Mob-friendly
    C: Comms is boring and I would like to spice things up a bit.

I'd like to cut Comms out of the Speed equation at some point (as it is an optional mission), but that's probably going to be pretty far down the line so for now all I'm gonna suggest are some tweaks.
  3. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

I'm fine.
  4. ImaDomo
    • Donator

ImaDomo Clad In Armour

Yeh devs would prob be more interesting, with a bunch of them spawning banes when they die. Sometimes comms spawns way too much agrons, and we get rape.
  5. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

Do it. I haven't played comms on NM yet, but ranged units and exploding units should mix things up from the usual hunkerdownandmurdereverythingwithoverwhelmingfirepower-ish vibe we got going on.
  6. vexxenon

vexxenon Well-Known Member

For comm with argon spawns, depending on the location and timing of the spawn, you can potentially end up losing a player or two. Generally, teams would trig comm just before lab and take care of the mobs all together, then have someone finish it up. By changing spawn to devs and infested marines, this tactic will still be used.

Not saying this is an invalid tactic.
  7. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Make it spawn Stalkers instead of Devourers in Non-nightmare modes. Otherwise, it looks like it would make Mob recon only useful in nightmare for that mission, but not useful in Non-nightmare games.

Kinda like how Recruit has 2 Nydus worms, and non-recuit modes have 4.
  8. Lulz

Lulz Well-Known Member

perhaps leave 1-5 agrons so mob recon cant just go to sleep on the hex? i mean making shit that easy cant be the best way to get mob con some love
  9. spartanhija

spartanhija Member

I think having them spawn more fluidly but profusely would make it less boring.
    Its sit there for 3 minutes, and at a min and a half you get a bit of lag and a bunch of crap thrown at u then sit there for another minute.

Make spawns less massive but more frequent.

not saying make them smaller in number but make them spread out.

If increasing difficulty, also increasing reward? Comms are worth 3xp max, 1 rating max, and potentiel death of several ppl especially in pub.

Just my opinion.
  10. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

- Slightly more diverse spawns in Comms Tower mission. (Kithrixx)
    - Performance Bonus for Comms Tower mission increased from 1 to 3. Taking more than 360 seconds to complete Comms Tower mission will result in 2 rating loss. This is to incentivize completion of the mission as intended vs. activating it and returning later.
  11. Klobber

Klobber Well-Known Member

Was wondering what you guys thought about removing speed association with comms and instead give comms a cred reward(based on how long you take to finish the sequence). This may encourage people to finish comms as a side mission(as quickly as possibly) and not a requirement.
  12. Thermidor

Thermidor Well-Known Member

I'd personally be fine with that, as long as the credit reward isn't too big because credits are primarily a long term reward for veteran players, who have unlocked many of NOTD's other rewards.
  13. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Comms will be removed as a speed requirement when the Recon Rework launches.

Earning credits based on mission completion speed is a "maybe".
  14. brizingr5

brizingr5 Member

Along the lines of what arcane said: In the spirit of "side missions" being "side missions" and not part of the core plot, I would say that it shouldn't have penalties, shouldn't have an impact on speed (which means give speed a time bonus if you complete them so they are done with little to no impact), and their reward should not be related to the main plot. If a side mission is going to be optional, then promote people to do them by making the rewards better. People do seth for the credits, weapons, and mags. What incentive is there to do comms or chem? Give a reward similar to seth and more people would do it.
  15. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Chems actually gives a ton of credits. People refuse to do it because of old grudges.
  16. brizingr5

brizingr5 Member

I feel like a lot of people don't even know about how to do chems properly. Even I'm a little iffy on what we're talking about. We're talking about the scrapyard leak, correct?

Besides, comms is the only that always gets abused. Maybe include the same trigger for eggs as for comms; it can't be started without the whole/majority of the team being there.

p.s.: kith reply to my pm D;
  17. Niktos

Niktos Well-Known Member

Yes chem is those 3hexes near scrap yard trap.
    Chem is do or die objective, as the moment it is started unending spawn of frenzied agrons, devourers and some lesser zombies are unleashed. Dont know how it is in NA, but for EU chem is pretty much taboo in -nm games. I done it succesfully twice out of like 6total atempts both 'succesfull' chem runs took a toll of teammates lives one being me. It being long ass download doesnt help either as if im not wrong its 0/500 (or 300).
  18. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

NM Chems takes a ton of coordination, something that not everybody has. You have to know exactly where to put everyone and not have certain rocks broken. Otherwise, you're probably going to have someone die.
    [hr]
    I will when I'm less busy. Writing short replies to topics takes a lot less time than reviewing a proposal when I'm already swamped with work as it is.
  19. brizingr5

brizingr5 Member

NA we do it without even trying... just use mando nuke constantly. I think part of that might have to do with we don't destroy the top 2 rocks early on, but I'm not sure. We start it on the way from cerberes to civs on AC, in EC Pub I don't think we even know that it exists (... I don't think that it does actually, not sure, not too familiar with that part of the game), and in EC NM we don't generally do it either...

Which makes me realize we really only do it in AC. But even so, we do it like it's a breeze, nm or not. NA makes Chems look as ezpz as EU make wave 10-30 or so look so ezpz in surv.
  20. MissHumpz
    • Event Coordinator
    • Community Leader

MissHumpz NOTD Staff: Event Coordinator & Amazing Amazer

Kloppy has the right idea I believe. The main reason people avoid side missions, is that they are time consuming and aren't rewarding enough. If you made them a little more desirable, whether it be by credits, xp, guns, ammo mods, health kits, etc. People will actually consider sacrificing speed in order to do the bonus objectives. And if they can do both, complete bonus objectives and still get speed, then they bloody deserve it.