The engineer

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Ryan III, Apr 18, 2012.

1. OdinTL

OdinTL New Member

I find engy class a little bland since the other classes seem much more fun to play with. I still haven't been able to mc a flock a mutas yet and it's a lot of work to control all the mc'ed units. Combat is to me a boring dps.
  2. HDD
    • Donator

HDD Well-Known Member

I like the Engineer, Most likely when i'm playing Field Support. its the fact i can help in near every situation. And has for the combat tree, its just silly how OP it is, even whit all the Buff/nerf it gots, it remain powerful and you near to do nothing Except Moving and eating some popcorn, Nite showed that before, just holding fire and let the X1 kill stuff, It require like 100 times less efforts than the Field Support Tree.

1st : The Probe

Personnaly i find them really Useful for a Bait and lure zombies away or just flip tart over is fine too, For the ability part (Q for Slow and W for Armor) people to tend to forget it and just never use it, because they can slow/reduce armor down a Huge single target for 5 sec, which sometimes the opportunity to shoot the boss down , The DPS is not here, but just a STUN. For some Reason i always put 1 points in probe, because 1 is enough and they always die too.

2nd : Plasma Discharge

The only WHORING skill in the Field Support Tree. At level 3, his damage is high enough to take normal zombies down in 1 Satchel. Its helpful for boss But you have to make sure you put at the right spot, or it just troll your teammate for the Armor reduction and movespeed making them defenseless, specially a tank when he is doing his job, that fuck him up so hard. All it does mostly its Whoring XP so he can at least follow his teammate a bit. Level 1 and 2, arent powerful enough and not even worth to use it until level 3. (ALL here its my opinion, if you are against this then its all cool)

3rd : The towers

The Towers are something else and must of the community know about it. My use of it , its like everyone who is using FS engie. Giving out some extra small DPS and be able to STUN often too (If you blow up and rebuild it again, its near a infinite stun -- THAT if your fast enough) . We got a extra ability -- Kill Signal , i still find it useless, because the damage is too low and its trolling your member who is searching for some defense position. Its not like im gonna tell them to move away from 9 range when we got swarmed by zombies =.=. THEY are meant for defense use! D**N its that hard to understand that

4rd : The Energy Battery

A decent passive skill, but extremely useful for everyone. Because they can cast multiples times their Ability/Skill than Normal.Like for the engie, most of time , he is merely depleting all his energy whit that (Unless he spam satchel or Tower Stun) And also you are less Static compare to a Supply station, when you got to stand on it which is a + for mobility , but it doesnt give the ammo in bonus :p

5th : The Field Nexus

People hate it and People love it, First of all, Its the fact of the use of Mind Control (aka MC). It giving you the opportuity to create a zoo of various zombies, Such has making an Army of Agron is near unstopable, because it tanks many damage and give some decent dps, Even if they got reduced in their attack speed, they are still most of the time the life saver of the team. What people hate its again, The micro intensive it require, because the AI tend to screw you up , because they ran away from you and you trying to make your zoo. Its Anti-Air ability, its not really used, because like 95% of the case the Air unit is dead before you got the time to press it. The only times when it helps, its when the team dont have the DPS to push back a Muta Waves, other than that its a waste.

My FS build is always Tier 1: 1 / 3 -- Tier 2: 2 / 2 -- Tier 3: 1[hr]
    If i was to re-work the Engineer, It would be the Combat Tree and do some work on it. Like putting OFFENSIVE TOWERS and some special ability that make it offensive and still micro, like Sentry guns that peera mentionned. The X1 just kill everything no exception. Ill leave Field support has it is, cause its meant for Support and DEFENSIVE style
  3. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

I just don't find it fun. I'll play it when asked to and I'll want one on my team, sure. I just won't like playing it.
  4. Thermidor

Thermidor Well-Known Member

Here's Shooz's thought on the engineer. Dug it up from the most hated class thread.

5. SkullCapp

SkullCapp Well-Known Member

I like engineer, no matter what tree. FS tree is very challenging and I would use tower as to stun enemies or to block people such as blocking newb from entering lab too early. Combat tree is a great to get Lolz as X1 is amazing early tank and can fire LAZORSBblargZOMG lasers of mass destruction.
    However, I agreed with someone as kill signal is useless and doesn't contribute at all.
  6. Phaslix

Phaslix New Member

never really saw that much of an issue with engineers. It is really easy to whore exp even without trying. As for Field build, I just put 3 into combat's X1 bot and continue with the left tree. Generally by doing it this way, you replace the need to plasma discharge for leveling and can find yourself hitting t3 around the same time (if not faster) as everyone else.
  7. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

Doesnt that just speak volumes for the speed at which combat levels, vs how worthless it is to level field?

You more or less just proved everything wrong with engineer.
  8. Phaslix

Phaslix New Member

Actually you're right.

The bot itself is enough to make the engy an exp whore
  9. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Now your getting it. Its because any pet unit gives itself exp, and its host exp. This is why Reaper drone can level itself up just fine, without stealing exp from its host recon. Reaper gets a kill, it gets exp, recon also gets exp (that came from nowhere) so its like 200% exp for every reaper kill (100% for drone, 100% for master, ~5% for anyone close by). However, X1 doesnt level up, so that "extra exp" for minion units goes into the Engineer (it has no place else to). So essentially the X1 makes 200% exp for every kill. 100% for itself, 100% for engy, however it doesnt level up, so that extra 100% just forced back into Engy. Thats why he levels up so goddamn fast, he's quite literally making his own exp with every X1 kill. Note that the usual "tiny percentage" is shared to nearby allies.
  10. Ryan III

Ryan III Well-Known Member

Quick question: how big is the x-1's splash?
  11. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Not big. Last I checked it hovered around 0.7~
  12. HDD
    • Donator

HDD Well-Known Member

I was thinking that we could switch the X1 Guardian (Combat Tree) by the Plasma Discharge in the Field Support. and replace ''Its Me Again'' by a Flaming Turrets. Might has well getting a brand new concept in the Engineer Combat Tree lol
  13. Zuriel

Zuriel Well-Known Member

That sounds like it will make it whore up even more exp. No go. I repeat, no go.
  14. ProbeGst

ProbeGst Well-Known Member

so probe/guardian
    battery/flaming turrets OPNESSSS
    mindcontrole!!!

COMbat
    increase damage/decrease armor and speed
    every hit is stunn/increase base damage
    switch gun to LAZORS!!!
  15. Kenno

Kenno Well-Known Member

As one of the known Engy players, I guess I should put my 2 cents into one of my favourite classes.

Well, where to begin. Nerfing towers and X-1 initially pissed me off, but I understand why this was necessary. But seriously, if you think the X-1 is nerfed now, then you are in all honesty, playing it wrong. Period.

As it stands, I actually do find myself liking the current Combat tree more. I never really did before, as my forte is controlling and micro-ing massive armies. I for one love Agrons and Slashers, and seeing one killed still disturbs me.

The increased micro for the Combat tree I enjoy, as it more resembles the Field tree for me, with increased involvement and button pressing. You can no longer be lazy and just have the X-1 follow you around killing all and sundry. BoomHeadShot was something that used to be overlooked until the buff. Overdrive is still wonderful, but in the wrong/noob/troll hands it can be an annoying kill-stealing skill. Once I obtain Overdrive, I make a point of NOT using it at the drop of a hat so that the rest of the team can level. However, once everyone has T3, well, then it's often FFA ;) I mainly reserve it now for bosses, and mobs when kiting the Queen.

Field Support has, and will probably always be, one of my true loves of NOTD. It just has so many useful abilities when used properly. I wish I had a dollar for everytime those humble probes/scv's have prevented the team being wiped by huggers at the Mine.

Like Overdrive, Plasma Discharge can be another troll skill when used recklessly. With no SS Recon, lvl-3 PD spam can enable the Engy to acquire Battery fast (especially with -CP), for increased energy regen for the team. However, once this is achieved, the engy should then stop the spam to allow the others to level. Controlled PD use can easily reduce the incoming horde to a flock of leg-braced Forrest Gumps for the team to whore and level (without being KS'd by the Engy).

Towers, even with the nerf, are still one of the most useful abilites in the game and sadly often underused. Remember that Tower Stun will stun the crap out of EVERY enemy/boss in their range. Assault Stun has a limited AOE and Recon Counter Measures only slow, but Towers STUN - NO movement and NO attacks. With a clued-up SS Recon providing energy, you can maintain a significant stun-lock. EC-nm Elly? Perses? Meh, those hovering pimples get reduced to drooling stun-locked stroke victims.

Nexus. There is nothing like having an army of Agrons and Slashers at your 'beck and call'. With proper use of grouping and assigning to shortcuts, there is no reason at all that anywhere up to 20 (or more) units cannot be effectively managed. I admit though, this does become somewhat more challenging in -nm games. Don't forget too, that an MC'd Ogilvy with Medic support can make an amazing tank.

Anyway, as it stands now, the Engineer is an enjoyable and effective class in the game when used to it's full potential. Sorry for the wall of text.
  16. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

17. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

As do I. Well thought out, reasoned. You looked at things objectively instead of just whinging about how Towers suck forever because you can't solo entire waves with them, etc.
  18. Ryan III

Ryan III Well-Known Member

Ryan likes you post kenno :D
  19. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

Kenno summed everything up perfectly. Even as a combat engie, I always rush boom headshot, not because of the dps, but because its the LONGEST DAMM STUN IN THE GAME!!! Hand me SMG and I will make every mob in every story a laughing joke. Though I did figure out later why people though it sucked, some people thought it only affect the unit you were directly attack, and didn't splash *Facepalm*
  20. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

That was the reason the Engineer was so powerful with a chaingun. That and it was the best weapon for speed for IMA + Damage for best bonus damage.