The engineer

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Ryan III, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Ryan III

Ryan III Well-Known Member

So... From what I've heard a lot of people hate engineer so can I ask why? I'm just wondering
  2. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Operations and Web

His name is Mario.
  3. Zuriel

Zuriel Well-Known Member

Too much micro for my liking. The class is good, just not for me.
  4. Thermidor

Thermidor Well-Known Member

Pretty much what Zuriel said. Therefore, I am staying neutral from the poll. I like having an engi in the team but I hate playing it.
  5. YetiSwarm
    • Donator

YetiSwarm Member

Yeah. If I wanted to control an army I wouldn't be playing a hero game. The class is fine for those that like it, but it doesn't get the love.
  6. ProbeGst

ProbeGst Well-Known Member

if the field probe could have a repair beam. i will love it
  7. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

I do hate it. It's the only class I actually hate and cannot have fun with.

Field: This tends to be used for Cheese or Whoring. Either using towers for pathing blocks which break encounters, or just plasma satcheling everything needlessly. Probes are undervalued lately (Though I still find them decent myself). But lets face it, the reason anyone is really telling you to go Field isn't for probes, plasma, or tower pathing cheese, its the nexus. The nexus is a ton of micro, the mindjacked AI often needs to be fought against (Because their scripting overrides your commands). It slows down the engineer a lot and turns the game much more static. Not to mention the variety of weird shit that happens based on the Mindjacked variety you can get. Replacing tanks, insane DPS, weird abilities.

I'm not saying it's BAD. I'm not saying it isn't Useful. In fact it seems to be the key component to how EU does Nightmare Easy Company, because they couldn't pull it off without a decent Field Engineer. But it's full of weird gimmicks, game breakers, slows down players, requires a ton of micro for very little direct benefit to it. Consider the OpsComm level of Micro which directly results in a huge pile of bodies. The field Engineer expends as much/more just in order to keep the ducks in a row, not even to necessarily raise the kill count. As many have said, "If I wanted to micro that much, I'd ladder."

Combat: It's a very passive style of DPS. At least it's much more mobile than the Field Engineer, so it doesn't cripple the game and demand you all move at 1.5 move speed because of it. But the sheer passive DPS style doesn't interest me. I mean yeah, you can go hit the Targeting Computer once every 10 seconds, and Overdrive every minute. No, that's not very active. And you don't even really need to do it. just run around not using the abilities and you are still quite beastly.

It also suffers from when it's unlocked. I mean if I want to go Combat, I want DPS. Know what has a ton more DPS that is unlocked at the exact same time? The king of DPS, the Commando. As long as you're not freaking out about having to use a lot more micro and skill use, the Commando outclasses the Combat Engineer in just about every way... except for having a beefy chump blocker in a Shell Mode X1.

If I'm going for DPS, why am I playing an Engineer instead of an OpsComm? Only reason I can think of is if a player had 10,000 XP, 1600 rating but hadn't hit 1700, which is kinda crazy and not a situation I had actually seen. Or if you are so untrusting in your ability to micro and use your skills that you feel the need to have more Idiot Proof DPS.
  8. Peerawatz
    • Development Team

Peerawatz NOTD Staff: Sound Mixer and NOTD Troll Chieftain

Engineer has been in a lonnnnnnng battle of Underpowered and Overpowered history, he is never balanced, especially when Master Faneria exists.

It's the problem with the fact that his one tree is pure DPS and another is pure support, and how does this be a problem ?, the problem is the flaw in exp gaining system, supportive classes like Recon and Medic who lacks DPS are supported by exp bonus from team, so they generally level up at same, if not faster pace than dps, this is a problem with the Engineer, by not giving this bonus, the Field Tree is likely to be always underleveled, by giving Engineer bonus exp, his DPS tree will be overleveled even if you try so hard not to.

It has been known that prior to the Field Tree Patch, engineers always and always go Combat, not because it's strong (it was actually), but that the "Build" tree just sucks, Repair was a learnable skill, all other skills are staionary, no probes, no nexus, just towers towers and towers.

Then comes to epic Uber patch that turns Build tree to Field Support tree, and the tower receives a buff, turning it into..

Erebos : THAT WAS AN AMAZING KILLING-SPREE, BY THE OTHER TEAM!!!
    Tartarus : I did wut I could T^T <drunk>
    Queen : From now on, losing is forbidden!

Nexus allows Field Tree to recruit MMMM and Idra army and makes Combat Tree a joke.

Then Combat Tree is buffed and nerfed (Nerfed for newbies and buffs for pros), and Field Tree got epic nerf when Tower doesn't kill no more (And the tower dps is never upgraded)

Then comes to epic buff to X1 when it gains AOE capabilities, Combat Engy needs no shooting apart from synergizing.

Then developers decide to make it looks weaker by reducing it's dps, and give a troll skill to make it function like the old X1, and reduces it's ms to 2.2, aka it will never catch up with others, not even the tank.

Then it is found that X1 was op actually because of the AOE buff actually makes it attack deals double damage. Then once this is dealth with, comes another epic nerf to X1.

In the meantime, Tower got a fucking useless skill known as Kill Signal which is typically use to kills your allies for fun (Yes seriously).

As you can see, this class is unstable at best, it's one of the crappiest class in the wrong hands, and mysteriously one of the most op class in the hands of the AFK Lord Faneria and other pros. (But there was a time too when even the newbiest of newbie engys can op but that's when the op buff to Combat was added)

The theme of I r need a buddy pet who apparently runs slower than your entire team (even when using jets) doesn't seem to work, combined with stupid-looking face of Rory Swann, and his ORH THATS JUST GREAT YA YA IM DOING IT makes him explodes when being touched by stalkers and slashers (even Lord Faneria occasionally explodes on touch with stalkers, because stalkers are not cowboys, and love cutting beardies)

When compares to the other DPS who is also availiable at same xp, cmd, whose role is to press 2 buttons at the same time, and press another button once you get that skill the entire game, makes engineer a less favorable class.

I thereby suggest replace Plasma Discharge with Sentry guns, and replace Battery with Dispenser, and Nexus works as Teleporter.

To balance this, a new zombie called Spygalisk will be added that will be sappin' Engy's stuff and backstabbing the backpack of Engineer, causing it to explode in Napalm Fire, good counter is to equip Flamethrower, or use Medic's Jarate.

Ok too much troll :
  9. Zuriel

Zuriel Well-Known Member

No idea what peera said. Lol.

TF2 reference is good. Sentry guns all the way. :)
  10. Ryan III

same here no offense peera
  11. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Makes sense to me. Then again I was there for most of the timeline that he's referencing.
  12. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

I understood about 80% of it. That 80% is right as hell.
  13. Ryan III

Only three people vote lol
  14. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

I'm the one that is under Hate. I figure everyone that doesn't like it, just posted instead of voting.
  15. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Listen up. To everyone bitching about how Field Support is today, take a look at what it used to be.

Yes, I do have old versions of NOTD cached. No, you cannot play them with me.
  16. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

It's Peera's broken English, you figure these things out after knowin him for 2 years.

I'll translate for you:
    Show Spoiler

17. Emperor

Emperor New Member

Engineer can do just about everything.

Minis are undervalued, MC'd or not. Anything that's on the field that can get hit that isn't a marine is worth it.

But I also hate it, for something that AFAIK hasn't been said before: the fucking voice actor is an annoying fuck. Maybe I've gotten used to it, or maybe it's because I have my volume down to 20% to listen to music, or maybe they actually changed it, but I seem to be able to tolerate the voice a lot more now.

Before I used to turn my game sound completely off whenever I had to play Engineer.
  18. Froblock

Froblock Well-Known Member

Excellent post Peera.
    I'm going to put it in the BlackOps Engineer thread too because people forgot about it
    and 3 people including myself were the only ones that cared about the Engineer.
  19. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

While Engineer in itself is a unique hero, I just don't enjoy playing in its current incarnation.
  20. Yuey
    • Warden

Yuey Warden

I like the Engineer. Combat is nice to play while Field Support is for when I feel like I want to play melee instead (rare nowadays) and have up to 5 control groups of units derping around.