The Delta Commando

Discussion in 'Class Discussion' started by Kith, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

People have been going round and round with me talking about the Delta Commando, so I'm making this thread to remind/inform everyone on what's going on.

First off, Combat Hardened will be replaced with this:

This is different from Razor Wire, because as it turns out, Razor Wire is a pain in the ass to code. So we get the same effect with an easier implementation.

Secondly, Bring Them Down has received static because the Delta Commando lacks much killing power. To that end, this is slated to happen:

This will affect Heightened Senses and The Horror. Gravity Grenade is already disgusting as it is.

So that's what's going on. Questions, comments, whatever, are welcome.
  2. Kenno

Kenno Well-Known Member

Hey Kith, does the open wound from this stack?

Say for example the Delta was to place this near a Rofl's sonic trap. The enemies go through the Mono trap, get damaged and open wound, get bounced back from the sonic, then walk into the Mono trap a second time. I'd imagine they'd receive the damage again from the Mono trap, but do they also receive another open wound?

Just asking, as using these in combination with Sonic traps seems like an effective mob control.

Oh, and following on from this, how many can the Delta lay? Just the one, or will it be limited like Sonic traps?

Thanks.
  3. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

The Open Wound does stack, and the Cripple effect refreshes, as standard ailments.

The Delta Commando can lay as many traps as he damn well pleases.

"oh god kith but isn't that imbalanced"

No. Allies can activate these, so if you trap an entrance thoroughly and then suddenly have to leave? Good news, you've fucked your team.
  4. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

I think the issue is not so much entrances but say set spawn locations.

Delta commando places them at Black Ops spawn locations or Menoetes spawn locations (which all happen to be the same) and you just made your game infinitely easier for little to no effort.

The traps need a maximum duration before they expire or a limit to the number you can place.
  5. spartanhija

spartanhija Member

Yay a commando thats worth playing as! And maybe worth the -10-30 rating u will most definitley recieve when playing him unless ur meg.
  6. HamCient

HamCient New Member

Make the traps noticeable for your allies so they can see the traps clearly to avoid. If they choose to walk pass to activate the traps, that's their problem.
  7. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

The problem with that is that it would take an unrealistic amount of preparation to accomplish, in addition to the fact that we already have that problem in the from of Mines and I have yet to see any Demolitions demonstrate such forward thinking.

Nope. They're invisible. Communicate with your team or get some Thermals.
  8. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

The Demolitons cannot do this because:
    1. Mines can be destroyed by detectors
    2. Are 1 off, i.e. mine detonates, its gone

The traps by comparison are invincible and have deal more damage than the same number of mines would, besides causing ailments.

It wouldn't take unrealistic amounts of preparation either.
    Imagine you get them during Military Base (lvl2). Place them at the MB spawn point to your right. Go to airlock, +-finish waves, plant them at the west map spawn point.

Do civs, plant at north comm tower spawn point and above civ truck spawn point.

Go to mine for Seth, plant at north fort spawn point and at mine spawn point.

On way to eggs, you can go to EC to place the traps at the EC spawn point. Voila, all spawn points covered without extra effort.
  9. spartanhija

spartanhija Member

Due to the amt of damage as well as ailments, I don't understand why in the hello they would be invisible. The demo was mentioned earlier, as demo I've killed people with the visible mines you can place. Even though you tell them don't f******* stand on those ppl still do it. Or forget they are there. An invisible mine that will do 100 ff and incur ailments must be somehow visible or placed in spots only menos will run into. Otherwise you will be the queens henchman.
    [hr]
    Godam auto speller
    [hr]
    75 ff not 100*
  10. Miracle
    • Development Team
    • Community Leader

Miracle NOTD Staff: Assistant of many things

What is the delay between each activation of monifilament trap? Also, will it do reduced damage to friendly units, at the moment monofilament trap looks even trickier to use than the more obvious skills like contamination, satchel, or even nuke in terms of accidentally killing your team.
  11. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

'Kay. Monofilament Traps will have a 5 minute duration.

They're invisible because the Commando is supposed to be a much more difficult class to play. If you want to work around it, tell your teammates that they're there, or make sure everyone can see them via Flares.

Huh, I forgot to put that in. 50% damage for allies, and the pulse cooldown will be somewhere in the ballpark of 3 or 4. I'll go with 3 for now and we'll push it back if need be.
  12. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

I was looking forward to razor tripwire, but I understand. It's nice to see how this is going to be wrapped up though!
  13. MissHumpz
    • Event Coordinator
    • Community Leader

MissHumpz NOTD Staff: Event Coordinator & Amazing Amazer

As a regular medic player, I can already foresee how much fun this is going to be for medics -.-
  14. spartanhija

spartanhija Member

W/e if I tk more creds for me in the end
  15. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

If the Deltamando communicates with the team or, I don't know, sets a flare near the traps? It won't be a problem.
  16. MSluiter

MSluiter Member

So what if you set a trap during a holdout then the hords are done... seems like a pain in the ass to get back out. Should have a hold fire option or something.
  17. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

That's going to be part of the skill. Set traps that, if they don't end up using all of their charges, don't screw over the team with their location while still successfully deterring enemies. The Commando is a 10k exp requirement class, so I don't really see much of a problem with abilities that are required to be used properly.
  18. HDD
    • Donator

HDD Well-Known Member

Finally some killing power on the Delta, It will be helpful for holdout spot. My only question is what is the range for ''Planting/Setting'' Traps? Same has the mine or like a Engie Satch range?
  19. MissHumpz
    • Event Coordinator
    • Community Leader

MissHumpz NOTD Staff: Event Coordinator & Amazing Amazer

People still manage to team kill with nukes, and nukes have huge warnings that are hard to miss, but yet it still happens more than it should.
    So I agree with you, both the team and nando need good communication to avoid casualties.
  20. Shooz
    • Donator

Shooz NOTD Staff: Killjoy

We're talking about the Delta Commando here, not operations. Kithrixx, keep your topics on subject.