The current ban system and hackers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Extifer, Apr 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Extifer
    • Warden
    • Donator

Extifer Stiffy is what Lyanden calls me.

So I`ve been away from NOTD for about a month now and this is due to exams that I have coming up and a recent thesis presentation (FYI I`m a 4th year Mechanical Engineering Student) to my department that I had to prepare for. Therefore, I have to take some time off from NOTD.

Anyways, I recently read on the forums that we now have a ban system in place. Personally, I think its great and awesome because I`ve been advocating for this for quite a long time and many of the veterans here can vouch for my stance against them.

However, one thing I`m very disappointed in is the minimum length of ban time that can possibly be enacted being one week and Ability`s stance on it.

Personally, I think a one week ban is quite pathetic and pretty much a slap on the wrist for these hackers. EVERYDAY, I see the hacker list growing and growing and by saying that most likely these hackers will be only at least given one week ban is a slap to not only my face, but the community`s face in general.

No offense to ability and to the wardens, but bans for hacking should be at least 6 months to permanent. Ability is saying that even the worse criminals can reform, which I will never believe because what about Charles Manson, Pol Pot, ect. You telling me that these a**holes can reform give me a freaking break.

Hackers should already know that hacking in any game is wrong. I don`t care theres no F***ing excuse in the world for it.

Quite frankly its very disappointing and a slap to the face of the many players of this community that spend their time taking screen shots of hackers, looking up their credentials and proving that their a hacker only to have them potentially face a one week ban.

Where`s the justice and reward for these players that are trying to keep the game clean and rid the community of the filth?
  2. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Actually the reason I suggested a one week ban is: In part we're up to the limits of code that can be used. As you said the list keeps growing and growing, with not much room to work we can't go giving permanent space up to them. I'm guessing, based on my own experiences with Interwebs stuff, that even Temp Bans tend to remove major problems like that.

If they are persistent problems that keep coming back? I'm sure The Man and others would have no problem saying that needs to be permanent in their case. But it's about minimal needed force to execute. Why use a tomahawk missile when a knife can do it just as well with a lot less permanent mess?
  3. Extifer
    • Warden
    • Donator

Extifer Stiffy is what Lyanden calls me.

True, but a one week ban seems too little. I think it should be at least one month to say the least.
  4. CHENZ

CHENZ New Member

the problem is that for that month we'd have this lack of code, which i don't think is optimal.

it's kind of like we don't execute people who drink and drive, we give them either probation or a 1-year ban from driving. I'm as much in favour of the ban system as you are but i'm not willing to give up, say seth, just due to these miscreants. it's not worth it. especially since most of them won't come back once they are caught out. i mean, it's not like we're going to tell them "we're banning you for a week only".

we say that on the forums, sure, but in game theres no such declaration, so that helps to weed them out and we can get back to coding the game.
  5. Shooz
    • Donator

Shooz NOTD Staff: Killjoy

It's not your concern however people are added to the ban list nor how long those bans are. There are wardens now just for that reason.

Thread locked.
  6. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

I'm going to post in this locked thread (na na na na boo boo) to drive a point home that so many people seem to be missing.

We can and will ban for longer or permanently if the person merits it.
  7. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

Are we now? I'm not seeing any evidence of it yet.
  8. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Because we haven't even banned anyone yet. We don't know what the effects of a simple week ban will do to someone and we only have one thread in The Brig to which I'm the only reply to. If you want to push for a permaban for ChildofFury then go say so! Go!
  9. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

There inlays the problem.
  10. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Suggest more names to be banned. You're more privy to the names of hackers than I.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.