Terrain Development

Discussion in 'NOTD 2 Discussion' started by Reaper, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Reaper

Reaper Moderator/The Crimsonrine

Hope this is the place for it.

Regarding the terrain layout what tileset is going to be used for Mars?

Good ones I've seen are
    • (HotS) Char Fortress (Volcanic)
    • Redstone (Volcanic)
    • New Folsom (Volcanic)
    • Char (Volcanic)
    Unless a greyish tileset is used and lighting color is altered to be reddish. Also, will the Mars Compound be situated near one of the polar caps so that some ice can be added?

One thing I definitely want off Mars is environmental hazards. While the Moon is very passive Mars is hell compared to it. Might give Doom 3 a look as the content here and there are very similar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Reaper

RE: Development layout

^Along with this post how is NOTD v2 going to be in terms of terrain usage? Spacious or tight?
  3. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Depends on the areas in question. Outside the facilities, it's intended to be spacious and kite-friendly. Inside is intended to be cramped hallways with little visibility around corners.
  4. Extifer
    • Warden
    • Donator

Extifer Stiffy is what Lyanden calls me.

In terms of the Terrain for NOTD 2 with it being on Mars, I have a few questiosn.

Will it mostly be using the reddish tone of a barren wasteland with hills and canyons to exactly match the theme of Mars or will we utilize some green features as in maybe a jungle or so. This is considering that this takes place in the future so maybe Mars has had green life planted there by settlers.

I only ask if we are using jungle feature because as far as I am aware Ability does like paying homage to pop culture and film and the film I would like to see (as I'm sure many others want to see as well) homage paid to is.........Predator.

[​IMG]
  5. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Ability has expressed his interest in seeing the setting be based on Mars' polar ice caps, and I agree.

The idea is more of a frozen tundra style landscape with either some biodomes present or a main facility in the center.
  6. Extifer
    • Warden
    • Donator

Extifer Stiffy is what Lyanden calls me.

Thanks for the reply Kithrixx. I'm kinda thinking of this type of image in my head when you refer to Frozen Tundra. My Apologies for the giant picture.

Lastly, if we can utilize a feature where there are Blizzards(similar to that one mission is HOTS where Protoss Enemies are frozen) to cloud vision that would definitely be awesome. I think that would establish a sense of surprise and fear of the unknown. Anyways I'm just trying to throw a bunch of ideas out there to match the theme.

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]
  7. Reaper

A central facility with smaller compounds surrounding it...

Reason why I am asking is because I got nothing else to do so poking around the Map Editor trying to get some good designs going on what could be a tundra type facility but as to how much ice to rock there is going to be is a mess as there isn't a solid tilest that could work both.

The problem is the terrain walls. The only Ice tilest there is is Kaldir which has only rocky and ice cliffs but no man made cliffs of which I am pretty certain NOTD should have unless we are trying a more natural feel.

EDIT: Well sheet, may have to use the Meinhoff tilest again :p

EDIT: Is it maybe going to be something similar to Dead Space 3?
    [​IMG]

EDIT: Got some textures in place, playing with them now

EDIT: And the first take

[​IMG]
  8. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Reaper, you're officially on terrain duty. Make me proud. Give me something that looks good.
  9. Reaper

Couldn't resist this one...:p

HHHHHNNNNNGGG!

[​IMG]

But yes I shall be on terrain duty for now that I got working textures I shall be making pwetty environments and lol at Blizzard, they added a frozen Arthas (Lich King) to the editor :D
  10. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

I'll give you a better rundown of what I want once you produce a map. I want to see what you make without directions.
  11. Yorick
    • Community Leader

Yorick Stealth Moderator

I would honestly prefer a mildly "realistic" setting where even if it's outdoors on Mars or so, that the terraforming would be kept up with some areas of realism.

E.g.
    Mars can maintain a biosphere, but the simple fact is that the mass of the planet is incapable of sustaining an atmospheric pressure acceptable to humans.

Anyways, I think Mars might be a nice spot for an outbreak, especially if NOTD 2 were to stick to "hard science fiction" criterion and so forth.

So close to home, yet so far away. To quote the Alien(s) franchise: "In space, no one can hear you scream."
    [hr]
    P.S.
    Pardon for me entering into the whole input at such a late phase, I've been AWOL due to purchasing an apartment, breaking up, etc. so just recently been catching up on everything there's still one hell of a backlog of important things to take into account for me personally before I start giving out solid input on ideas and the like.
  12. Reaper

Question - How does the infestation start on Mars in the first place?
    1. Uncovered in a dig
    2. Mars microscopic lifeform
    3. Virus introduced in living quarters
    4. Single infested personnel infested doctor and chain events
    5. Lab experiment gone wrong
    6. Infested lifeform brought to Mars
    7. Infested lifeform discovered in dig
    8. Someone opened a container that they shouldn't have
    9. A fanatical group is introduced who have embraced the infestation and see it as the next step in human evolution or as a means to purge humanity of its impurity through extermination

EDIT: Is this it?

Never mind, I see its very much still under debate.
  13. Reaper

So thread split, saves me the trouble of making a new one.

First upload of Eden

Players arrive at Eden Station via monorail train where you are greeted by Dr. X (name required), he will be assisting Marines throughout the mission and will be your communication liaison.

[​IMG]

Eden Station is a stand alone complex separate from the primary compound. It is located south to the installation while Eden Prime is to the north where more ice is present the further up you go.

[​IMG]

Steps have been taken in colonizing the surface of Mars. Eden Prime has great success but Eden Secunda cannot yet due to its harsh climate and extreme colds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the good Dr X sends you through the airlock with Drone AB-1ty to guide you to your first objective which is to investigate a communication failure at the nearest Relay Station.
  14. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

You can read the story thread on how the infestation starts.
  15. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Not a bad start. I wouldn't mind having an actual solid starting area, to make sense for the presence of a credit shop and all of that business.
  16. Reaper

Well I was zinking dat the Eden Station is a Safe Zone that can be used by players in the early part of the game. Here they can heal and stock up but only for the very first part of the game.

Its difficult designing the terrain since, as I understand, terrain will be available depending on the difficulty of the game. Recruit Mode will only feature about half of the maps actual size to keep it short and simple for new players.

And lordi, I cannot decide what I want to do. :p
    Okay, I have nice plans and ideas but how to go about getting to them...

Like for example I have that the Marines very first mission is to go the Relay Station and investigate what is happening there for no communications are going in or out. Upon arriving the Marines are attacked by the personnel who work there, they have gone insane. Marines fight to the Control Room where a certain colonist has deleted the communication logs from all earlier transmissions and fighting him is the first boss fight. Nothing really fancy as it is a human enemy. Once clearing the Relay Station, Marines return to Eden Station and are then sent to Eden Prime.

Now I have this in 2 ways
    1. Marines walk across a good stretch of Mars to get to Eden Prime but standing in front of the main gate is a very large and very hostile lifeform which Marines must bring down to enter.
    2. You arrive within Eden Prime via monorail and proceed to the Central Headquarters where things are in critical condition, people are dead, many injured in the infirmary and noises are heard echoing throughout the walls and ventilation.

Infested later break through and your first actual holdout begins.

And bloody hell, keeping all this stuff to scale. :D lol
    But I am having fun with it. :)

I'll post up what I have and get some feedback. My thinking at the moment is running very closely to media like Aliens, Quake, Doom and Dead Space with tight corridors and loads of places for enemies to be lurking around like in the pipes behind reinforced glass so you cannot shoot them but you know you will have to deal with them later.
  17. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

I wouldn't make it a safe zone, just something that the players start at. Honestly, if we're going with Eden as "a thing", it's going to get overrun almost immediately after the players leave, and their first optional objective is going to be "go back and search for/evac survivors". I just like the idea of a place for players to get their bearings and have access to a credit shop.

It is my intention that Recruit mode allow access to the entire map - it's just that the players will not use all of it. Objectives will be relatively centralized in that case to prevent extensive wandering and the game will be relatively streamlined. As difficulty increases, so will the amount of side missions and "reasons" to go places. Newbies can wander wherever they wish - they're just not going to get anything more than some sightseeing.
  18. Mirage
    • Donator

Mirage ಠ_ಠ What are you looking at?

Perhaps with eden as a place it could also be something for an alternative survival mode; like a holdout position or so?
  19. Reaper

Regarding the Safe Zone thing with Eden Station it is a very small place of the map. Creeps wont be able to get there except through triggered events. But also once you leave the Safe Zone you are out and cannot return to it.

Outside of Eden Station
    [​IMG]

The Path Down
    [​IMG]

Local Colony on Mars
    A nice little settlement located close to your first objective (the radar dishes are objective #1)
    [​IMG]

Stretch of Mars
    Very empty at this time but it is going to get some major makeup with things like fauna and flora since as I understand Mars will also have its own indigenous life on the surface. This road leads to Eden Prime.
    [​IMG]

Entrance to Eden
    The beast that which guards the entrance to Eden Prime
    [​IMG]

And damn, why players be getting full access to the map? :huh: Even in Recruit Mode?
    Can't it be that Recruit Mode players work to secure Eden Prime in a final and immense push with a boss fight and once that is done you learn that a team is going to be called in to secure Eden Secunda, the remaining part of Eden and with all the ice. Veteran Mode and such makes you secure everything.
  20. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Reaper. The players should get access to the full map regardless of difficulty. A monster blocking the gate isn't in the spirit of NOTD.