Take your damn numbers somewhere else

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by ArcturusV, Apr 17, 2012.

1. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Heh, your chart for comparing DPS doesn't seem to have a DPS entry.

Thus I channel the Powers of Nite!

http://notdstarcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Dam ... cond_Chart

Anyway... notice some odd, interesting things. For example, a Laser Rifle has better DPS against a common zombie than a HMG. Considering in say, Easy Company you can easily end up with 5 laser rifles, but only one HMG (two if you "got gypped" by Seth). Even the SMG, typically considered "Worthless" in harder modes (other than the first part of Apollo Security Team's Infested Marines everywhere parts), typically out does the HMG on the chart, even against Agrons and Huggers.
  2. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

RE: HMG Discussion

That chart was a pet project a long time ago and I have absolutely no idea how outdated it is.
  3. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Or disregard me because I used an old source. Ah well, least I tried.
  4. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

It was last updated November 17th, for what thats worth.
  5. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

It has multiple tabs in the bottom; you can cycle through them to look at different aspects of a weapon.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...IUEx3el95bC10akpnMmZBR1E&hl=en_US&pli=1#gid=6 for DPS with reload factored in,

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...IUEx3el95bC10akpnMmZBR1E&hl=en_US&pli=1#gid=5 for DPS without reload factored in.
  6. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

That chart is drawn from the spreadsheet in google docs, both of which were made by me. I probably need to rename the charts to make them more intuitive, and yes, I never updated the wiki, really need to delete that page, and get the move on simply writing a program to calculate the damage based on anything (weapon mods/ammo mods/abilities).
  7. Arturia

I'm trying this in Java, but me being me, I have no idea how I would be able to create any sort of interface, and how I would be able to determine which weapon someone wants without making a huge switch structure using number's as a method to Identify which weapon you want.

It can get the # of HP / HE / AP / FMJ / Weapon mods, and I'm trying to work in an Attack speed calculation part.

Of course, the code is also probably sloppier than anything seen before.
  8. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

I'm also attempting this, but in javascript so I can just present it using HTML on the wiki. Attack speed is indeed tricky, as we've seen before. As far as I know, the number presented by starcraft 2 is the number of seconds between attacks (0.5 = 2 attacks per second, 1.5 = 2 attacks per 3 seconds). Adding attack speed % is the one thing that I'm not entire sure how to calculate. Obviosuly 100% attack speed bonus just doubles your speed, so I'm thinking it goes somewhat like this:

100/(100 + Attack speed bonus) * Base attack speed

so 100% attack speed bonus = 100/(100 + 100) * 1 = 0.5
  9. Arturia

Well, the way I did Attack speed math was

base value / (1 + %)

Support: In-game, FMJ + Flamethrower results in the flamethrower attacking at an attack speed of 1.

1.15 / ( 1 + .15) = 1

This leads to the current problem with how Reduced Attack Speed is being done.

base value / (1 - %)

This is what Reduced Attack Speed would look like. However, lets reduce somethings attack speed by 100% (If 100% increase is it attacks 2 times as fast, 100% decrease would be it attacks half as fast) Lets assume the weapon normally attacks at 2 attack speed.

2 / (1 - 1) = 2 / 0 = divide by zero error / undefined

That means there isn't any way for a person to attack half as fast, in theory from that stand-point.

Lets try something else. If you division by 1/2 results is equal to multiplying by 2, then:

2 / (1 - .5) = 2 / .5 = 2 * 2 or 4.

So 100% reduced attack speed is actually done with a decrease attack speed value of .5, instead of 1 which leads to the inherent flaw of how Blizzard works with Attack Speed. Increases can easily be managed, decreases require you to do some thinking.

I had my fun on ZHRPG doing plenty of theory-crafting on it.

80% reduced attack speed is currently done by dividing by .2, which results in attacking 5x as slow.

How we would do the math = How starcraft does the math. (Attack Speed Value after math) [% Reduced Attack speed]
    X * Y = X / (1 / Y) (Quotient or Sum) [((Y - 1) * 100)% reduced]
    1.4 * 2 = 1.4 / .5 (2.8) [100% reduced]
    1.4 * 1.8 = 1.4 / .555~ (2.52) [80% reduced]
    1.4 * 1.75 = 1.4 / .571429 (2.45) [75% reduced]

On any note... We will be banished to the void by Shooz when he sees this.

My prior experience? A neat dandy guide I made for a SC2 map that is on a permanent hiatus.

We came to a conclusion that Blizzard did a Dividing method instead of multiplication method, the same way we can reach a Conclusion using an FMJ & Flamethrower to base how it works.

Can we start a separate thread to evade the wrath of the Shooz?