TacNet - Global Leaderboards and Vigil

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Ability, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

This is a brainstorm thread for a TacNet leaderboard system on the website.

How does it work?
    We will have a 3rd party program - let's just call it Vigil after General Koller's expeditionary ship - that will extract your bank data and upload it on our website servers at the end of each game.

When can it go live?
    Potentially within March 2012.

Why do we want to do it?
    It's a great way to get people to be part of a larger community and motivate each other. It's also a good way for the Dev Team to track balancing (e.g. Riflemans suddenly have a markedly higher game/medal success rate vs. Engineer, etc)

What does it track?
    That's the discussion here. Can you share some ideas or examples of leaderboards from similar or other big games - eg. StarCraft 2 ladder, Battlefield 3, World of Warcraft Arena/PvE rankings, CounterStrike. We need to tailor something that is suitable for NOTD.
  2. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

RE: TacNet System - Global Leaderboards on Website

Player Database
    This stores statistics of every NOTD player.
    - Player Name
    - Player XP/Rank
    - Player Rating
    - Player ID
    - Player Medals
    - Player CP
    - Player Medals
    - Player Karma
    - Player Stats Allocation
    - Total Games Played
    - Total Hours Played

Games Database
    This stores statistics of every NOTD game.
    - Server
    - Game Date
    - Game Type (NM / Easy)
    - Storyline
    - Players in Game
    - Class Composition
    - Game End Duration
    - Game Outcome
    - Players Alive During Victory

Data visualization: http://www.gapminder.org/

Other Program Functions
    - Auto bank backup and folder creation
    - Auto-clone latest bank into all server banks (mainly for SEA players)
  3. Mirage
    • Donator

Mirage ಠ_ಠ What are you looking at?

Thought I'd just check in as Earendil got me on this job; figured the client would be best off in java (since this is a game on Windows and OSX) which is pretty well written so far, can enumerate through bank files and then decrypt the strings for values (Was just testing on the banks so far, since the game stat ones aren't done yet) as for the 'Other' program functions those shouldn't be too hard to write.
  4. Earendil

Earendil New Member

Am here to ask if the community, how anyone think of the idea of including a stat viewer in program to see what was extracted and sent to the leaderboard database?
  5. Mirage
    • Donator

Actually I more ment let players view what their stats are in each of their banks/backups, so that if there's an error they can backup to to the correct version.
  6. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

As long as it doesn't make newbie's uberly confused.

I Like the system and its idea, the worry is offline play, and errors between it sending the info.

It could be useful however if it records weapon mods as well.

It would/could become the ultimate authority of legitimacy of a player by tracking that type of information. I doubt its possible to gain more then 300 exp in a game, and as such, if the game detects a gain of over 300 exp, it should at least trigger an alert. Perhaps prolonged offline play can do that. It should clearly reject a person if they have a jump of over 1k EXP regardless.

The only primary concern is, if its implemented around now, with the hackers and whatnot, it could become a problem because it would be hard to tell who is legit and who isn't.
  7. Mirage
    • Donator

It is completely voluntary though, and only is required to include oneself within the leaderboards and such for the benefit of Ability and such todo stat collection on things to check if something is overpowered and all.

So far I've gotten done.
    Bank Reader
    Bank Decoder (Can read from the encrypted strings)
    And a couple client settings things, I'll probably work on the bank backup now/bank sync between regions.

On that topic, does anybody know what exactly the regions are beside these?
    1 - NA
    6 - SEA

Additionally could someone with a multiple-region account give me the folder layout?

Because I know for NA its similar to

C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\StarCraft II\Accounts\63213131\REGION-S2-1-1071430

But does it just add another folder under the 63213131 or w/e that is?

Because I assume that there is also people on EU or w/e
  8. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

I would prefer you speak of the EU players as if they were equals. They may be few, but they deserve the same regards as the rest of us.

As far as I recall the only servers NOTD is currently on is NA/SEA/EU. LA (latin america), and RU (Russia) were merged into NA & EU (respectively). I also believe there were...technicalities preventing the map from being published on the KOR server.
  9. Mirage
    • Donator

Didn't really mean to, by assume I meant more of the 'or w/e' part of that sentence since I only know of the 1 and 6 regions (and EU when I get the number?), so there is only 1 and 6 i need to worry about?

And with that, what exactly is the region number for EU?

Update: Decoder for notdbank5 done, just have to label the values now; though this is only really for the stat viewer if it should be put in.

Just had an idea for an additional feature, since I've seen it used for several other games, perhaps some kind of sig-generator that can read the bank stats, then take an existing background/font made by someone around here and then configure them into a signature?
  10. Earendil

Earendil New Member

As of now there's only 1, 6 and another on EU for NOTD. Ability has the folder number for EU as well as folder layout.

Keep the opinion on the stat viewer coming guys.

Mirage, what's the signature for? Is it to protect each bank from tampering? Because SC2 Editor has that functionality but we decided not to go ahead with it because since it takes player id, map id and author id to generate a unique signature:
    1.) Won't work for players transferring banks between servers
    2.) In case map popularity bug occurs, a new NOTD map needs to be created, thereby rendering all banks useless.
  11. Earendil

Earendil New Member

We'd like to get any suggestions on how the leaderboard should look like and what functionality it has.

The map SOTIS has theirs:
    http://playsotis.com/index.php?option=c ... Itemid=199

Current thought is to have a leaderboard with no max cap of players, ranking players (sortable) according to:
    1. XP
    2. Rating
    3. Games played
    4. Games Won
    5. Win ratio
    6. Medal of Honor
    7. XP/Games Played Ratio

Grouped by server, or all servers.

In addition other information are shown:
    1. Rank/Doctor
    2. Credits
    3. Lifetime credits
    4. Medals earned
    5. CP points
    6. ECNormalWin
    7. ECNMWin
    8. ACNormalWin
    9. STNormalWin
    10. STNMWin
    11. SurvivalWin
    12. ECSpeed
    13. ACSpeed
    14. STSpeed
  12. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Don't forget by server in your ranking. Some people will just want to know who the top ones are on their own stomping grounds. Some people will want to know overall across all servers.
  13. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

The number for EU should be 2.
  14. Mirage
    • Donator

Ability, is there a special icon or an idea for an icon you wanted the Vigil client to use? To start off I really just took the favicon.ico from the site (That white N thing) and resized it accordingly.

Additionally as I understand bank location on windows is

C:\Users\WINDOWS USERNAME\Documents\StarCraft II\Accounts\63213131\REGION-S2-1-PLAYERID\Banks\REGION-S2-1-AUTHORID

Do you have any idea what the 63213131 is in that?

Additionally could I get the author ID's for regions 2 and 6 if someone has them?
  15. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

NA?
    C:\Users\daren\Documents\StarCraft II\Accounts\10088086\1-S2-1-2437885\Banks\1-S2-1-1557547

SEA?
    C:\Users\daren\Documents\StarCraft II\Accounts\10088086\6-S2-1-122389\Banks\6-S2-1-122389

EU?
    C:\Users\daren\Documents\StarCraft II\Accounts\118521105\2-S2-1-1535419\Banks\2-S2-1-1535419
  16. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

My hypothesis 63213131 should be your Battle.Net ID.
  17. Mirage
    • Donator

Hm, always thought the field between Banks and that would be your ID since on the MAFIA map I see it print like 'if you see a cheater use this to report them'

It shouldn't count too much, I'll just walk those directories under accounts until finding the correct file.

So I'm thinking it probably is an ID, but more one thats probably related to account creation date or something (maybe its just an integer that goes up with every acc created?) and the ID that matters more seems to be the one after it.

Removed old image.

Added instance-locking to prevent multiple copies of the application running.
  18. Mirage
    • Donator

Small bump but, does anyone here actually play on a mac and/or could you give me the path to your notd bank?
  19. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Done.
  20. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Vigil may also have a built-in Chat functionality. Potential uses:
    - You're waiting for NOTD to load, you go to Vigil chat and talk to your team on classes/etc. You could also do this on Vent, but Vigil chat helps supplement or act as a solution for those without Vent
    - You are an EU player and can now chat live with SEA/NA players
    - NOTD chat channel is full (100 player limit), you login to Vigil NA channel to find games. That's assuming Vigil can even support anything close to more than 100 players per channel - so no promises here.

ETA for launch is 2013 - maybe. I'm going to pull a Blizzard on this and say that it'll be released when it's ready.