Standardizing Health and Shields

Discussion in 'Class Discussion' started by Kith, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

At some point I'm going to be screwing with the stats of our beloved roster to make their health/shields/health regen in-line with one another. Aside from weird edge cases (Demo, Path, Tech, UAV), Class stats are going to look like this:

Light: 20 Shields, 130 Health, 0.25 Health/sec
    Medium: 20 Shields, 160 Health, 0.50 HP/sec
    Heavy: 20 Shields, 200 Health, 0.75 HP/sec
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  2. Stereo
    • Development Team

Stereo Paper Boy

Outside of Medium and Light, Heavy classes should be assigned armor value on a case by case basis, imo.

Health Regen can be adjusted as necessary later, when many recons have died.
  3. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Heavies come with 4 armor as a class feature 'cause they're either slow or close-range.

Recon base stats are higher with this change, actually - 205 total durability vs NOTD's 180. Then again, NOTD 2 doesn't come with the infinitely more abusable stat system of NOTD, so take that as you will.
  4. Stereo
    • Development Team

Stereo Paper Boy

I assume the demo's 4 armor is being allocated into shields? Otherwise it just seems really silly.

We still have stat points, they just take stuff away now. The only issue is see is light classes needing to dedicate a slot to kits because of their low regeneration rate. Even with a medic, that is energy lost.
  5. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

If you checked the thread you would see that is indeed the case.

My point was that the maximum bonus is lower. Strength in NOTD gave 12 health per point, for a maximum of 108. NOTD 2's health boosting is only going to be able to get you 75 total.
  6. squish

squish Well-Known Member

This change doesn't appear to be well thought out because you have class specific roles that dictate their level of health. Doing this, that all goes out the door. Take for instance, the Forward Observer. A powerful class by his own right sees a buff that is not insubstantial by virtue of being a medium class.

A 25% HP increase and 30% shields buff is not minor in the least. Changing the game to be cookie cutter means you lose aspects of unique gameplay that comes with the territory of picking low hp medium weight classes that by nature dish out loads of pain but can't take much of it.

Another class that would laugh all the way to the bank of overpowered is the commando, getting a whopping +50 to HP and +10 to shields. I don't need to tell anyone how strong that becomes in a vacuum, let alone a team setting.
  7. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Light classes still have the lowest health pools by a fair margin.

I am aware of this. It is unlikely the Forward Observer will remain Medium.

Please stop being so concerned about tradition. It's exhausting.

Have you considered the possibility that I am intentionally shifting the Commando's balance of power to be less extreme? I mean, this is what you had to say when I clipped the Commando's DPS down:
    On top of that, stats work very differently in NOTD 2. Whereas in NOTD you could get 108 bonus health with effectively no drawbacks, in NOTD 2 you can only get 75 (and must sacrifice other stats to do so). Granted, the Commando has more Health to work with by default, but the player can no longer max out all of the stat categories without some kind of price - the overall strength of the character is being reduced even with the additional durability being added to their baseline.
  8. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Also hey, minor detail: Shields in NOTD 2 do not instantly regenerate. They have a 1 second delay between last taking damage before they start to come back. Shields regenerate at a rate of 1 point per second, just like Energy.
  9. rockz
    • Donator

rockz Well-Known Member

Looks good, but no reason light needs to be less HP regen than medium. If anything their armor will be faster to fix than medium's because it is less complex.
  10. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Nah, son. Light classes are the ones who are super powerful but have no durability to compensate. Folks like the Commando fall under the category of Light. Their health regen is lower to punish them for taking damage more compared to a Medium or a Heavy.
  11. rockz
    • Donator

rockz Well-Known Member

Sorry, I'm just thinking logically. It's not like the classes are balanced well. Commando is and will always be ridiculous until every player gets a nuke.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017 at 1:49 AM
  12. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

NOTD 2 Commando isn't getting Nuke.