Snowball this shit!

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Blaqk, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Operations and Web

Dear Ability,

I love you. There's a ton of crap that needs to be done to NOTD before HOTS. We're here to help, but we need to see your priority list so we know what to focus on and can modify our plans properly.

Let me tell you a story. Today, I decided I would hop on SourceForge and compile myself a Windows client for Unknown Horizons, a game I've been following since it first started development. Once I installed, I was greeted by a black screen. I hopped onto their forum only to discover that several other people were having this problem but the developers were too busy with bigger things to solve this small problem. Being impatient, I looked into it myself. It turns out that the engine it is built on has compatibility issues between OpenGL and older graphics cards, including my poor ATI 5870. I tracked down the settings file which, since its intended for the Linux kernel, is an .xml, not an .ini. With the file opened, I was shocked to discover that the only OpenGL setting involved compression, which wasn't related to the problem.

I told you that to tell you this. It took me 5 minutes to add two boolean settings and to verify that it fixed the problem. I then hopped on their wiki and added info on how to fix the problem.

This goes for Blaqk Ops and Developers. Start with the small problems and work our way up. Reflexes needs to be movespeed buff instead of attack speed? Great, 5 minutes to change and test. Next issue. I don't want to see NOTD run into the same problem that Unknown Horizons did by focusing too much on large, time-consuming work when there are important nuances that need adjusting. Before you start your next big project or before you start working on the next rework or revamp, take an inventory of all the little shit that needs to be done and take care of it first. The end result of a 5 minute change and a 5 hour change is not as much as you think. If you take the time to work out six changes that each take five minutes, then you have accomplished more than if you took care of one change that required 30 minutes.

Just sayin'. If you don't agree, say so.
  2. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

This is actually what I've been hired for. Direct Ability and the rest of the Dev Team towards the multitude of small problems that need fixing and complete extensive polishing on the game before undertaking bigger and more time consuming things. I'm actually speaking to Ability on Skype at the time of writing this post, and we're clearing up some longstanding weapon bugs.

To make a long story short, first we polish what we've got 'til we can see our reflections in it before we move on to adding more metal to the monster. What we have now is the basis of a fantastic game, it's just plagued by a wide variety of bugs. Once we get rid of those and everything that we have now is stable, then we can add on to it without a problem.
  3. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

Agreed. The core game is perfectly fine IMO. However there is a endless array of small bugs or edge cases that, while they don't crop up often, serve to slowly annoy people. I'm personally of the opinion that a feature freeze is in order. Most major software projects before a major release get to a point and say "No more". They fix any showstopping bugs, and try to clean up any others, but no features/revamps/redesigns are permitted. Many features need to be explained better or better tool tips or tweaking. Like Kith said, polish till its a mirror (remove most bugs, more efficient/effective implementations, clarify existing material).
  4. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Niteshade's thread on helping remove unnecessary code is a good help and our biggest priority atm. It's a big thing, but it comes from many small things that everyone can suggestion.

Agree that overall we need to polish the core and focus hard on that. The past 2 years have predominantly been about building new gameplay content. Polish + characterization is the strategic focus now.

Priority
    1. Optimize NOTD Map Script (we have reached the physical limit)
    2. Balance Survival (too farmable, especially in small teams)
    3. Implement Razor Tripwire
    4. Fix many, many bugs