Skill vs.Time

Discussion in 'Archive' started by JAW, Apr 30, 2012.

1. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

I suck at NOTD. When i play ops mando I tend to be underleveled for most of the game. I tend to get myself killed a lot. I don't have even 100 wins under my belt with about 15k exp. Yet somehow i have 1800+ rating.

It just seems to me like the game tends to treat anyone who plays on even a semi-regular basis as a god. And while high rating makes me feel all dandy inside, the simple truth is that I don't deserve it, I don't play on the same level as the "Old Vets", and I think rating should more accurately reflect this.

I think rating needs to simply be harder to get and easier to lose, but I want to know what other people think and hear new ideas.
  2. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

No.

There's too much trolling in the game to penalize rating any further. Cronus is a fantastic example. Yesterday in a nightmare Alpha game the dice rolled in the boss' favor and both of his laser blossoms fired directly at me. Since I'm not Korean, I couldn't react in time and got swept by both beams. I took around 50 health damage from it which stacked nearly 20 hits. I was only hit two other times the whole game.

I gained 5 fewer rating than the other survivors because of that.

1800/2000 isn't perfect rating. Until you have perfect rating, don't say it's too easy to gain.
  3. Mirage
    • Donator

Mirage ಠ_ಠ What are you looking at?

I don't see how you're underleveled as ops mando.. So easy.
  4. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Press dubya. Wait 5 seconds. Press Q.
  5. Zuriel

Zuriel Well-Known Member

Maybe it just means you're not suited for squishy classes. Try playing a beefy tank role if you keep dying, and if you still keep dying with 1.8k rating, maybe the rating system needs to be relooked.

But for now, I think the rating system is alright.
  6. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

Squishy classes don't benefit from rating resistance, so being that I play squishy classes almost exclusively, I should have a lower rating than I do, And while I understand that 1900-2000 is something I will never reach, it seems like (0-1900 = bad-mediocre) and (1900-2000 = pro) is just not a good way to gauge skill level. 0-1900 ratings have no real relative value (1600 player might be just as good as a 1800). The true active range for skill is about 600 units (1400-2000), why not lower starting rating and give the "pro section" more numbers to distinguish relative ability better?
  7. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

I think JAW has a point.

A lot of new players are managing to get 1750-1850 rating fairly effortlessly even if they tank a lot of hits or die a lot.
    Partially the rating not saving on death is to blame, partially the way the system works.

I understand that the opinion of some people is "don't complain until your rating is 1950+" but given that the highest SR difficulty is at 1800, it simply is too difficult for many newer players who should be playing at 1600 difficulty or even 1650.

Note current boundaries are 1600, 1650 and 1800. Anyone above 1k xp is nearly guaranteed to be in the 1700s over here at least because it is incredibly hard to get below 1700 unless you actively try to get hit early game like a boss.

When everyone then has 1700 rating and you get a few top rating guys, there SR is already 1800. And even without, they are always at 1650+

Consider this table from the wiki:
    1300-1399= Awful Player, 11 lives
    1400-1499= Bad Player, 9 lives
    1500-1599= Average Player, 6 lives
    1600-1699= Above Average Player, 3 lives
    1700-1799= Good Player, 2 lives
    1800-1949= Excellent Player, 1 life
    1950-2000= Extreme Player, 0 lives

People who simply rack up xp and still suck are in the 1700+ boundary, which suggests they are "good" players. Does simply winning whatever the cost make you a good player?
    Considering that unless you die right off the bat, regardless of the number of hits you take you CANNOT fall below 1500, why do we even have those last 2 categories? Indeed, unless you are a completely new player, falling below 1580 is pretty impossible too. I tried several times. It requires you to get 150+ hits before Starport, and keep racking up hits and lose some lives throughout to just get exactly 0 rating at the end. Is someone who gets hit throughout but not dying right away not a "bad" player or at the very least an "average" player?
  8. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

You've changed your post, what, 3 times now?

Oh, btw, you forgot SR requirements for extras like (Zeus and Leto respawn) and (Menotes)
  9. Emperor

Emperor New Member

Self deprecating, are we?
  10. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

I dunno. I consider myself an average player at best, or rather as average as someone with my experience can and should be. I know the mechanics of stuff, the layout, timings, etc. As Blaqk said, and I often say "I'm not Korean" and the ability for Troll Spawns/situations really can fuck me pretty hard, on top of my misfiring mind often confusing things in the heat of the moment. I can't count the number of times some Troll Situation either outright killed me or raped my rating, or I thought "Okay, kite this way" and found myself clicking something else for a net screwing of my marine.

Of course I also know that there are some experienced players who purposefully tank rating for easier games and more lives. And it's quite possible to do that. The Marksman, for example, seems to lose more rating for Hits than any other class in game. Which does suggest that the Normal/Hardened/Veteran marks are spread the way they are in order to complicate the lives of ratings tankers a bit. Even if you tank down to 1600 or something you are still getting Hardened games.
  11. Emperor

Emperor New Member

Two things for that:

1. Dat 5% movespeed.

2. I now have THREE endurance.
  12. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

It is not about penalizing everone else because a few people tank their ratings (which is now discouraged via ms bonus for high rating).

This is about people's rating being higher than it should be based on the definition of the rating table.

The purpose of even having 1300-1500 is questionable if you can't normally drop below 1600 and stay in the 15xx unless you die within the first 20 or so minutes.
    The only people who even have 15xx rating are those who just started.

Having the SR boundaries set as low as 1600 1650 and 1800 increases the learning curve maybe too quickly for new players when even the worst of them can't fall below 1600.

My feeling is to eiher adjust SR boundaries or make rating loss a lot more easy in the 15xx-17xx range (keep it as is in the 1800+ range).
    Making rating loss more easy on the mid end is probably the best solution. There is no penalty for low rating anyway, and the ms bonus should be earned, not freely given *considering you get it from 1600 onwards)
  13. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

Ghost is better at making my point than I am, so I'm just gunna let him do the talking for me. :)
  14. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Well said, Hufflepuff.
  15. elPuncho

elPuncho New Member

u shouldnt forget the rating bug atm if ur not host u dont lose rating, i still often just forget to type -s, so thats why so many "vets" have an rating at 1800
  16. Jercy

Jercy Well-Known Member

The game should just become much harder as the Squad Rating increases. Anything after 1900 sr should become extremely difficult and increasingly so as the squad rating increases.
  17. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

I agree, we do need a 1900+ sr bracket now.
  18. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

I don't see how that fixes the problem of rating below 1900 meaning absolutely nothing. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for giving you real pros more challenges, but the point of the thread is to think of ways to resolve the inaccuracy of the lower ratings, and to more accurately place SR triggers at appropriate levels.
  19. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Had I made a post about why we need that mode, then you're response would have been warranted. As it is you just tried to condemn me for agreeing with someone.

Think before you post, please.
  20. ProbeGst

ProbeGst Well-Known Member

Rating is for tank.
    Tank need to go in the front.
    That's why they get increase movement speed.
    Skill: how good you are.
    Time: how much you know.( better use of abrain) :3