Since we all know shockwave barrage sucks...

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by squish, Apr 28, 2012.

1. squish

squish Well-Known Member

I propose a change.

Suggestions:

Scattershot

15 energy
    10 cooldown
    Max calldown: 20
    Shell explodes for 50/100 damage upon impact, scattering other explosives, which explode moments later, inflicting open wounds due to fragmentation, and deal an additional 25/50 damage in 2/3 radius around the explosion

use: Crowd Control

( ( ) ) is what the AOE should seem like. Similar to reaper's G-4 cluster bomb from campaign

Mine Shells

20 energy
    15 cooldown
    maximum calldown 5
    Shell lands and explodes, scattering a maximum of 4/8 spider mines (level 2) in a 5 radius AOE outside of the impact zone

Use: area lockdown

Open to suggestions/constructive criticism?
  2. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

The former is more or less in role a Strictly Better version of the vanilla Fire Mission. No one would have any reason to use Fire Mission when they have Scattershot, other than stacking between cool downs. Generally "Strictly Better" ideas are poor grounds for design, especially in the same class.

And the Mine Shells circumvent the one designed flaw of Artillery, the ability to wiff due to a lack of timing and good positioning and wasting a finite resource (Shells).
  3. Zuriel

Zuriel Well-Known Member

Or: move napalm down, nerf slightly, and make T3 a replenishing skill that costs a lot of energy.
  4. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Also to consider, the best Artillery FOs I've seen DO make use of Shockwave shells to good effect during boss fights, Titans, etc. So it's not like NO ONE uses them. But it is an undervalued skill that new kids to the FO don't tend to appreciate.

It is to Artillery what Precision Shot is to the Combat Rifleman.

Nearly a 100% accurate statement. And people telling you Precision Shot isn't a good, vital skill tend to be Fools.
  5. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

^

In the horrible... horrible games where I random that damn FO in Easy Company, I'll rotate napalm and shockwave during Black Ops as well.

It's a good skill that doesn't need to be replaced.
  6. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

heyyyyy youuuu guysssss

There's a fo rework sitting in blackops that (as far as I'm aware) has been okay-ed by the brass and is waiting to be implemented.
  7. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Has the Electric Company approved it?
  8. MSluiter

MSluiter Member

My problem with shockwave is that is cuts into your shell limit. I think it should use fewer shells than the other abilities or only cost energy and 0 shells.
  9. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Well it does require shells to fire an artillery barrage, even if they're concussive shells.
  10. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

Well, I've noticed in cases where you cant use arty due to proximity, shockwave will simply stun the team, and it doesn't seem to affect bosses, so napalm stacking slows seems to work well on its own, doing damage as well.
  11. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

You can slow an enemy to negative movespeed but that wont stop them from attacking. Shockwave Barrage is a full stun. No attacks, no abilities, nothing. There's a difference in utility. If you can't grasp that, you're using FO wrong.
  12. ProbeGst

ProbeGst Well-Known Member

what if tier 2 give ammo to use more bombardement?
    XXXXXX
    the Forward Observer isn't limited by a numbers of shells!
    He sacrifice some energy in progress.
    lvl 1 - energy cost 50 and gives 30 shells
    lvl 2 - energy cost 40 and gives 60 shells
  13. Rataraxia

Rataraxia New Member

Shockwave barrage sucks because i dont want to stun something if i can kill it with napalm. Also this stupid delay of any barrage 3.5 sec and ff makes skill 100% useless(removing one of this will make a sense). I better use napalm, all targets caught by napalm cant move(even last boss in surv nm). There is no difference if enemies just dont move or they are just stuned, while they are far away from you and if they close no point to use napalm or shockwave, cause of ff. Also shockwave doesnt stun bosses.
  14. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Not really sure why there is such a demand for reloading shells myself. Long as I show a modicum of the sense God gave me and don't just 20/20/20 shell barrage everything I can sail through Alpha Company easily enough with a cushion of shells left over. Hell, I can even do Easy Company quite easily with shells left over unless my team is counting on me to do everything long range solo bombardment (e.g. I barrage out all the Nydus worms, alone. I barrage out all the Airlock/Factory Eggs, solo while my team camps. I barrage out the Domes, solo, while my team camps Fort hard), with no one bothering to throw even a single attack to help me out.

As well in Kith's rework the "Artillery" FO isn't limited to merely using shells, but also gets Airstrikes and the Gunship, so it's even LESS of a burden on the FO's shell count. Not to mention the basic Fire Mission will get both Shockwave Stuns and Napalm style burning.
  15. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

Well shockwave won't stun bosses, and napalm will kill anything thats weaker than a boss well enough on its own. It just seems to me that it won't stun the things you can't kill and will stun things that are better off eating a fire mission or napalm shell. I am probably missing something, and if you can lay out a specific example of when shockwave trumps fire mission and napalm, I would appreciate it.
  16. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton