Sharing rewards between NOTD and NOTD 2

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Blaqk, May 14, 2012.

1. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

This is a sensitive situation as there's no "easy way out".

On one end, yeah, the rich get richer. ArcanePiranha has more XP than Australia has predators. At the same time, I'm sure ArcanineParasect doesn't want to regrind that either.

[hr]

Here's what I see as the cons to sharing (by which I mean, shit you earn now goes towards V2, and what you earn on V2 comes back to V1):

1) Less motivation to keep playing if you already have a ton of rewards. This can be mitigated by adding new rewards. =O

2) Rich get richer.

3) Easy for hackers to claim they played the other version. (a bullshit, cop-out reason but I'm adding it so you can't)

[hr]

Here's the much heavier list of pros:

1) Those of us who have 30k xp after nearly two years of playing and gain xp at the speed of smell don't really want to have to do that again. In addition, crazy people like ArborealPanini don't want to regrind their six million pesos.

2) People who discover V2 as their first SC2 NOTD game can go back and play V1 and not feel like they are wasting their time. As it is, once V2 comes out there's a good chance V1 will fall into obscurity. That doesn't have to happen if we pull V2 off right.

3) It's a much needed olive branch to our already embattled new players. To our new players, 1000 xp is a chore and I've seen newbies ragequit NOTD altogether because they lost their 5000 xp bank.

[hr]

There's a third option, as well. If, for whatever reason, you absolutely refuse to allow shared banks, we could always "pull a BioWare." If nothing else, if you have a notdbank5, you can be given some sort of bonus gravy on your first game.

I stand by being allowed to share banks but, being so far from urgency, we have plenty of time to discuss it.
  2. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

RE: Sharing rewards between NOTD and NOTD v2

Honestly I kind of like Option 3. Doesn't even have to be a HUGE bonus either necessarily. Though should probably scale for some landmarks.

e.g.:

If you had over 5000 XP in NOTD1, your marine is referred to as a Veteran and gains a free 10% Crit Chance. So if you select a Rifleman instead of saying Rifleman it'll be Veteran Rifleman and you got that obvious badge of honor.

If you had over 20,000 XP in NOTD1 your marine is referred to as an Elite and gains the 10% Crit Chance of the Veteran and a 2% Movespeed Increase. Thus your Rifleman will be an Elite Rifleman.

If you had over 100,000 XP in NOTD1 your marine is referred to as an Vanguard and gains the 10% Crit Chance of the Veteran, 2% Movespeed of the Elite, and maybe things like Chapter Bonus XP (Everyone alive at the end of a Nightmare/Normal Chapter) is doubled.
  3. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

At least grant an increased xp gain for all three tiers.
  4. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

How about instead of the veteran, elite, and vanguard status you get an increased xp gain at victory that is (xp gained this game)*(sqrt(NOTD v1 total xp)/450). So if, for example, you get 100 xp for a win in notd v2 and you had 20k xp in notd v1, your bonus xp would be 100*sqrt(20,000)/450 = 31. I got the 450 number because if we assume that the most xp someone is going to get in NOTD v1 is about 200k, sqrt(200k) = 447, so if you have 200k your xp gain rate will be roughly double for victorious games in NOTD v2. Quick table of xp gains at each rank in a 100 xp victory:
    100xp +2xp
    500xp +5xp
    2000xp +10xp
    5000xp +16xp
    10000xp +22xp
    20000xp +31xp
    30000xp +38xp
    40000xp +44xp
    60000xp +54xp
    80000xp +63xp
    120000xp +77xp
    160000xp +89xp
    200000xp +100xp
  5. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Up to a certain, logical ceiling. It would be easier just to give a lump sum bonus, but to do that you may as well just let us keep our current earnings.
  6. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

You get the bonus xp up to whatever notd v2's version of 10k xp is.
  7. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Kinda why I didn't suggest increased XP unless you hit the very high mark. I mean if you're going to really increase gain for the old hands who come over to the new map, might as well just let bank files transfer over, or at least everything that has an equivalent transfer over as I have no idea what features might be removed, changed, or added in particular. And even then you're only talking about an extra say, 60 XP for Nightmare games or an extra 6 or so for Normal Mode. So it's not quite as insane.
  8. Zuriel

Zuriel Well-Known Member

I would suggest accelerated exp gain. That way, V1 players can re-grind the exp easier, and still get to interact with new v2 players.
  9. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Many of the old NOTDs had "-load old" options where veterans from previous games could use their old codes to keep their progress. They've already put forth hundreds of hours of play to earn their status, and I think it's extremely unfair to them to knowingly make it so one cannot keep the things that they've worked for. I want to retain what I worked for. Very few maps do that, and I want to be unique in doing so. Veterans will still have their veteran bonuses and credit shit that they worked for and earned, giving them an advantage. This is not to say that new players will not have advantages of their own (the lives system, hints, so on and so forth). It will be an all-new territory, and no matter how many bonuses you have, nothing beats knowing the game like the back of your hand.

I think it would be a fantastic way to extend the life of the current NOTD. Instead of abandoning it for new challenges, people who have played the original will be able to go back and play the old one without having to halt progress on either game. Those introduced to the series via the sequel will be able to go back and play the previous installment for different rewards and experiences. Having one's experiences and bonuses transition means that both games will continue to thrive, and there will be a true sense of progression. Nobody will feel that their efforts have been wasted, and newbies will be incentivized to continue playing because their bonuses that they've worked to gain will persist. I firmly believe that new players that see that the bonuses transition will be encouraged to play because they'll know that their hard work won't be for nothing if they decide to stick with the series.
  10. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

All good points and umm... lol @ my many names :D

I think this part is the most important part of all. There are people with 30K+ less then me, but still my equal because they too, know all, and thus can defeat anything.

Do I want to grind another 150k from scratch? Nope. Should I be forced to learn like a noob the new map and all of its intricacies? Absolutely yes.

To the end, a compromise of sorts, if this is doable. Have NotD V2 use the same bank file, but use 2 of the additional fields. Have one field store the XP gained in version 2 and have all players start from 0. Once a person reaches a milestone of import (akin to the 10k in current NotD), activate a second field, call it the "vet" field. This field, if active, will make the game use the old NotD V1 XP field. If the notd v1 field is <10k, set it to 10k, so that the person who grinds to 10 in V2 now has the same in V1.

For newbies, it will make playing either version worthwhile. For old vets, once we get to 10k, which as vets we should be able to EASILY learn the new NotD given our experience, and will regain all our bonuses fairly quickly, since for many vets, 10k is basically nothing (less then 1 weeks worth of game time).
  11. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

I'd prefer we not do that, even if we could. Again, what about the newbies that only have a couple thousand experience?
  12. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Remind me about the rationale for this thread.
    Was it that v2 = map arcade = banks stored on Blizz server as opposed to local?
    If so, how would it load partial v1 banks?
  13. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

Blizzard has not yet confirmed if they are moving banks onto their servers. My guess is they will, but not immediately, and not without issues.
  14. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

If Blizzard does move their banks server-side, we can use Vigil to transfer the information to V2.
  15. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

It's like I said, assuming we can, we should examine a plan of action on what we're going to do if we're given the chance to make cross-platform compatibility between banks. If the situation arises that we're able to allow players to retain their progress, we'll have a plan ahead of time and not be fumbling about trying to figure things out at the last second.
  16. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

^ dat

It's low priority, but it's not something to overlook. Expect a lot more "WAT WE DO ABOOT V2" threads in the near future. The earlier we start planning, the healthier we'll be.
  17. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Yea, I think the planning is good - I just wanted to make sure I understood what the probable scenaria are which Blizzard throws our way and the timeline.
  18. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Just to clarify, v2 is still the same map. NOTD 2 is the Mars map.
  19. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

I'll rename the thread then. =\