Saving vs Auto-saving

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by CHENZ, Mar 27, 2012.

1. CHENZ

CHENZ New Member

I thought I'd throw this question out there.

What exactly is the mechanic of saving or typing "-s"? does the game autosave for you upon end of the game?

i ask this question because although i realise the game autosaves for you when you DIE, i haven't noticed it doing the same anytime else.

I also have a couple of instances when <200xp players finish a game with me, start a new game and then yell "what happened to my xp?" This problem is exacerbated when some people on the channel claim that the game autosaves when you win, while others disagree.

I thought this thing should be verified quickly so we can have a common message to tell new players. Nothing is more demoralizing to have your first win taken away from you because nobody explains the "-s" function to the new players (usually that's the last on the priority list) i'd even go as far as to ask for auto-savepoints, but i think that's going to be a long pipe dream.
  2. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

I honestly don't know. I always -s save.

And you're right no one explains it. However I find most newbies will type -s into chat if they see everyone else doing it. At the very least that should be added as one of the Newbie Tips that flash in game.

Upon death of Final Boss/Player Charcter:

Type "-s" (Minus the quotation marks) into chat to save your character's Mission Experience. Mission Experience allows you to rank up gaining access to new classes, stat points, and features of NOTD.
  3. KatsuraJun

KatsuraJun New Member

As far as my experiences go, hitting "Return to Earth" or whatever that button is at the end results in an autosave. Waiting until the game boots you however, might not. I believe that's what happened to the newbie yesterday, not sure.
  4. zander

zander Member

yea i think it autosaves when u die cause theres something on the side tht says like saved
  5. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

As per bug list, the game doesn't even autosave properly when you die (rating wise)
    Generally autosave is not working really currently other than for player 1, so always type -s.
  6. CHENZ

CHENZ New Member

then i'm going to assume by default that the game does not autosave and start hunting down those people who tell newbies the game autosaves.
  7. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

Before it is highly inconsistent since the bank "upgrade", just assume the game does not autosave. It still does, in certain situations, and still mostly saves correctly for player one. That being said, the autosave isn't guaranteed to save everything. I've had autosaves not carry over rating, but did carry exp, and I've had them carry over exp, but not medals. Until it's officially resolved, just instruct players to always use the text command saves, it's the only way to be certain.