Satchel got any real use?

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Krohox, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Krohox

Krohox New Member

Satchel, probably one of the most hated abilities, has been one of the best TK abilities and a super hog ability early game. Unless the team is being is being wrecked by a giant mob and Demo got no Fire Wall, the only thing satchel can do is being an EXP black hole, swallowing anything that gives EXP.
    In hand of less experienced players, Satchel is the deadliest thing to the Demo's team. Countless times I was tanking something or was trapped by a mob and the demo just put a satchel on my head. Some of them don't think Satchel can friendly fire, and lay them right on the team, hoping to kill mutas or any other infested, but end up with a TK. I already saw that happen once or twice, unfortunately didn't got the replay or pics.
    So I'm asking you: Satchel got any beneficial use to the team on common situations?
  2. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

I like it for kite segments. For example when you're running Nydus Worms post Erebos Mark I. You can just throw the satchel in front of you, run over it, and smite down everything that was trying to bite your ass. Or if you have to kite out the Queen, same deal.
  3. Zuriel

Zuriel Well-Known Member

Carefully planted with teammates that co-operate and not stand on your satchels, they are devastating.

Its easy to lure mobs into a narrow area where demo can plant his satches, and then the whole team saves ammo, and shares exp.

Very cost efficient.
  4. ProbeGst

ProbeGst Well-Known Member

it's says 250 but it must be 270 tool tip error that i last saw.
  5. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Not to mention blowing up the gates to Apollo so you can run into the lab early and get lasers in time for Tartar Sauce/Elly or Erebos Mark I.

/flashback
  6. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

Practical Uses would be, minimal. It can help kill down the Airlock hordes, as they come from a single direction and are very predictable. However, traps/escape/tanks are often plenty enough to deal with them. Satchels could be good for destroying the Nydus worms, but I'd worry about the demos lack of dps or survivability, he could potentially get into a bad situation with either infested marines, lelethos, or larva. Again, satchels could be of use during domes A, C, and D, but the Stinger's presence in Non-Recruit, and the easiness of Recruit makes it unnecessary. This is on top of towers, nukes, traps, and tanking. In Alpha, even if demo was present, I dont see any real usage except maybe satchel bombing outside the labs during the tanaka protect sequence. In Apollo one of the few real (and effective) uses is bombing Deimos eggs. Deimos is almost always fought in a stationary manner, from high ground. Theres very low risk of satchels hurting allies, and not having to deal with Minions is a nice boon. Only other real usage is during the large athena hordes, just tossing them out as some aoe damage to kill her big bad hordes.
  7. poor_newb

poor_newb Member

make it do 1/2 damage to teammates so it doesn't 1 shot somebody from full health and its fine
  8. Pyromaniac

Pyromaniac Well-Known Member

Satchel is useful throughout all of sec team due to large amount of agrons and enemies in general. The mines are likewise bad in apollo due to the large amound of stationary play, or times where one must move to a degree where mine micro would be too risky. With proper use, the satchel and firewall, along with fire vun can make all stationary fights easier.

Pro Tip: use satchel ONLY for deimos eggs for the deimos battle, the dps on the boss itself is neglegible
  9. SkullCapp

SkullCapp Well-Known Member

Least, Satchel should be able to kill Athena's Cacoon. I think.
  10. Pyromaniac

I hear firewall can do that, but satchel would be decent dps against athena since you would have firevun to make it do a fair amount of damage
  11. grandmarshal

grandmarshal New Member

12. Froblock

Froblock Well-Known Member

Even if i was Explo Demo and i maxed out the whole explo tree.
    I wouldn't use satchels. In EC i have barely any use for satchels. I have it upgraded and thats about it.
    Mostly use mines, fire wall, fire vuln.

Satchels is just a waste of my energy, much like the engineer's plasma discharge.
    And its a damned long wait to get that energy back to do a firewall or some bull shit.
  13. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

I find satchels very useful on ec, and while mines can be saved up for bosses for a quick blast of damage, satchels have a higher dmg/energy ratio than mines, are ridiculously good against eggs (both airlock and queen), and kills things instantly, saving ammo against agrons, whereas firewall just slows them down enough to be gunned down and doing maybe 200 dmg if you're lucky.
  14. Pyromaniac

I wouldnt mind if satchel went away for another skill... I defended it for apollo, a campaign where Demo will eventually be replaced
  15. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

:(
  16. marloelikeswaffles

marloelikeswaffles New Member

Yeah, I found a good deal of satchel's usefulness *only* in Apollo. It kills eggs semi-fast in Easy Company, and can be a way to deal with huggers/rocks (because it can be used blind and over walls and suchlike) as well as repel the armored/hulk holdout after nydus worms; but there are abilities that TK less and do more.

>_> it's a classic ability, though. I'd miss it if it went.
  17. Archangel

Archangel Well-Known Member

shit.....dont give me explosive demo in ec. ill throw some many satchels out that it would blow ur mind (word play win).

plus....satchels are amazing effective in saving the civs from armord zombs. can nearly 1 shot them.
  18. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

But what about my super duper Exploder in EC NM? :D :p
  19. Archangel

Archangel Well-Known Member

those are ur silly little mines that u throw out like random deer shit. Mine are like T-Rexs dropping bombs on peeps

............................................ . . . .
    ........ ...................... ............ ...:,. . . .. .. .. . . ........ ...
    ...... .. . ...,$DDMD$ODI... . .?N7IDZDM.. . .. . ........ .. . .. . ..............
    ...... .. . .. ..,~ZO????????IOO8ZI~78I????I?IDO?:. . . .. . .
    ...... .. .. . .. .$OI??????7ZMDZDMI?7ZOMI?????I??I$ZDM . .. .. .. . . . ........ ...
    .... . .. .. .,OD??????IZZ$D+?$7$OM?7Z$OZZI???????$Z$O.. .. .. .. . . ........ ...
    ...... ..=$OONDMDO???????I$ZZDDM+:,~87M$ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZODDO?,.. .. .. .. .. ........ ...
    .......,+OO$7??????I77??????$88OZO8. IMM?D$ZZZZZZ7I?I?I7$777ZZ$I?IZO$,..... . . .. .
    .... ?NZI????????7ZZ$I???????+??I??OI.II,=DZMO7II??7$??????????I?????O8M888?.. . ............ .
    ...=DI?????????7ZZZ$$????????$7???O??8DDO$O???????????????????77+?II7??????IM7$I,. . ..............
    ..M$?????????IZZZZDM????????ZZZ????MDZ$ZMD??I$?$I??III????????I?MD7I???I7I??????DM... ........ ....
    IMI????????I$ZZZ$I??????????II$I?????I7I???IZZZ$?????ZZZ$????????777N$?????IZ$????DDD? .
    ???????????$ZZZ7????????????????II????7$ZZ7????????ZZ??????I?????????7??7MOZZZZZZZZZZ$N$I..... ...
    ???????????ZZZZ$?????????????????????????????????7ZZZZ$????????????$7????$OOMZZZZZZZZZZ$ZMO... .
    ??????????IZZZZI????????????????????????????????7ZZZZZZZZ$I???????I7I????II??D8ZZZZZZZZZZZO8=.......
    ?????????$$$8$?????????????????????????I$77777$ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ$I?????????ZI????I$$ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ$,.....
    ????IZ7?IZZMO?????????????7ZZ77???????????7$ZZZZZZZZZZZI??II??7????????????Z7???7ZZZZZZZZZZZZ$D.....
    ????$Z??IZ$DZ???????????????77I????????????????7ZZZZZZZZZZ7????????????????77?????????ZZZZZZZZ$M?...
    ????$???IZ$DZ?????????????????????????????????ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ$?????????????????????$MM8?ZZZZZZZZZM:..
    ????????IZOZZ????????????????????????????II7ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ$I7I???????????????????I$MMM8ZZZZZZZ$D=..
    ????????IZZOZ??????????????????????7ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZI??????I$Z$7I??????????Z7?7MM8ZZZZZZ$D=..
    ?????I$IIZ$OZ7???????????????????????$ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ????????I??I??I$7?????7ZZZZZZZZZZZZ$D:..
    ??$7ZZ??7Z$8ZZ$?????????????????????7ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ$ZI???????????????I?II???IZZZZZZZZZZZZZD,..
    ??Z$ZI??$ZZMZZZ$???????????????????$ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZIIZ$IZI?????????????????????IZZZZZZZZZZZZZZD,..
    ??ZZ???ZZ$O$ZODMM8OZZ$I????$Z??$Z??IZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ$?ZZIZZ$Z??Z7??$?????????????ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZM,..
    ?IZZ??ZZ$DDZZZZZZDD8MMOO$$ZZZZZZZI??$ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ$ZZZZZZZZZ??ZZ?IZ?????????????ZZZZZZZZZZZZZMI...
    ?7ZI??ZZDOZ$$ZZZZZDM$Z88DDM888Z$ZZZ$$$Z$ZZ88MMMMDMOMMM888OZO$$$$ZZ?Z$???ZI?7Z??I$IZZZZZZZZZ$$DM.....
    ?77??$ZNNZZ?7ZZZZZZZOZNDO88888888OD88888888888888DOD=DD=MZ.ZZ+NNZ8N8OOOZZ$7ZZZZZZZZZOO8O8DDI7O~.....
    ??I?$ZNO8$??$ZZZZZZZOM$$888888888888888888888888888MNDON8ZM8$.?I.+M:,M7..MO,$O~~$M,,OO..7O=?M~......
    I?I?Z$DO8I?IZ$?7Z7??Z$OZDD8888888888888888888888888888M88MO$IO.O~ON.?=O.+7$=OI..O$.+?O.=Z8.OM.......
    $???Z$OD8??IZ7??77???7MDZD8O88888888888888888888888888888Z,.M=,OO~I=O+O~M7+O,?.::I=O~O:M~$IM~ ......
    Z$??$Z$DOI??Z?????????IOZZDNO888888888888888888888888888?.....:Z.,D+.O=D,DO..7IO,D?.I$$,.=~.........
    IZ??7O7D8I??7I??????????MO$ON8888888888888888888888888O..............OM. ,...M=..: .OO..............
    ?7I?7DIO8$???$????????I?$M77OO88888888888888888888888$,............. : ..... .....................
    $?$?ZM?7NZ7??7Z???????$I?Z$I?M88888888888888888888888...............................................
    D?ZIOD??D$Z???7ZI?????IZ??NZ?7MO8888888888888888888$:...............................................
    $?ZZDDOIIDZ$???7Z7??????ZI$88??D8O88888D88888888888. ...............................................
    $?Z$8?NZ?MDZ$????ZZZI???7ZZ$D??MD8888888M888888888~.................................................
    $I$M??8D$?D$ZI?????$$I???7ZZZZ?7M88888888NO88888O:..................................................
    Z$NZ$7?88I?N8$$?????ZI????$ZZNZ?788888NN88M88888I...................................................
    ZZ7?$II?8Z$??DZ$I????I????I$ZZZ??M888888M8ON888$,...................................................
    OMIZ7I?7IMOI?IM$ZI?????????IZZZ??7M888888M88NDO:............................BOOM BABY!....................
    8ZZZZ77?$?87I??M8Z7?????????$ZZ7??D8888OO8D88MI.....................................................
    O?ZZOD$??$IZD7IZ$D8Z$I??????IZZZ7??MNODN8ODN88$7D...................................................
    +?Z$ZD7$??Z??$ZZZZZM$Z$I?????ZZZZ??D+8O8MD8888OM+,? ................................................
    $ZZZ7D?Z7??ZI?7$ZZ$$NDZZ?????$ZZZ$?7MDI:N888MD8MO7M.................................................
    $IZZ????$??IZ??MZZZZZZ8$ZI????Z?7Z7?O+7NDMMD8888MI.IM,..............................................
    $?7ZI???IZI??ZIIDOZZZZOM$ZI???I7?ZZ??NMO ~8888888MM~N...............................................
    7???$III??$??DMMMMOZZZZZMDZZ7??$$?$I?ZI?NNMN8888OO8$I=..............................................
    DO???I?ZI?IDMMMMDZOMDODM.+OZZ7??I?7$?IMO.~88DD88NO88N,... ..........................................
    $8??????$?$MMMMM8ZZZZZZZ7.$M$Z7????ZMI7MMNMOMD888MDO8DMMO...........................................
    ?8??I7??INMMMMM8ODZZZZZZ8,.,8$Z????7OZ?$7+:O88DND88N888D8:.: .......................................
    I+O???ZI8$ZMM8ZD8ZODDDDD?. ..M8ZI???$DI?8OMM$:$N8888OMD88DMO........................................
    I?DO??7DO??I$ZZMZZZZZZZ$M? ...$$Z????$M7DM,.,ONN88888888888N,.......................................
    Z7IM7?IM7???$ZZD8$$$Z$ZZOM.....MZ$????OM?M.?DNMMD88NMD8O8888M:......................................
    ?7I?NON$???$ONMDMMMMMMOOZD,....,Z$$????Z??MI:~N88888DON8NO888M......................................
    ?IZ7?OI???I87DMMMMMM8ZZZDM.. .. .MZI????M?Z8MDDON8888N:.?ZOMO= .....................................
    7?ZZDD???DD?IDMMMMMDZZOOZ8,. .. .~MZ$???DD?Z$~$D8ODN88MMMO+O..~.....................................
    777$Z??+8I???7ZDDODDZZZZZZ7. .....=7Z7?7?D??OI88N+=8888I.?O.$OO, ...................................
    ?Z$M??ODI??????+?DOZZZZZZZM~... . .MOZ$I77O?ZN?:.MD88O8NOMOO,O.. ...................................
    I?8I?????????MO??N$ZZZZZZZD7 .. . ..+DZZZZOM$$MNNM$ON888M.~O=ON7 ...................................
    ZID?????????8$Z??$MZZZZZZZN+... . .. $DZZZ$OZZOM,.IO8DM88MMM~~+. ...................................
    Z$D????????8M$ZZ7?78DZZ$Z8?. .. .... .?M$ZZZD8$ODM8MO7D88$..OMM~....................................
    77M7?????ZD??DNZZZ$7I7$8ZZZ. .. . .. .O8ZZZZOZZN$:$8DZ$8ZODZ......................................
    ??DD??8DNZZZ7??MOZZZZZZZZZ8O... . .. . .$M$ZOM8Z$MM..MI7MM.. .....................................
    ??OD??I$OOZZZZZ?DOZZZZZZZZOM:...............?MOZOD$Z$NMOM887........................................
    ??8$???$ZMZZZZZI?DZZZZZZZZZD~.. . .. .. ..,+OMMZZ$ZZ$OO,......:=??= ............................
    ??8?????$ZNZZZZZZ$OD8ZZZZZ8D... . .. .. ........:=?7?, ...IONMMMMO$?+...........................
    ?7MI?????$OOZZZZZZZZ$ODMDM$. .. . .. .. ...............=8Z????OM~...............................
    $DMO?????$ZDZZZZZZZZZZZZZZOM~.. . .. .. .........,=+$DDI??????$D?...............................
    $ZDM+????$$DZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ$8. .. .. .. .......=M$I???????I7$ZZM=...............................
    ??$MDD???7$OZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZOO . .. .. .....IMI????I$ZZM8DMDMO$8:..............................
  20. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

LOL @ ASCII Art. But my mines kill so much :D (including allies from time to time, Jercy knows all too well :p)