Ryan's Demolitions Guide

Discussion in 'Strategy and Tactics' started by Ryan III, May 17, 2012.

1. Ryan III

Ryan III Well-Known Member

Ryan's Demolitions Guide
    [​IMG]
    Basic Stats
    Base Life: 200
    Base shields: 100
    Base armor: 2
    Base shield armor: 1
    Base shield regen: 2.5

Before we get started: Remember that it you decide to skill fortitude, you are a shield tank, and it is important that your medic gets nano shield before nano weave and XS-4 armor goes to you of found. If you go explosives, remember you are a caster dps, never take anything before your tank and high dps classes get, the only item you have priority on is the High Explosive Ammo.

Innate Abilities:
    Sap: Stuns a target for 7 seconds, reduced time on bosses, stun will break if fired upon

Retrieve Mines: Grabs a target mine and puts it back into the stack. Can pick up allied mines

Expertise: Because he has wired many explosives, he has the knowledge to hack the auto turrets at the armory.

[​IMG]
    Bomb Suit: Demolitions wears a suit to nullify the effect of explosions, therefore he is 8 times more resistant to rating loss from hits.

Talent Trees: Explosives:
    [​IMG]
    Tier 1:
    Mines
    Level 1: 15 Max charges, mines deal 40 damage
    Level 2: 30 Max charges, mines deal 60 damage
    Level 3: 45 Max charges, mines deal 80 damage
    This is the skill you will be using the most, it can almost insta kill any boss with a large enough minefield

Build Mines:
    Level 1: Builds 2 mines
    Level 2: Builds 4 mines
    Level 3: Builds 6 mines
    As mines do run out, this skill rebuilds them.

Tier 2:
    Satchel
    Level 1: Deals 135 damage in a radius
    Level 2: Deals 270 damage in a radius
    One of the most TK causes in he game, I would suggest not to get this skill.

Fire Vulnerability:
    Level 1: Targets in an area will take 50% more damage from fire weapons
    Level 2: Targets in an area will take 100% more damage from fire weapons
    This increases the effectiveness of you skills, laser rifles, flamethrowers, and the feared commando's nuke.

Tier 3:
    Armageddon:
    Level 1: Places a charge at a target area with a remote detonation, when detonated it will take 5 seconds to arm itself and during this time zombies and marines in its blast zone will be slowed, after it is finished arming, it will explode dealing 550 damage in its blast zone, after the explosion it will leave an aftermath which will do 35 damage per second to anyone who gets into its blast radius.

Talent Tree: Fortitude:
    [​IMG]
    Tier 1:
    Spiked armor:
    Level 1: Deals 5 damage to attackers, adds 5 base shields, and adds 1 shield armor
    Level 2: Deals 10 damage to attackers, adds 5 base shields, and adds 2 shield armor
    Level 3: Deals 15 damage to attackers, adds 5 base shields, and adds 4 shield armor
    Pretty straight foreword, very helpful in nightmare mode and in veteran mode

I'm Your Father
    Level 1: Provokes zombies to attack Demolitions for 4 seconds, attacks deal 15% less damage
    Level 2: Provokes zombies to attack Demolitions for 6 seconds, attacks deal 30% less damage
    Level 3: Provokes zombies to attack Demolitions for 8 seconds, attacks deal 45% less damage
    Basicly like taunt, same mechanics, but better and saves more lives.

Tier 2:
    Look!
    Level 1: Zombies in 5 radius stare at a target unit for 1 second, 50% chance for affected zombies to attack target
    Level 2: Zombies in 5 radius stare at target unit for 2 seconds, 50% chance for affected zombies to attack target
    This is a distraction to buy you some time during time to die's cooldown or to seek medical aid

Sadist:
    Level 1: Gains 2 health and 1 shield for every unit killed
    Level 2: Gains 4 health and 2 shield for every unit killed
    Helpful when taking down mobs, a good demolitionist can run into battle and emerge unharmed or even healed.

Tier 3:
    Time To Die
    Level 1: Demo gains 15 armor, 50% increased attack speed, movement speed increased by 25%, deals a 200 damage AOE which also stuns units for 1 second, this repeats every 3 seconds, lasts 20 seconds.
    The ultimate, a very strong one indeed, this is what makes demolitions capable of tanking almost everything.

Talent Builds for the Explosive Demolitions
    Build 1:
    1: Mines
    2: Mines
    3: Mines
    4: Build Mines
    5: Build Mines
    6: Build Mines
    7: Satchel
    8: Satchel
    9: Armageddon
    This build has the advantage of early mines, you will have giant minefields for bosses and mobs, however satchel is pretty much useless when you get Armageddon.

Build 2:
    5: Fire Vulnerability
    6: Fire Vulnerability
    7: Build Mines
    8: Build Mines
    This build has the full power of your land mines, Fire Vulnerability to anything that dares to walk through your mine field will suffer greatly, however, if you run out of mines, you will be the one suffering.

Build 3:
    5: Fire Vulnerability
    6: Build Mines
    7: Build Mines
    8: Fire Vulnerablility
    I find this the best build, you get the increased damage for mines from Fire Vulnerability, and if you do run out of mines, you won't feel that much pain as you rebuild them.

Build 4:
    2: Build Mines
    3: Build Mines
    5: Mines
    6: Mines
    7: Fire Vulnerability
    8: Fire Vulnerability
    This build, if you do the math, does more mine damage than any of the listed builds, this is because you have 3 times the damage of 1/2 of a level 3 mine due to build mines. Fire Vulnerability is always helpful when increasing damage from your mines.

Other Things to Remember when building a exploder demolitions: satchel has no reduced friendly fire, it can kill your whole team.

Talent Tree Builds: Fortitude
    Build 1:
    1: Spiked Armor
    2: Spiked Armor
    3: Spiked Armor
    4: I'm Your Father
    5: Look!
    6: Sadist
    7: I'm Your Father
    8: I'm Your Father
    9: Time To Die
    This build has the power to hold off mobs very well but lack of 3 I'm Your Father will give the demolitions a hard time when tanking bosses and luring.

Build 2:
    1: I'm Your Father
    2: I'm Your Father
    3: I'm Your Father
    4: Spiked Armor
    5: Sadist
    7: Spiked Armor
    8: Spiked Armor
    This build will help in all types of tanking. Mob tanking, boss tanking, and luring. The early 3 I'm Your Father will help to keep zombies off of face tankers. The only flaw in this build is that you lack a distraction if you are in mortal danger.

Build 3:
    6: Look!
    7: I'm Your Father
    9: Time to Die
    This build has the distractions needed in case of a freak injury, however, when you are surrounded with no where to run and at low health, look! Won't be as much help as sadist unless your team/medic reacts fast enough.

Build 4:
    5: Sadist
    6: I'm Your Father
    7: Sadist
    This build is one used mainly for nightmare tanking, you don't need level 3 I'm Your Father that early in the game of your playing it EU style and even in NA style, the team will usually have a experienced commando, whom kills everything who dares to strike you. Also level 3 Spiked Armor is useful to kill off charging ghouls and such.

Build 5:
    1: I'm Your Father
    3: I'm Your Father
    7: Spiked Armor
    8: Spiked Armor
    Also for nightmare tanking, the early I'm Your Father helps with preventing anyone but yourself from getting hit. The small pseudo-stun from look helps you or allies get out of sticky situations, and sadist helps in mob tanking. After that, your shields are practically immortal, as them breaking is rare.

Stratagy and Tactics:
    3...2...1... BOOM!
    Laying a giant minefield for an expected boss that will injure it badly. Careful as if an ally gets caught between the boss and the mines, things might get dark. Also, do not place them right in front of the boss or else if they spawn they will attack the mines instead of running into them.

I'll Place You Here and You There...
    Using mines to scout, for example, placing a few mines at every hex during the bio domes so you know where the civs are.

AND RUN!
    Placing a satchel under you and staying on it to lure a mob, and then running away just at it explodes. Warning, for experianced players only, or for Korean people.
    Note: It also works with armageddon, it is just harder to pull off.

Fanning Out the Mines:
    Sometimes clustering a ball of mines is bad, it works great against mobs but not so much for mobs, fanning out the mines, aka spreading them will help you kill more zombies than a ball, if it doesn't outright kill, it will injure badly.

FV all the things!
    Do it, it increased the damage of all your skills, and the commando's nuke, see a mob charging at your mines? FV them, they'll have a very, very low chance of surviving that.

Chain of Death:
    To deal with charging zombies on nightmare and with fast zombies such as ghouls, you sometimes need to make a line of mines in front of you, so your mines will have an advantage.

I'm Your Father
    Spam it during any type of tanking, and I mean SPAM, it has no cool down and reduces damage by 45%. This is also another reason why demolitions can tank the queen

Look! A Bird!
    Using look to create semi tanks for you are perfect, if you are out on shields and one good whack will kill you, use Look! To create a mini tank to save you. It is also used to save lives, if someone's getting mauled, use look to clear a high priority unit with their own type, not to mention it also makes a neat mini tank so you can rush in and taunt to save whoever was face tanking.

Class Synergy:The Xploder Demolition
    Delta Commando:
    Works very well, the commando can gravity grenade units for the demolitonist to satchel or fire vulnerability. Also the delta commando can drag units or bosses into the demolition's mines. A perfect example of this is that a demolition lays a minefield large enough to one shot Erebos phase 1. However, nothing is preventing Erebos from destroying some mines. A delta commando can use The Horror on Erebos which will disable all attacks, and then the commando will use gravity grenade to drag Erebos into the mines.

Class Synergy: Fortitude Demolition
    Forward Observers:
    A little strange but still useful none the less, a fortitude demolitions can use look to ball up units for a artillery strike or an air strike, however, it is not always prone to work and because they are not in the same storyline, it is incredibly rare to see this.

Medic:
    A friend to tanks and the demolitions is no different, a good medic with a good demolitions can tank the queen on nightmare mode due to nano shield's shield buffing power. I still have to meet a demolitions who doesn't like nano shield.

Surveillance Recon:
    The Recon's Reaper MK-1 Drone has a very helpful skill that every demolitions would enjoy, and that's protect. Protect for those of you who don't know adds 200 shields to the selected target. With nano shield and protect, the demolitions can have over 400 shields!

Delta Commando:
    Very strange combo but a useful one nonetheless, a commando can ball up a small group of lesser zombies and have the demolitions run in and beat everything to death and in doing so regains some health lost in battle or he can use Time to Die and charge in with his scary armor of fire and fury.

Additional Tips:

Weapons/Skills that Fire Vulnerablility boosts:
    Commando's Nuke - Greatly feared among men and zombie alike, you can boost damage up to 2400.
    Rifleman's Grenade - Also feared by, but not as effective.
    All your Explosives tree skills - Armageddon with this is practically a nuke packed into a bomb.
    Flamethrower - "If your not using the flamethrower in Easy Company, then your doing it wrong."
    ~NiteShade
    Laser Rifle - Useful only for the queen, and with a commando you should be doing it anyway, it boosts nuke damage and he should always get a laser rifle.

What you should use look! on.
    High priority units - Slashers, Argons etc
    Huggers - Huggers are never alone and it's always fun to see it die by its own kind.
    Another Tank: If your life is hitting 1-50 then you should use look! On another tank to save yourself. It is also helpful to save allies if you are in need of medical aid

Credits:
    The NotD Wiki and all who edited it: Helped in getting the right numbers.
    Marloe/Marloelikeswaffles: a lot of the techniques here came from his original guide.
    Anyone who suggested ideas to my guide: Helped a lot
    Anyone who likes demolitions: GO DEMO!!!!
    To-Do List
    • Wait for feedback, if not, it's going on the wiki to increase the amount of demolitions (Good Ones)
  2. Ryan III

You may now post suggestions
  3. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Remember when you're playing with mines for bosses, don't set them right near where the bosses will appear. Otherwise they'll just attack the mines out and that's a huge waste. So you need to set them a bit back from where the boss will appear (Or if you know EXACTLY where he'll spawn right on top of him in the case of Mineshaft bosses). Offsetting them though also gives you time to Fire Vulnerability. It's cheap, it's spammable, it makes your mines twice as effective. You're a sucker if you're not using it. So when you mine for Tartar Sauce, you don't put them next to the door, you put them down by the north end of the Rubble. When you mine for Erebos Mark I you don't put it by the gate, you put it between the Northern Egg Clutches.

Daisy Chaining Mines: Instead of putting all your mines in one big glob, particularly when dealing with common spawns, chain out your mines so they are spaced apart and follows a likely path that enemy mobs will come at you from. This is especially important when dealing with fast moving mobs. A single blob of mines won't go off because fast movers will be past them and out of their range before they go off. If they are chained however, the "Spotting" range for a lead mine will allow the following mine to catch a fast mover.

FV All the Things: Do it. It's by far your most damage effective skill. For 7 energy you double the damage of not only your own talents, but also for teammates. Particularly since Easy Company is a Flamethrower's paradise and your team has no reason NOT to be using them. Unless they are using Laser Rifles. WHich also benefit.
  4. Ryan III

i'll call this Fanning out the mines thanks
  5. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Fanning is good, but you also need Depth, other wise Ghouls, Zoombies, and anything with a creep advantage pretty much can run past but a single line. It's why I said Chaining. Thus like:

[align=center]Enemy coming From Here!

v

Mine

v

Mine

v

Mine

v

You[/align]

Instead of:

[align=center]Enemy Coming From Here!

v

Mine - Mine - Mine - Mine - Mine

v

You[/align]
  6. Ryan III

letme think of a catchy name for it for now i'll call it chain of death
  7. Ryan III

Updated class synergy
  8. Ryan III

9. Ryan III

Pretty much finished it now I need to get pictures for tactics.
  10. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

I'd like to see you expand on the class synergy ways a bit more. Ideally ones that are a bit deeper than "Red Eyes Black Dragon using Protect!", such as what happens with deeper combos like a Demo and Survival Rifle, etc.
  11. HipHopDragon
    • Warden

HipHopDragon Warden

Why dont you switch 5 and 6? Build Mines lvl 2 => 100% more mines for no increase in energy Fire Vulnerability lvl 1 50% dmg for 7 Energy. That means you have to get a lot of +dmg from other sources (and how many ppl realy deal Explosive/Fire damage except Explo Demo in EC?).
  12. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Flamethrowers, Commando Nuke, Rifleman Grenade.

Flamethrowers being the primary importance there.
    [hr]
    Also; Every point in Mines sets your mine count to a number, something along the lines of 10, 20, and 30. By saving talent points in mines, until Tartarus for example, you can easily throw down 60 or so for free.
  13. HipHopDragon
    • Warden

HipHopDragon Warden

You get 2/3 of the max Mines when you skill it, but that has nothing to do with changing (or not changing) your skills at lvl5 and 6.

I was just wondering why you go for FV lvl 1 to increase the dmg of flamethrowers (Com doesnt have nuke yet and Rifle grenade is lvl 1 which means its +45dmg when he waits for you to FV), but then dont go for FV lvl 2 directly after it. If you dont follow it up with FV lvl 2 you can just get build mines lvl 2 first and plant 100% more mines.
  14. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Actually I end up with Mines 2, Build Mines 2. Then go into 2 FV.

Then depending on team composition max out mines or grab satchels.

Since the Demo is Easy Company only, 2 points in FV should be a very cheap 7 energy damage boost for about half your team, at the very least. As Niteshade might say:

"During Easy Company if you're not using Flamethrowers, you're doing it wrong".

Seriously it's one of the most efficient damage talents there is. Instead of doing about 60 damage a pop with my Flamethrower, I'll do 120. I can easily get 6 attacks on a FVed target before it goes away even in a shitty scenario. 360 damage times even just 4 players ends up with 1440 damage... for 7 energy. You're talking NUKE damage... for under a seventh of the cost. On a very spammable skill.

You don't need Max mines to dish out the heavy damage though. Using your FV more than makes up the difference. And having level 2 Fire Vulnerability will leave you in much better shape than having maxed out mines.
  15. HipHopDragon
    • Warden

HipHopDragon Warden

Maybe it should mention for which difficulty which build is made because that makes a huge difference if you want to get FV or more mines first.
  16. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

I typically go for maxed mines and then start on build mines. I always get it to at least level 2, and if I can I'll try to get it maxed before leaving epsilon. If not I'll start on fv so that I can have that maxed to double the team's dps at the starport (a good explo demo levels amazingly during scrap 'n wrap). I then finish mines if necessary and go on to armageddons. I never get satchels in EC just because you really can't do anything with them that you couldn't do with either mines or armageddons. The one possible exception being ely's eggs, but half the time I'm already to armageddons anyways. The other half we either have nukes (which with fv can pretty much take care of ely easily) or a high level of oh sock that can deal with ely while the rest of the team focuses eggs.
  17. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Yeah. It's a matter of team composition. Satchels aren't terrible. But they are limited and there are better things for the AoE Doom Role. Satchels only really have the advantage in having no cool down for additional spam ability. Part of the reason it's a Newbie Mode Rockstar talent as it's very easy to hog up a lot of XP with them. It's handy for covering cooldowns between Armageddons. Or if the enemy mobs just aren't heavy enough for you to consider it worth popping one.
  18. YetiSwarm
    • Donator

YetiSwarm Member

Nowadays, I always prioritize build mines over mine damage. Yeah the free mines are nice and back when cp meant something you could pay for most of your build mine points with the free mines, but now I'd rather be shitting out a lot of mines than doing barely anything after the freebies while I'm waiting for a few levels to actually matter again.

Mathematically, going 1 mines 3 build gets you 3 times the mines that do 1/2 the damage, which means more damage for the energy compared to 3 mines 1 build.

Also, fort demo - I always make sure I have at least 1 point in look by tart/eli, especially if your team is lacking in stuns. Back when sap existed (I don't even consider it to be on the command card anymore since it is 100% worthless) this wasn't necessary, but now it is definitely worthwhile.
  19. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Look! is always worthwhile.

I go 1 Mines, 1 Build, 2 Mines, 2 Build myself for the order. Pretty much for the exact sort of reasoning that Yeti listed.
  20. Ryan III

Edited a little, will work on synergy now.