Riot Shield Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Blaqk, May 12, 2012.

1. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

I've said it, what? Twice now? Should change Combat Knife to Shield Bash. Same damage and such, but now adds a 25% attack speed slow on those effected. Knockback is stupid because you can just punt things around, and on NM, it becomes actually less useful than the knife because things can just charge right on back into your face.
  2. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Though I will admit it'd be funny to see an Assault punting around Eos.
  3. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

That's actually going to be a thing that happens, but in a different way, what with the Assault rework.
  4. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Operations and Web

VALHALLA! HE'S COMING!
  5. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

_unt punt the Queen to victory
  6. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Yes, Lyanden, very clever. So anyways, finalized Riot Shield stats if nobody has an issue:

Flat 4 damage reduction on wearer.
    -2 Sight Range
    Combat Knife slows Attack Speed of afflicted enemy by 25% (potentially change name to Shield Bash)

Any major complaints to this?
  7. Emperor

Emperor New Member

As long knife still reduces movespeed.

Now I can finally stop taking a gagillion damage from Stalkers as Fort Demo.
  8. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

It will, don't worry. The attack speed slow is in addition to the movespeed slow. Shield bash, and all that.
  9. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

5 reduction is a bit too powerful. Its why I kept it on 4.
    And like I suggested, give a -1 or -2 vision debuff for shield
  10. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Fixed it.
  11. squish

squish Well-Known Member

or, if you wanna reduce trolltastic moments... have the riot shield just nullify ten hits and then "break". e.g. ten hits do _ZERO_ damage, and then riot shield is destroyed. from any angle. the lore behind this, is that if you hold a riot shield, it being a piece of military equipment, will sync to the suit immediately, and the suit will automate the arm holding it, and deflect all incoming attack vectors as long as it remains effective.
  12. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Going to have to respond to that concept with a flat-out "no". Taking hits is a major part of NOTD's design, and mitigating that entirely with a disposable item is not something I want to do under any circumstances.
  13. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Not to mention the shield would probably be some metallurgical advanced alloy that we cannot even imagine. It's not like we're Saxons with a glorified piece of bark.
  14. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Don't be so quick to put down wooden shields. Those things had their uses, like being used to trap the other guy's weapon and then being discarded, leaving your opponent unarmed. In a prolonged, multi-combatant engagement? Wooden shields aren't that great. For a one-on-one fight? I'll take a nice thick wooden shield any day.
  15. Ryan III

Ryan III Well-Known Member

Don't forget the Viking shield can be about 1 foot thick, which was why I suggested the shield bash, a viking shield can break you face.
  16. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Smiting Shield + Skill Required.

Them Smiters from D2 fucked with the baddest of bosses, and those Spartans knew how to kick ass with a shield.
  17. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

The Riot Shield upgrading the Combat Knife to "shield bash" is indeed a thing that is going to happen. Or should happen, anyways.