Riot Shield Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Blaqk, May 12, 2012.

1. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Hmm... Other than 1 Armor, -10% Attack Speed I'd guess that my last suggestion is actually the weakest incarnation of the Riot Shield suggested in this topic. Against anything but a Troll Slash it is barely as effective as a C2, which is generally seen as a trash item not worth the time to pick up. And that's considered too good.

The 1 Armor, -10% Attack Speed really only plays into one tree that is available on one storyline. I don't much like it, for reasons stated time and time again in this topic. It's strictly worse than an item that is already viewed as worthless for the most part, C2 Armor, and takes up a Mod Slot that could be used by much more useful items on pretty much everyone but the Assault Tank.

That said, a "Limit: 1 Stack" should probably apply to the Shield. Particularly if it ends up as something that ends up with more than just one spawn per game (I kinda laugh at the idea of a Protection Assault using 3 at once). But also if it actually ends up something a bit more useful in general than that.
  2. Emperor

Emperor New Member

Your suggestion actually works for Demo tank, IMO. I'd wear that.

And yeah, definitely no stacking Riot Shields. Me and Michael were already joking about that yesterday morning.

If the Knife Hotkey gets replaced by a Riot Shield specific action, it should be "Brace Yourself" or something which enforces whatever defenses it's going to get and penalize movespeed more while active.

I'll be honest though... I'd rather have my knife at all times, but if we can get both, yay.
  3. Archangel

Archangel Well-Known Member

3 hands!
  4. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

The lower horn...
  5. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

[​IMG]
  6. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

It's a veteran of the Lion War?
  7. Waves_Blade

Waves_Blade New Member

[​IMG]

?
  8. Thermidor

Thermidor Well-Known Member

This thread is off-topic...
  9. Lulz

Lulz Well-Known Member

I dont know if this has been suggested so far, as i have been away for a few days and just come back to see this interesting object, but it seems to me that it should effect shield armor more than your armor. what about +10 shields +1 shield armor? as to not overpower the bastard.
  10. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Halfway between the current one and what I proposed just a bit back. It's a bit better. In so far as there are three classes who can get some decent use out of it, Flamethrower, Demo, PF. Though making the PF "Tankier" is probably not a smart call. But at least that way regardless of storyline you at least have someone who can get some mileage out of it. Rifleman going for Silver Star, also an option. But with most classes having zero shield armor and relatively little shields it just doesn't seem as interesting.
  11. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

A point of shield armor is more powerful than you think it is when you consider the purpose of shields.
  12. Lulz

Lulz Well-Known Member

yes i agree and thought was put in about how the more and more shield armors we add the more op demo tanks become, but a point in regular armor just doesnt feel right here.
  13. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Its a piece of metal with a handle on it so you can use it to block. Why would it increase shields? Life armor is fine.
  14. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Well, unless the "Riot Shield" is actually something like a power module you hook up into your armor in order to effect shields.

Again tapping into my old nerd passions: Like the "Point Defense Shields" on the SDF-1 from Robotech. Instead of an omnidirectional barrier that handles all attacks from all directions equally effectively it was a much stronger barrier that was limited in size and had to be positioned to absorb attacks.

SDF-1 Crew must have had mad early 80s arcade skills, since the system was controlled by Track Balls.

Though yes, considering the image used for the Riot Shield in game it's hard not to think a hunk of metal wouldn't effect HP instead/as well.
  15. Lulz

Lulz Well-Known Member

it just seems like a first line of defense aka before your armor, like your shields. Idk thats the first impression i get from it
  16. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

It's not going to break and be discarded like the wooden shields of ye olden times. A metal (or metallic) shield is to be worn and used consistently to deflect blows. Granted, it's mounted on the shoulders of the players (which I have actually yet to see if there's a visual effect of equipping it), but turning one's bulwark of defense towards an attacker is something that can be done continuously.
  17. Ryan III

Ryan III Well-Known Member

Not metallic, it's carbon fiber or carbon something
  18. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Details. My point is that it's not intended to be something that you get your opponent's weapon stuck in and then discard immediately (which was indeed the reason that wooden shields were still used after steel ones were developed).
  19. HipHopDragon
    • Warden

HipHopDragon Warden

Wasnt it supposed to be against troll spawns?

that way a troll would hit you even harder, while the tank would get a free 50% dmg reduction from everything (how often are tanks hit from anything else than the from from enemys that count?). Because of the slow you would have to unequip it at times where you cant face tank but have to kite but thats not much of a task especially for such a huge reduction. And dont forget the RA, if its calculated before ra reduction wouldnt that reduce the dmg of every enemy in the game to 25? if its after RA is the new KA with 12,5dmg per hit (not talking about the situations where you could use KA instead of RA)
  20. squish

squish Well-Known Member

Another simple fix. make riot shield an armor. but looking back through the topic now, i see that my idea has been discussed, kicked across the field and discussed again. deleting my post now.