Riot Shield Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Blaqk, May 12, 2012.

1. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Operations and Web

Noticing a lot of banter about this item right now.

Currently, it's in game for testing. We don't intend for there to always be only one. It's not the Highlander.

We're currently toying with different damage reduction effects beyond just a bonus point of armor so what you see now is not set in stone. If you have a suggestion, please post it here.

2. Zuriel

Zuriel Well-Known Member

Only usable if holding certain weapons. Eg. Pistol, crowbar, flamer.

Has a chance of Bash (0.5 second) microstun if enemies hit it.
  3. Miracle
    • Development Team
    • Community Leader

Miracle NOTD Staff: Assistant of many things

What about reducing a percentage of damage from the front similar to Tartarus?
  4. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

Not hard, although classes units are very small, the game will have a hard time properly registering if the hit is the front or not. Also, splash based attacks like Slashers will never register as the "front" because they hit all around the unit.

Imo, it should just be attack speed loss and damage reduction. Adding armor, shields, regen, or whatever is going to favor one tank over another. Damage reduction helps any class, when getting hit by anything. Something like 10% damage reduction. Combined with taunts it could prove very powerful.
  5. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

I'll add the key points of what we've discussed so far into my first post.
  6. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

I'm still of the opinion that the attack speed slow should be dropped and the weight upped, but if we do keep the attack speed debuff, I suggest it not effecting the Crowbar, the Pistol, and the SMG, as they are all one-handed weapons.

I'm still in favor of the shield bash thing, but to simplify, just add a 35% attack speed slow debuff in addition to the Combat Knife's movement speed slow when the shield is equipped.
  7. Mirage
    • Donator

Mirage ಠ_ಠ What are you looking at?

Just make it call of duty like and give you immortality vs ranged units.

And the ability to survive a shiva.
  8. NunSei

NunSei New Member

Riot Shield
    10% damage reduction, -5% attack speed when using 2-handed weapons [all but pistol & cb], 15 weight [a shield is supposed to protect you sacrificing some mobility].
    When equiped it removes knife [as you can't use both at a time] & gives you another skill in its place-> "insert-skill-name-here": knocks enemies back in front of you (2 radius or so) dealing 30 damage (+1 per rank). Has a small chance to stun [maybe 10%]. 5 secs cooldown.
  9. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Just saying, a spammable knockback would be hilarious and broken. Yes, it's a 5 second cooldown, but you can effectively punt whatever gets in your way, kite away, turn around and do it again. It would make kiting most enemies depressingly easy.
  10. MSluiter

MSluiter Member

Pretty much everything is already tankable with the right armor so I’m not a fan of a “more armor” type of item that doesn’t have some sort of niche use or significant tradeoff.

I like the idea of one, or some combination of:
    -ailment resistance
    -Frontal damage decrease (but I think this should come with some sort of drawback. Ex. +1 frontal armor -2 rear armor.)
    -noticeable ms reduction when using.
    -attack speed reduction.
    -only usable with some weapons.
    -reduced vision when using.
    -replace knife with some sort of shield attack. (reduced “knife” attack speed but chance for ministun like shotty)
  11. NunSei

NunSei New Member

Maybe it can be made so the knockback part only affect light enemies such as zombies and ghouls, but devourers and roaches won't be so easy to humiliate & would still represent a threat. Or completely remove its AoE and make it that only affects single targets.
  12. Ryan III

Ryan III Well-Known Member

Shield Bash
  13. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

The intent of the item is to save you from trolldeaths, not to give you a new toy.
  14. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

That's actually in question for me. Look at some of the suggestions that we've thrown about actually suggests it's Troll Prevention and thus that Riot Shields should be used by classes that normally wouldn't stand a chance like the Recon, Marksman, Sex Ops, etc. Though Kith's original intention seemed to be "Give a Tank Only Enhancement other than NHA". Which should give it a very different effect. Is this supposed to be like Oculars where everyone can use one? Or is it like the PAR that basically goes to one designated user?
  15. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Should be an item that's useful for all.

To save you from troll deaths, the flat damage reduction is best. Parasites still stack venom just as fast per hit but at least their attack damage won't cause you to go from 100% to 10% in an instant.
  16. Ryan III

Ryan III Well-Known Member

But if we go with the knock back effect, it'll prevent any stacks from happening

If people think the knock back is OP, just make the knock back effect friendly fire and stun much like a short range throw gravity gun. This will make it a troll thing in the wrong hands and a anti troll weapon in the right hands.

Also make the knockback deal 10 damage because of the shield impact to your face (ouch)
  17. Mirage
    • Donator

Mirage ಠ_ಠ What are you looking at?

Everyone buy riot shields, troll slashers.
  18. Emperor

Emperor New Member

10% damage reduction.
    50% attack speed reduction for two handed weapons.
    5% attack speed reduction for one handed weapons.
    and like... ummm, a watchumacallit... That thing demo has that reflects damage, but only from the front, and only very little, and only from things smaller than roaches. (think of it as zombies breaking their faces and hands on your shield as they stupidly slap at you)
    And make it very heavy.

The idea is that it should be a super-rare tank tool thingum, for a 10% reduction. You should also be encouraged to manage your inventory by switching it on and off, this just makes sense... Plus already enforces that behavior to good tanks who switch from RA to their other armor depending on enemy.

A riot shield should really be a tank item and it should affect tankiness and DPSness enough to make it so. That is, tankier for less DPS, which makes sense.

It would be silly for a MM to be carrying around a riot shield and a barret and suddenly be able to tank a hit from slashers.

Never mind the fact that the 10% reduction would be COMPLETELY WASTED on a non-tank class, it just promotes lazy.

You're going to give 10% damage reduction to someone on the off chance they get hit and die, rather than to someone who for sure is going to get hit the entire game?

What. That's what C2's and C4's are for.

TL;DR: It doesn't make sense that other classes would be carrying a riot shield, so just make it a tank item.
  19. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Not entirely true. Damage < 1 does not count as a hit and wont stack an ailment. That means if you have an item with a flat 3 or more damage reduction and a C4, parasites will basically be negated altogether.
  20. NunSei

NunSei New Member

Why does it have to be a tank-item only? I understand what Emperor says about a MM carrying a shield, but I see no problem in a medic or other fragil class using it.

There are already enough tank only items; I'm ok if the shield is going to be 1 more, but it could be made so other classes can use it.

What if instead of damage reduction, it gives a chance to avoid all damage [below 30, so you can block hits from smallest zombies & it won't make a difference to the bigger ones], keeping the knock back skill or making it a shield bash which would be the same as the knife?
    The chance to avoid damage will work only on hp, not on shields.

That way, it won't be a game breaker for tanks [for assa it would be great at start, but with t3 he could give it to other class // demo is shield-based, no big difference // flamer & tech usually prefer KA or RA over CX armors, since in ac and sec are way more big enemies than in ec]... and it could be useful for any class to avoid getting too much hits from mobs.