Revamped Inventory System

Discussion in 'Archive' started by ArcanePariah, Feb 23, 2013.

1. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

The next patch is going to feature the revamped inventory system. The main upsides is that it will be far more responsive and more intuitive to use for new players. Vets will have to adjust, however most of the old behavior has been preserved. Below is a screenshot of the new inventory layout.

[attachment=2449]

Key points of the new inventory system

1) You can drag and drop. You can left click on any item and move it around in your inventory. You can right click on an item and drag it anywhere to drop it, in your inventory, on the ground or onto other players. The drawback to this is that simply clicking on an item will not be enough to drop it, you will have to target where you want it dropped. The max range you can drop an item from your character is 1. The main upside is that you can directly give items to other players, largely negating the need to drop items at all.

2) Old behavior is preserved. Clicking on an item in your equipment will drop the item into your inventory, or if inventory is full, on to the ground. Clicking on any modification item, weapon, or armor will automatically equip it. Currently modfication items will not "cycle" currently, so you will have to manually manage them somewhat if you wnat ot swap out a speciifc mod, as opposed to just clicking equip several times in rapid succession. Currently working on a way to replicate this effect.

3) Inventories are tied to the unit, not the player. This means inventories will always be viewable and multiple unit inventories will not overlap, only the selected unit inventory will display. This also means having shared control will also be less of a hassle.

4) Inventory is right centered. An unfortunete drawback is that inventory containers in Starcraft are hardcoded to be either left or right aligned, so we can not center it. This shouldn't prove to be too much of a problem, but it does lead to 1 issue, the current fram that displays tooltips for items and skill will cover over the inventory. We may flip the inventory around and place it on the left side to get around this issue

5) Most visual stacking bugs and other performance related efffects (items disappearing) should be resolved with this system. Currently there are 2 outstanding bugs that are still being worked on. Ammo boxes still stack, and also when you equip an ammo box, magazines will not be auto consolidated into them. However the drop magazine ability is now working properly again and you can rapidly equip and drop the magazines back into boxes. Also picked up mags will properly go into boxes, so you can just drop all your mags after getting a box and pick them all up again.

That's the main highlights. We will be looking for feedback over the coming week and make adjustments as we go. If the tooltop frame can not be moved and proves to be too much of a hassle, we will move the main inventory bar to the other side. Magazine consolidation should be solved by end of the weekend, and hopefully boxes stacking as well.
  2. TheWolf
    • Donator

TheWolf Surgeon of Death

The new inventory is pretty nice and feels a bit more natural than the old one. And since you can drop items now into others inventory, its easy to give the right guns to the right people (and stop ninjaing your precious barrets^^).
    Since i could already test it a bit i can say it makes the inventory organization a bit easier sicne you dont have to care for that equip n drop button anymore.

Overall i really like it, good job AP
  3. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Thanks AP.

Please let me know if you see any issues with this system. It may likely take several updates to refine.
  4. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Anyone has any trouble playing NOTD? I can't seem to get past loading screen when I played with others - tried on EU/NA server.
  5. TheWolf
    • Donator

TheWolf Surgeon of Death

No probs getting ingame on EU, but some players complain that there is a delay while switching items and that they sometimes need to click 3 times before it works. also it seems not todo any inventory action if you move to fast after ordering it.
    i had noone of these probs myself thou :/
  6. Yuey
    • Warden

Yuey Warden

There's definitely a command lag when you try to use an item sometimes. It just doesn't happen all the time. Also, picking up an AB when you have mags in your inventory does not stack the mags into the AB. You have to drop the mags then pick them up again to put them into the AB.

Wait..nevermind, saw you covered the bug in point 5, sorry. Caught not reading.
  7. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

Confirmed, the items are using the units command queue, so any orders issues fast enough will preempt the command and stop the switch, will fix.
  8. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

The buttons are also a bit sensitive - if your mouse moves when you left click, it doesn't 'use'. This happens more often when consuming mags. So the player needs to hold the mouse more steadily when fast-clicking.
  9. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

Correct, since the game will interpret a click as order to use item, and left click + drag as you moving the item in your inventory.
  10. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Any potential that we could limit inventory manipulation to right-click only?

Also, the shop is kind of horrendously broken.
  11. Zeriathyr

Zeriathyr Well-Known Member

Just got over 2 games with new inventory.. lets see..

1. You cannot directly open a leaver's equipment - you must open your own, then select the leaver's.
    - Leaver's equipment pic is the same as yours as well.

2. If you have 3 misc equipment slots, equipping a 4th by left click will swap only the last known item.

3. Hovering your mouse over the item will cause the dialogue box to completely cover the item pic. Can be terribly inconvenient when what you think is a medkit turns out to be a mag.

4. If inventory is full including an ammo box, you cannot pick up ammo by right-clicking (same as last time).
    - If you have mags in your inventory, they do not automatically add to ammo box if you pick up the box

Hope this is useful feedback
  12. MSluiter

MSluiter Member

Using an item or manipulating your inventory cancels your movement or actions
  13. HipHopDragon
    • Warden

HipHopDragon Warden

Just remove the drag and drop please, like abillity said its way to sensitiv.
    [hr]
    Bug:
    When your dead you cant see the inventory is non leavers.
    Bar can not be equiped by clicking it, you have to drop your weapon and pick it up.
  14. DryEagle

DryEagle New Member

A couple problems:
    - your inventory sometimes disappears until you click another marine and then click back on yourself. by 'disappears' i mean you see only the mini-class icon to open equipped stuff, but the backpack slots are not shown at all, not even as empty, just they aren't there (I was playing FO with minis, not sure if that affects it). Only happened 4-5 times in 80 minute game.
    - if you have ammobox and you press x,c to drop equipped mag, it goes into ammobox - meaning you can't drop ammo for someone without dropping the AB
  15. Niktos

Niktos Well-Known Member

Ragdoll bugs up, for me at least it`s just visual but looks silly.
  16. Scorpione

Scorpione Well-Known Member

if you have amgs then pick up ab it doesnt auto fill.
    lag delay stopping are extra annoying -.-
  17. Froblock

Froblock Well-Known Member

I'd rather the marine equipment stay at the same spot to the left of the inventory instead of the right. Makes for a lot of mouse movement just to change eqipment.

I'd suggest it to be the first item on the left like its always been and make the equipment pop up right on top of the marine button or slightly towards the left.
  18. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

I will see if I can remove the left click drag and drop, but it may not be possible, it may be tied directly to the inventory ability, so disable left click drag also disables left click which would make click to equip not work.

This is the same as the old inventory, I can change this if we want so that if you click on a leaver it opens both equipment and inventory

See point #2 in original post

See point #4 in original post

Yes, same behavior as old one, and I do not know a way around this

See point #5 in original post, will be fixed.

Yes, thank you

Confirmed, will be fixed next patch or 2

Barret is a bug, will fix

If I'm understanding you correctly, a dead player can not see the inventory of living player?

Correct, if you select a unit that has no inventory, it will not display one. I'll see if I can make it leave your own open until you select another hero marine

This is the original behavior and intended, plus with drag and drop, you can just directly give them your ammo box, they eat some, and give it back, no need to drop the box ever.

Confirmed, some models somehow react badly being placed in the model box in equipment. Will have to investigate.
    See point #5 in original post

See response to MSlutier

I'll play around and see if I can make the equipment icon be placed to the direct left of the leftmost slot, going to take some work, and was kind of hoping to avoid using more triggers for inventory manipulation.
  19. HipHopDragon
    • Warden

HipHopDragon Warden

correct
    [hr]
    What he means is that the inventory of a unit which should have one is not displayed. When i just played a zoo engi it happened several times that when selecting myslef my inventory was not shown.
  20. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

- All items are now transient. You can use them without stopping movement.
    - Fixed a bug with Barrett not equippable with inventory left-click