Restoring old models

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by rockz, Jun 26, 2017.

1. rockz
    • Donator

rockz Well-Known Member

Xienus submitted a change to restore the old models for NOTD. I put together a comparison so we can discuss on the forums rather than on github:

[​IMG]

My personal opinions:
    Old Commando - Warpig helmet is the same as the portrait and looks badass. New one is too black in my opinion and doesn't show colors well enough.
    New Marksman - Old marksman doesn't show colors well.
    Old or New Rifleman - I don't care on this.
    New Medic - He looks awesome IMO.
    Old FO - New FO has always looked dumpy to me with square and plain boots.
    Old or New Tech - after thinking this through, I prefer the old tech, but I can go either way. Not only is it still a viking on the selection screen, but the cockpit is square and matches Robomonkey's portrait. I've always hated the idiotic vent attachment and would prefer that gone.
  2. stanK

stanK Member

Just few remarks:
    1) New commando is more black, making it impossible to confuse with rifleman that bought red color.
    2) I never liked medic - not new, not old. It should be distinguishable from DPS, u need to know team positioning at a glance. IDK who the fuck decided that marine is a better model, but clearly those noobs fail in the readability department miserably.
    3) Shield fits viking much better than warhound, but I agree on fact that its overburdened with attachments. U know those little trail lights? Those are SCIENCE VESSELS. There are 2 fucking science vessels on each shoulder.
  3. rockz
    • Donator

rockz Well-Known Member

fuck that guy who bought red. Better fix is to remove the red and black color.
    medics are either white or blue and have a giant tower shield.
    I wouldn't be opposed to a viking rather than hel's angel.

Arguments for Viking:
    Badass
    Looks like a mishmash of parts, making it sturdy like a tank
    Class selection shows viking
    Against Viking:
    Fins to look ricer
    Dual gatling cannons why
    Portrait only sorta matches

Arguments for Warhound:
    looks like it was designed for some other purpose, not for fighting
    Looks like someone just threw on a gun, which is less ambiguous
    Portrait matches perfectly
    Against Warhound:
    God it's ugly
  4. stanK

stanK Member

Shield doesn't solve the problem. We have a perfect model for medic. Its medic from WOL campaign.
    Only reason we have to put up with this unreadable shit is cos some braindead player thought having a gun is more important than readability.
  5. ozzy

ozzy Member

the old commandr
    the new marksman
    the new rifleman
    the new mediq
  6. rockz
    • Donator

rockz Well-Known Member

What if we remove custom colors? How are you supposed to differentiate between the medic and the corpsmen?
  7. stanK

stanK Member

The same way we differentiate between rifle and mini marines.
    And no, we cant remove custom colors, u know that.
  8. rockz
    • Donator

rockz Well-Known Member

Poorly? I've nearly killed a rifleman when killing minis in alpha, but you don't seem to have a problem there.
  9. squish

squish Well-Known Member

If you've nearly killed a rifleman while killing minis, invest in glasses or stop playing. Minis are ~60% of the size of heroes.

Or even better: #2 rule of gun safety: Be sure of your target and what's behind it.
  10. rockz
    • Donator

rockz Well-Known Member

All it takes to kill a bad rifleman is a few p45 crit shots and beastling splash.

You can make minis look the same size as riflemen by having them further south. Glasses don't help me in this regard.
    [​IMG]

I don't like this sort of comparison because it's an issue with a comparative bias. You need to see the Marine and Rifleman next to each other or in close proximity to each other to differentiate between the two, or you need to pick out the minute details of the rifleman, which is what stank is complaining about. It's like playing someone a piece of music and then asking them if they think it was ever lossy compressed and which codec was used at which bitrate.
  11. stanK

stanK Member

Hahahaha!

But back to the point:
    1) Ill reiterate the main argument: Its about distinguishing classes at a glance. That's why blizzard made marauder big and fat. That's why ghost is thin and tall. So u look at the battlefield and don't play "find waldo". Medic model from WOL is distinguished, while rifle with shield IS SUPPOSED to look like rifle, as opposed to distinguishing from it.
    2) Claim that medic needs to be marine with shield cos of minis is a poor argument. Minis are considerably smaller. Having live corpsmen is rare, and we try to keep them alive.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  12. Xienus

Xienus New Member

i vote for old ones !
  13. squish

squish Well-Known Member

Another thing to consider is that the new models may have a slightly higher rendering cost to take into account that may not be present on older models. IMO all the new models can fuck off.

As far as medic, the new one is just meh, and I wish we could go back to Medic Voiceover as well, rather than Medevac.
  14. JohnyM

JohnyM Member

All old.
  15. Xienus

Xienus New Member

i could make it only for u bro
  16. Stereo
    • Development Team

Stereo Paper Boy

i feel like changes made for only 1 unique player is something that should be avoided

slippery slope
  17. stanK

stanK Member

The tragedy of FO:

1) This is what RoboMonkey was hoping for in his dreams
    fo1.jpg

2) This is what Blaqk *thought* he was doing
    fo2.jpg

3) This is what happened
    fo4.jpg
  18. old models plz
  19. johnblazed