Removing Easy Mode

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Ability, May 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Any violent objections to removing Easy Mode?

Rationale
    - We will be building a Boot Camp map within the next 3 months that will largely cover many game basics.
    - Consistent feedback that it is too boring and not representative of how NOTD is played
  2. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Adding to the Rationale, it's by far the least accessed command/feature of NOTD. You're more apt to see people use -a or Road Flares than you are to see someone actually access Easy Mode. I've never seen more than 2 people in the course of my playing that actually used it.

As far as the Amount of Code involved vs the Rewards in Game (Fun, amount of use, purpose, etc), it's by far the worst thing I've ever been aware of.

I've even seen -vnm used far more often than -em.
  3. TuRKeYMaN

TuRKeYMaN Member

No objections, welcoming the move.
  4. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Just remove it.

At a point in time, it was the easiest way to do Credit runs, back when you could easily top off @ 500 by wave 30 in a 2~3 man game. Was just easy earnings, sans Superior Service medal, but that was pointless anyways after it reached level 3.

Newbies do not even know it exists, and it serves little to no purpose. Apparently, Public Games aren't "fun" enough, so Easy Mode certainly has no entertainment value, and as such, playing value.
  5. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

If we remove Easy Mode, can we put in Super Nightmare, where the enemies have Shadowstep instead of Charge? I'd love to see that.
  6. Emperor

Emperor New Member

Do it. It's not like any new players actually know the -em command.
  7. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

The only reason I ever activate -em is for the laugh audio.
    Never seen anyone genuinely playing it.
  8. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Okay. Easy Mode will be removed in next patch.
  9. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Operations and Web

10. Thermidor

Thermidor Well-Known Member

Nitemare Mode
  11. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Meh. Enemies aren't shadowstepping, no challenge.
  12. Thermidor

Hey, so 300% increase of all enemy health, no rare weps, all hits give OW, higher chances of ailments, forced exped and both auto and manual reloads are much longer isn't a challenge? What kind of God are you?!?

On topic: Easy mode removal is a move I completely agree with because it's hardly ever played and there was never a text command telling new players about -em. Pretty much what all others have said.
  13. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

It's not about the weapons, Therm. Its all about the skills. And I'm not talking about the Wrathfinder, either. Mono, Demo Mines, Osok... there's all kinds of stuff that can be used to make Nitemare Mode doable. Stunlock the bosses because they can't be tanked and stay on the move because camping is for chumps.

The only really difficult part would be EC Muta, in which your Arms Assault equips the Heli Shotgun and goes to town, or you kite like bastards and have your commando leave a trail of breadcrumbs nukes un your wake.
  14. Hades

Hades Member

i thought pub was by default -em. Does this also cover -sq: difficulty : recruit?
    as in if theres more then a few <500 xp = -sq: difficulty bootcamp ?

ideally gief drill instructor ribbons then vets will have tons of incentive to teach noobs. (dont let the noobs die, and gain a medal)
  15. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Hades, -em was an optional mode that made the game even easier and more boring. It was never really advertised and incredibly unused. Recruit mode will remain as the default mode for new players. "Boot camp" will exist separately for players who wish to better themselves. Think of it as StarCraft Master for NOTD, if you must.
  16. Thermidor

What did I just read?

-em used to trigger Easy Mode. Recruit mode is the default one if any player less than 500xp is in the game.

Dammit, Blaqk beat me to it
  17. ProbeGst

ProbeGst Well-Known Member

new mode nitemare but
    -requirement only need 10k exp
    +all shadow stepping and common zombies replaced with Technican and MM
    that's 600% more hp and ow every hit :D
  18. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Getting too silly and too off topic. Reel it in, crazies.
  19. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

That and a double/triple tap from 300 hp mutalisks will give you ow stacks at insane rates.
  20. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Or a taunting Demotank could pop Time to Die and lead the mutas into the grinder. But that's all speculation anyways.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.