Implemented Reloading!

Discussion in 'NOTD 2 Discussion' started by Kith, Jan 30, 2015.

?

What hotkey do you want Reload to use?

1. T

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. R

14 vote(s)
    70.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

VOTE FOR A HOTKEY
    Mandatory Youtube Link

Okay. Number one complaint from new players about NOTD 2 is that the Reload hotkey is T, not R. And honestly, I see no reason to not change it.

Reload and whatever abilities currently have the hotkey of R can be swapped, and Reload being R just feels better in general. However, because of NOTD's legacy, there's a good chance that people will obtain the upset over changing Reload to R, so I'm going to toss up a poll to see what ye olde forume goeres think.

The results of the vote will influence my decision, although to what measure I cannot say - that will ultimately depend on how many votes and how much discussion happens.

A decision will be made by Feburary 10th. Hop to it if you care.
  2. AlbertW[RCDF

AlbertW[RCDF New Member

Just make it R, seriously. T is ridiculous, NOTD 2 is already changing everything, might as well change what is not part of common sense. Make it R, and... Yeah, make it R. No poll, just do it.

Joke, do the poll, still, R.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Cerhez

Cerhez Well-Known Member

And when notd was started did everyone argument about the T reload.....
  4. Kataract

Kataract New Member

considering that R is the standard for games with ammunition now, I would greatly suggest that you take the time to redo the UX related to playing computer piano and give standard actions more mnemonic hotkeys in general
  5. squish

squish Well-Known Member

Don't fix what ain't broke. Or, better yet, implement key profiles allowing users to set their own damn keybinds. This isn't console.
  6. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Obviously something is wrong when such a large portion of people ask for something to be changed to follow common sense. Anyone can set their own hotkeys through options, and will have plenty of time to do so in the tutorial mode if they so choose.
  7. EdowardoLMP

EdowardoLMP Well-Known Member

Should have done it since NOTD1 (given u said it's common sense)... I'm still sticking to universal reload for R, but got so used to T for NOTD1, it feels meh to change.
  8. Yuey
    • Warden

Yuey Warden

R as the hotkey for reload makes more sense anyway but rebindable keys would be gud to have. Anyway, if you played enough FPSes, R as reload should be pretty easy to pick back up again.
  9. i got so used to T and to having a powerful ability at my R (damn you mobas) but i can get used to R if it gets implemented
  10. stanK

stanK Member

I'm voting R just cos its a little easier to reach.
    Also i remember when i started playing notd1 pressing T instead of R for reloads wasn't as intuitive as it should be.
  11. squish

squish Well-Known Member

What "common sense"? Night of the Dead is its own game. Always has been. It's important to keep some aspects of the game as far as continuity goes. Spirit of the game and all that.
  12. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

I don't want to sound preachy and all, but I think it is better to express that "Spirit of the game" through actual gameplay rather than bad controls. Some games aren't all that hard aside from the fact that their controls suck. You don't need to make Night of the Dead lean towards that category.

If it is really going to split players, then simply make two sets of key-binds, with a check-box that would switch to the second set of key-binds. For example, 'r' could be the default but checking the box would set the hotkey to be 't' instead of 'r'. Then you don't have to run contrarily to most other games.
  13. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Well, so far it's not much of a split, so I'm not that worried about it.
  14. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Operations and Web

I wont like it, but it's the right thing to do.
  15. Tantric Vigilante

Tantric Vigilante Localboid Cultist

Does spacebar do anything? Ive already switched to that under the hotkey setting.
  16. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Spess centers the camera on whatever most recent event is/was. We want to make it center the camera on your character as Heroes of the Storm and League of Legends and some other games do, but currently doing so does not seem very feasible.
  17. Stereo
    • Development Team

Stereo Paper Boy

What happens when you auto-reload.

18. EdowardoLMP

EdowardoLMP Well-Known Member

I'm guessing u are saying the pistol right ?
  19. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

And so, with twice as many votes and no good reason not to, R wins the Reload hotkey race.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.