Recruit Mode Nydus Mission

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Blaqk, May 10, 2012.

1. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

An idea: instead of experience, make them give large amounts of in-game exp, and only to those in a 15 radius of them when they die. This means that to get the full benefit, the whole team has to go to the worm and kill it.
  2. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

They already grant decent exp to the killer, and also by the time you are doing nydus, some have reach T3, most others are getting close, and the mobs + mutas usually bump most people to T3. So at that point the bonus exp has got to be a TON to justify not just sending the usual candidates to solo the worms.
  3. Emperor

Emperor New Member

I like it, even if I'm the only one who seems to do it.
  4. ProbeGst

ProbeGst Well-Known Member

better share it or team always sent demo/mm out to get exp for tier 3 :p
  5. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

Right, the idea is that anyone who is within 15 range of the nydus worm when it dies gains X experience (should be a pretty sizable amount, a good 1/4 of the way from level 8 to 9 for each worm). You don't get more experience for soloing the worm. It's a surefire way to get people out to go after the worms, as half a level for both is a pretty massive bonus and will put just about everyone who goes after the worms up to T3.
  6. MSluiter

MSluiter Member

Ok. After some testing, I am really disliking the Recruit Nydus Worm Mission in its current form. I think it’s doing more harm than good, and here is why.
    First
    Spawns are different in Recruit. They are largely made up of Zombies, Infested Terrans, and Agrons. In Normal+ there are really only zombies, parasites and very few Infested Terrans for the first few minutes. The spawns actually seem heavier in Recruit than in Normal+.
    Second
    There is more time in Normal+. In Normal+, spawns don’t really pick up for several minutes. But, in Recruit you have a much shorter time and the same spawns (Including lots of Agrons and Infested Terrans) the entire time.
    Third
    It is teaching bad habits. The goal of this is to teach new players that there are Nydus worms in Normal+ that need to be killed. In Recruit there is no penalty. In harder modes, you are going to get raped by mass Slashers if you don’t kill the worms.

*Edit
    Have 1 worm in a fixed, easy to kill location like the centeral square that will spawn 3 slashers durring the muta wave if not killed and then auto die on chapter 2.
  7. ProbeGst

I disagree to put slashers in ec because new players will try to tank it.
    remember that "new ones" think it's only doing 16 dmg:/
  8. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

It's been a year and a half of this discussion. Ever since Slashers first appeared in Recruit from the mineshaft nydus, people have complained. For starters, they shouldnt one hit kill, there's an attack delay error in their weapon, so they double hit. Anyways, because of their ability to create "cheap deaths" and instant kill players, everyone has always wanted Devourers. Devourers hit hard, and the baneling could potentially kill a player. But, they are slower, weaker, with less armor than slashers, and are much better as "Training Slashers" to teach players not to get hit, ever, by certain enemies. However, every single time this discussion comes up, Ability shoots it down or just ignores it. So, the fact of life is just get used to Slashers in recruit, warn people beforehand, and dont get angry when they dont listen and die horribly.
  9. Ryan III

Ryan III Well-Known Member

Slashers have good reasons to be in EC
    1. They give good in game experience
    2. They are deadly under engineer control
    3. Punish players who don't listen to you/veterans.
  10. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

I think Agron Spam is the better answer. If each worm spawns Agrons, well, that can really suck for a newbie team. There is no instant GG because Slashers one shot. ANd Agrons plus Gargoyles is actually a really deadly combination. But it's not instantly screwed forever.
  11. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

With sufficient firepower, you could just farm the fuck out of that.
  12. MSluiter

MSluiter Member

I was thinking have only the 3 Slashers spawn from the single worm unlike other modes where they continue to spawn. I’m not opposed to substituting some other spawn for Slashers. If you subbed something like Stalkers for Slashers, You could have the worm constant spawn like in a real game and it would still be dangerous enough to warrant killing it beforehand.
    Also, if you limit it to 1 worm in a fairly easy to reach location, whatever spawns shouldn’t be a problem because hopefully the worm will be killed beforehand.
    As far as farming, I’m not sure it’s really even worth farming. People already have their tier 3. I mean you don’t really see people farming Dome D.
  13. Emperor

Emperor New Member

Slashers, Stalkers and Gargoyles are your best bet if you want people to leave EC Muta. These three are sufficiently annoying enough that people would leave EC Muta to kill worms. Devs would probably give too much XP. Agrons are too farmable given at least one competent player.

Two worms spawning a Stalker every like... 5 seconds, and the other generic stuff at regular intervals would be annoying.

Especially if they lasted a little after Muta wave to Ere 2.

As it is now, I almost always do worms, but it's only really because I get bored at EC Muta.
  14. ProbeGst

suggestion for trolling: make them emmiting a psionic power which make them ignoring % of the damage.