Ratings and You: An Incentive Proposal

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Kith, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

So I’ve been examining rating lately. What it does for the player, why should players be encouraged to keep a high rating, and so on. Really, as of right now, there is no reason to maintain a high rating other than to show your skill at NOTD. A high rating increases spawn rates, enemy health, and lowers player life count. From an objective standpoint, there is no reason to maintain a high rating because all it does is make the game harder. Indeed, some teams drop rating on purpose to make for easier games.

In NOTD:AM, having a higher rating meant reduced maximum hitpoints, but increased damage, attack speed, and movespeed. It gave you a better platform to kite with, but you couldn’t take as many hits. This was okay, because if you were a high rating player, you were skilled, so you could avoid hits. In NOTD:SCII, we can’t do that across the board, because that means our Tanks get screwed because they have less hitpoints, and we can’t increase weapon damage because that will massively buff Weapon Mods.

So I’ve come up with an incentive to maintain a high rating that works for all classes across the board. The system would work as follows:

1900 Rating
    Players gain 1 additional point in stats that they have at least 5 points in.

2000 Rating
    Players gain 1 additional point in stats that they have at least 7 points in (stacks with the 1900 bonus).

The rating bonus would allow players to have more than 9 points in stats (for a total of 11 possible points if they maintain a 2000 rating). The bonus points would function just like the normal points do, in that they won’t give any more or less of a bonus than a regular point would.

What would this accomplish? Well, it would make maintaining a decent rating a lot more desirable. Tanking rating to make the game easier would no longer be as popular as it is now. It would also create a personalized bonus tailored to the player’s style as opposed to the same bonus for all classes.

Keep in mind, the bonus stats from rating would be applied at the beginning of the game, meaning that if your rating dips below 1900 or 2000 due to hits taken or mission delay in the middle of the game, you will still retain your bonuses. Zombies will not be able to hit you so hard they knock the stat points off of you.

So, there’s the pitch. Questions? Comments?
  2. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

I smell stat bugs out the ass.
  3. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Suck less at being constructive.
  4. Mirage
    • Donator

Mirage ಠ_ಠ What are you looking at?

Not possible.

Also why not just make rating apply a specific buff, depending on what class you currently are; for non-tanks it does what is previously stated, and for tanks it inverts those stats (So more health?) or something of that like?
  5. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Considering most Tanks also have a caster or pure DPS type tree, or at least a non-tanky one, I wouldn't like that solution.

Stats would be nice. Though I do fear for the bug potential. But barring that, it would be nice to see.

In full disclosure I'm not in favor of any rating bonuses because I have it. In fact due to my schedule meaning I usually am doing Midnight-Early Morning pub scrub runs, it's kinda low, hovering around 1850 or so usually. The limitation of my skill and dealing with poor teams I suppose.

What comes to mind as an alternate idea, should stats be too troublesome to do, particularly over 9, is a simple Credits boost. Have something like 10% and 20% extra credit gain for the ratings bonus. Keeping a high rating long term means faster credits, meaning quickly weapon mods, items for hard runs, etc. Seems right. And it doesn't screw anyone over with "Bonuses" they may not necessarily want.
  6. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

AAAAACTUALLY, it is. I checked before I made this proposal.
  7. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

I wouldn't specifically say at those 100 break points, but rather something like 1850, 1950, or 1875 / 1975.
  8. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

I would. 2 additional stat points is a pretty sweet bonus, so I think it should be restricted to 2000 only. Besides, 1900 gives plenty of elbow room once you hit that point. You have 99 points of rating to gain as a buffer before you lose the 1900 bonus.
  9. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

I want back overkill rating. Nothing higher than 2k should factor into sr. But rating should be uncapped.
  10. Mirage
    • Donator

Mirage ಠ_ಠ What are you looking at?

Check what I was referring to.
  11. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

In which case you should keep such comments to yourself. Niteshade has contributed (and continues to contribute) a great deal to NOTD. His criticisms always have merit, and I was picking at him in a friendly manner. If all he can say about a proposal is that there's potential for bugs, then that's a good thing. And even in the situation where I was being dead serious and he and I were having a heated disagreement?

It's not your place to make such snide comments. If you believe there's an issue, report it and move on.
  12. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

While its interesting idea of proposal (stat boosting), maybe something like a general buff would be good.

i.e. +5 Life & Shields & Energy & 0.025 move speed boost (Double it for perfect rating)

Heck, the idea of Time Scale could be interesting (2.5% / 5% Accelerated Time).

Maybe starting with an Extra Ammo Clip Stack, or Ocular.

There are many things you can do instead of just modifying stats.
  13. Shooz
    • Donator

Shooz NOTD Staff: Killjoy

In regards to this. Mirage, you are not employed by Blueberry Entertainment and should not think of yourself as higher than the employees of the company. In example, stop being a condescending prick. Your "generosity" or "help" can be replaced just as easily as you can.

Learn to show some respect to the members of this forum before you are shut out of it. You will be banned for consistent complaints regarding your behavior while posting on topics leading to fights with other members.

You will not escape the law here Mirage and you will not escape me enforcing it. Learn to follow the rules or you can get the fuck out.

On another note. Kithrixx your job is not to bicker with members of this forum. As a Blueberry Entertainment employee, you should focus on your duties.
  14. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

"A general buff" is, quite frankly, fucking boring. I'm tired of the same thing being given to all classes when they reach certain milestones. Extra ammo wouldn't be nearly as useful on support classes. A spare occular would be neat, but it would take up an accessory slot, and quickly be discarded for something better.

The bottom line is that the stat bonus proposal means that you can have a unique bonus that is useful to you in whatever way you want it to be, therefore promoting customization and making a single update to the system effective for all players.
  15. Seeky

Seeky New Member

Does the stat buff allow stats to go above 9? Would be kinda gay to have tanks with 11STR and 11 END
  16. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

No, because only one tank directly relies on HP (Tech). Every other tank relies on a different mechanic to tank well. Demo is shields, Assault is passive armor, Flamer is active skills into armor. And even the tech tank will not benefit that much more, given how high his HP goes with MotM. About the only stat that MIGHT warrant rebalancing for over 9 is the % chance for double talent given by Intelligence.
  17. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Also, considering that there would only be 26 maximum HP increase with a .0702 increase in health regeneration? I would hardly call the Ranking bonus "gay". Incidentally, watch your language before you offend someone.

Nope. Bonus Stats retain the same effects as standard stats. Better incentive to keep your rating up.
  18. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

Alrighty, makes sense, hence the "might". To be honest, this is probably the best incentive, mainly because none of the stats are remotely game breaking, but are still helpful.
  19. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Exactly. And it also caters specifically to what the player needs as opposed to a flat bonus such as +20 shields.

Not to say such a bonus is not useful, but it is not something that I would prefer on every class.