Rating and skill

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Kith, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

There are esssentially two camps involving high rating:

Camp A, who like the bonuses and think that they are good rewards to players who play hard.

Camp B, who dislike the bonuses and think that they're handouts to vets for simply playing a long time.

While I personally subscribe to the former, I will admit that the latter has something of a point. That said, I'd like to suggest something to please both camps:

Rating grants a bonus to manual reload, but a penalty to automatic reload.

Something like 2.5%/5% per "rating tier". I dunno. Roughly in that area. I'm just pitching the ideas, we can hammer out the particulars with discussion.
  2. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

I also go with Camp A, but camp B is right mainly because the bonuses directly increase your ability to get rating, creating a snowball effect. It doesn't build as fast, but once you clear 10k with more then 5 medals, it does show up.

As for the tradeoff that makes rating reinforce good play and punish bad play... Seems interesting, certainly forces high rating players to pay attention in order to still do well, and when they do, they do better then before. On the other, and maybe this is a good thing, it makes being high rating in any game mode serious business, so having a relaxing game may become difficult.
  3. Shooz
    • Donator

Shooz NOTD Staff: Killjoy

I really like this idea. This is one of your better ones Charles.
  4. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

While they do directly improve your chances of surviving and getting better rating, that's only if you use said bonuses properly. Considering that lower rating grants extra lives I really don't think that Camp B has much of a point considering that rating will, quite literally, always be working in your favor. It's just that the higher level of bonuses require more skill to utilize whereas the lower level bonuses are passive and therefore more newbie-friendly.
  5. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

True, but the main thing is that if you play at Skill level X, and that is enough to get the first round of bonuses, you can can with the same exact same skill level and you will steadily be more effective, regardless if you improve or not. It lowers (but not a lot) the skill threshold for a few different things. Higher rating = faster movespeed = more effective kiting, no matter how effective I was before at it. Larger XP = more stats = easier resource usage and no longer require certain items (CMA, Therms) and my DPS goes up (Crits/Reload Times/Bonus Energy), leading to more kills/easier play through overall.
  6. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

I really don't see an issue trading a passive bonus for an active one, I.E., extra lives will save you no matter what you do, but a higher movespeed will save you only if you use it.

Either way, like I said, this suggestion is designed to appeal to both camps.