Questions and Suggestions.

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Shooz, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Reaper

Reaper Moderator/The Crimsonrine

Only 2 when Easy Company gets 6? :huh:
  2. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

You know how many RA/KA/XS and other heavy guns EC gets compared to Sec? A lot fewer.

Different story, different balance
  3. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

Are these currently up to date/implemented in game?
    I noticed the Slashers specifically don't have their "crown of banelings".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[HR]
    [HR]
    [HR]
    [HR]

Also,

I don't really want to clutter up Peer's laser rifle rework thread as the current discussion there is with regards to energy + ammo expenditure on a really fast attack speed weapon to replace the laser rifle/added to the game (whichever is decided on) so I'll add this here.

Instead of doing away with the bonus damage per point of target armor, how about we emphasize it with another gun?
    I am not really comfortable with removing the laser and its very unique (in NOTD anyway) -1 armor reduction attack from the game.

It has a lesson to teach the new players (that armor plays many significant roles in this game, and are sometimes very different from vanilla SC2) NOTD is quite the complex game,

New players, while slow to learn it, eventually do notice the -1 armor reduction on the gun.

(really high attack speed whose damage per shot that you can't really guage + slow projectile speed sometimes makes the weapon's actual damage/effects even more vague to the untrained eye
    vs what I am about to propose in a little bit)

To make it easier/faster to understand this concept, why not go for broke on it and instead of giving the newbies multiple shades of grey to analyze go with plain black or white.

I'm thinking something really big (storyline says it's experimental) which makes it not-so-optimized
    and hence heavy
    and unwieldy
    and deals a LOT of damage per target armor with a dismal rate of fire

Think those anti tank emplacements in Company of Heroes if you played it.
    Stupid against infantry as they rarely ever hit but extremely effective vs vehicles.

Not so realistic because any cannon should help immensely vs infantry, especially when they're right in front of a heavy panzer, but it gets the point across quite efficiently;
    "This gun is intended for thick targets".

The numbers below are very rough, but they should give a general idea of what I'm trying to get at.

[HR]
    [HR]
    [HR]
    [HR]

[​IMG]
    yes that's a pic of the bfg (doom)

Weapon Name: AER138 Laser Rifle
    Ammo Consumption: 5 per shot (alternatively 1 per shot, 20 energy)
    Item Rarity: Epic (replaces the 2 at lab)
    *Yamato Cannon SFX?*

[HR]
    [HR]
    [HR]
    [HR]

Base Damage: 15 (Foe),
    15 (Ally)
    Armor Reduction: -20, maybe even -30 if attack speed is reduced to 4
    Attack Speed: 2.5
    Splash Radius: 0.5
    Range: 12
    Reload: 0.5
    Equip Time: 2.0
    Weapon Weight: 20
    Targets: Air & Ground
    *Slow rate of fire + low base damage = not conducive for damage increasing skills/items*
    May need to be a manual fire weapon like the L3 (attack is actually an ability) so as to be unaffected by fire rate modifying abilities.

Or maybe even use Peera's autocast code so it can auto fire but be immune to adrenaline/quickaim/rapid fire etc

[HR]
    [HR]
    [HR]
    [HR]

Damage Modifiers
    Versus Biological: +0
    Versus Light: -10
    Versus Armored: +55
    Versus Massive: +0
    Versus Psionic: +0
    Versus Heroic: +0
    Versus Mechanical: +0
    Versus Structure: +0

(heavy ass manually wielded slow rate of fire gun unable to properly hit small/fast/flying targets? yes)

[HR]
    [HR]
    [HR]
    [HR]

Players will find this gun barely workable vs the normal rank and file zombies and gargoyles
    and increasingly effective vs targets with armor that are not "light"

(Stalker 90 < Agron 130 < Hulk 220 < Erebos 240 < Slasher 310, Eos 470)

Each of which you have to manually target to fire at with a relatively slow firing gun (so hulk waves will still be hulk waves)

Erebos is a bit of a non-factor as though if the gun will not pop up till after his sequence

[HR]
    [HR]
    [HR]
    [HR]

Additional Notes
    In EC Company, should only be found in the laboratory after triggering the doc. No random drops as these should only exist in the late game for recruit.

Obviously, I don't want this to be another "for the DPS classes only" weapon from being unaffected by attackspeed increasing abilities.

You're a medic/recon/field engy/delta mando?
    Here, have a gun you can help us deal with the big targets with when you have down time (and allows you to last hit targets with more ease to help you get kills among the killwhores).

No you still cannot rambo with this gun, fast stuff will rape you.
  4. Reaper

Really? You don't even need all those in Easy Company while in the Apollo Security Team you got hard hitting creeps and you need hard hitting weapons and protection to deal with them. But in Sec Team, those items (RA/KA/XS), you always find 2 of each and perhaps even more if your lucky.
  5. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

You just proved me right by agreeing that different story = different balance.
    If you want more than 2 shotguns, there's a shop. Otherwise, enjoy the many extra stingers and what nots.
  6. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Are shotguns even really THAT useful in Apollo Security Team? I tend not to like the shotgun myself due to weight and infested marines outranging you. Not to mention the weird tendency for Shotgun use to make you step forward randomly.

So I'm not a big shotgun user anyway. Least not in Apollo Security Team. Generally only ever really use 'em in Easy Company. Even in Alpha I tend not to use them because, other than the Lab Rats holdout, most everything dies before it gets in good shotgunning range anyway.
  7. Reaper

WTH? A place that needs a crowd control weapon doesn't have it... and places that don't have it all over the place...

How is it that a Security Team, and you can go take a look at any Security Response Group to even the Police, they all have shotguns for crowd control and yet... ours has rocket and grenade launchers for all. :dodgy: The future sure is looking strange to me...

There ArcturusV, its about taste since I love it and will use it whenever I get it regardless of what I'm playing whether Technician or even to Recon, I use it and to great effect even if it is in the STINGER AND GRENADE LAUNCHER RULED APOLLO SECURITY TEAM.

But whatever, ol Reaper is just a drama queen...
  8. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

I like shotguns being fairly rare, honestly. They're powerful as hell.
  9. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Bump

-
    Also, MM Scope range still needs to be revised down
  10. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

Scope was already revised down. It current extends out to 14 range.
  11. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

OK, was checking the tooltip on X over weekend and still said 6, that resolved?

Comm Tower for Ability :p
  12. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

Yeah, Tooltip was updated (at least I thought I did, will check in game).
  13. Reaper

Just an idea but variant Critical Strikes

The 3 Critical Strikes belong to the Rifleman, Assault and Marksman

Say when the Rifleman lands a Critical Strike it slows the target in either movespeed or attackspeed (or both) by a small amount which is stackable.

The Assault makes heavy use of Critical Strikes and adding anything to his would just be insane so this can stay standard.

For the Marksman he deals more than double damage when he lands a critical as he is a sharpshooter.

Rifleman - Crit with a slow
    Assault - Normal
    Marksman - More critical damage
  14. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Rifleman is about to get an easily accessible disable with Crippling Fire, so his Crits don't need buffed. SubMM dealing more crit damage would lead to some... interesting numbers.
  15. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Since the changes to MM, SubMM outperforms AMM against most bosses even, buffing that further I don't think would be a good idea.
  16. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

So, why exactly does the Team Location button work for only half of the team on anything harder than Recruit? I mean, yeah, harder difficulty and ect, but considering that it costs energy and has a cooldown as opposed to the old -tl, I'd like to see this work 100% of the time. It's annoying that it doesn't.
  17. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

That was fixed a long time ago where you had to use x+q 3x for it to ping locations. Has that made a return?

It is intended however that it only shows numbers within the range you can see
  18. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

I don't know if it's made a return, but if I'm using something that costs energy and has a cooldown, it had better work 100% of the time. I think it's incredibly silly that it doesn't ping all teammembers. Yeah, communication and all that, but when I need to check where someone is I want it to function. UA3 has a team location function that works 100% of the time, and I don't see why we can't have one either. It's not like we're granting permanent location vision of all players, nor are we sharing sight.
  19. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

I see, so it does work when you used it, but not like you expect it to?

I.e., if you use it, it will at least show your own number 100% of the time? (Means working as intended)

I do believe there was a good reason for it to not ping everyone regardless of where they are on the map and whether you can see them.
  20. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

It's like that right now because tl gives total team awareness (without vision) for a very low cost. In vet games, it increases the risks of straying alone vs moving in groups/pairs.