Questions and Suggestions.

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Shooz, Feb 5, 2012.

1. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Or rather the incentive I've seen out of most of the last few new forum members to post is:

"rawrblegarbleadkljdaffacesmashrageblarglehate You ruined something I liked/made the game impossible for the only tactic I ever use!"
  2. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

There's a reason for that. I have 57 conversations gathering feedback from the community about the community. Here's an excerpt.

It's not so much that we hold discussion here before moving it into public view as much as it is that, when we do move it into public view, we see fit to gun down anyone who disagrees with the consensus we have reached. Take the Player Incentives nonsense as an example. Five fucking percent turned into a big deal because we allowed it to. When MSluiter made his silly post, we (mostly me) should have just handled it in a way that disarmed his fears instead of antagonizing him which ended up with him resorting to blatant name-calling.

The reason the community is deteriorating is a result of an already soured and apathetic leadership that is fostering animosity instead of growth. Plain and simple.
  3. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

Thats no ones fault but the individuals. You have no reason to complain when you put forth nothing to discussion. Similarly, you have no right to complain when you cannot put together decent points of debate and defend them logically like a reasonable human being..
  4. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Actually, let me be honest. There are a lot of people on this forum that I think are straight idiots. I do, however, have the foresight and consideration to keep my opinions behind closed doors where it doesn't damage the game.
  5. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Yeah, but the proper response to that is to point out how they're not helping their case and move on. So far we've managed to respond with sarcasm and antagonism. We've basically turned ourselves into schoolyard bullies, except instead of flaunting our early puberty we're flaunting superior debate skills.
  6. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Though if we're talking about community issues... One that keeps popping up in my mind (Possibly just because the hours I do get to play typically mean Public Lobbies are the only thing around), is the tendency for "Vets" to troll newbies. And it's seen as acceptable, sometimes even applauded, behavior.

I know some people refer to "Troll Newbie" as "I'm going to FortDemo and laugh at the difficulty as I practically solo everything". I also know that just as often (If not more so), it means telling newbies false information and blatant lies to get them killed, trying to trigger things in ways you know are likely to result in bad times (Activate Brainbug/Trollvae and ditch so they roam the map and mess up someone who doesn't know better), sometimes blatant TKing. And even when it's not TKing just fucking around with others in a way that generally isn't conductive to Cooperate Play and helping newbies have a good time with the game (see: Troll Force Pushing and shit).

I get frustrated with it. I know there's not really much that can happen about it. But I see that as a bigger issue for the Community than "Someone got angry because they were Noped on the Forum". Not saying civility and decorum isn't important. Just not as much. But eh. We can't really do much about it other than taking the individual steps to show that it's not something that should be encouraged, or even allowed.

As is? When I'm doing late night Pubbing I get some trolling "vets" in about every 4th or 5th game. So 20-25% of the Newbies (at that time) are sitting there thinking that this game sucks and is played by assholes who are trying to get them killed and then laughing at them.

That can't be good in the long run. Maybe I should go Marloe and start TKing people, though more for being Scumbag Vets trolling Newbies instead of Hacking.
  7. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Right. Those of us in the spotlight and any "veteran" player in general need to realize that, as a player put it, we are ambassadors of NOTD and represent the game itself.
  8. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

I've always been that way. Go dig through 3000 old forum posts. If you get your feelings hurt because you cant put up decent discussion, boo hoo. It's the internet, its tamer than the real world. As far as I care its a complete non issue. There is no reason to cater to those who cant come up with fully coherent thoughts.
  9. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

No, but there's no reason to bully them either. Eventually you come to a point where you're no longer arguing with someone and just punching the fuck out of a quadriplegic.
  10. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

[​IMG]
  11. Miracle
    • Development Team
    • CN/TW Liaison

Miracle NOTD Staff: Assistant of many things

Um... Can we not have arguments with each other (especially with that somewhat disturbing image)? I mean, isn't this the place for making suggestions and ask questions about specific features?
  12. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Not yet an argument. At this point we're still civilly discussing proper reactions to the community. It will stop being civil when it becomes direct accusations.
  13. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Premium example of what I'm fucking talking about.
  14. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Now it's an argument.
  15. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

And now is when you both stop posting about it for a day so when you come back it once again will not be an argument.
  16. Shooz
    • Donator

Shooz NOTD Staff: Killjoy

It's bad that I have to post and tell grown men to act their age. I do believe this is supposed to be the forum board that has the most mature and helpful members of the community. As of right now any of you who participated in this fight had better watch your asses. Blaqk, NiteShade, and ArcanePariah. I will not allow your bullshit to continue further than it has.

If you have an issue with this, you can sit through a ban until I decide you've learned your lesson.
  17. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

I still don't see what happened (up to a certain, noted point) as a fight. We also can't just ignore a major issue which we are currently facing. If we can't have a discussion about our own behavior then there's really no hope left for us. In addition, calling our debacle "bullshit" is no better than name calling. I'm not going to call any one person out on their actions because at some point we've all screwed up and I know I damn sure have. The only way we can repair our soiled image is to address the problem, and to address the problem we have to actually talk about it.
  18. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

That may be, but in this case, our discussion is more of complaining about the issues/attitudes and not really presenting any solutions, so for the moment we should table this, or carry it out in other channels of communication.

[hr]

On a more constructive topic, I like the new fort changes, makes combat there more interesting/dynamic imo. I don't entirely like the cliffwalker ramps, so is it possible to make more internal regular ramps and remove the cliffwalker ramps? It keep the fort's porous nature, but gives a team the chance to direct traffic and use the fort more like a jungle gym, dancing in and out to kite mobs.
  19. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

I especially like the new back entrance to the fort. It makes it much more useful for teams without a way to tank the queen, as the fort can be used up until the queen arrives, thin out the horde somewhat, and then bust out the back way to begin kiting.
  20. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

So, I was doing that thinking thing. Why can the Explo Demo's mines be attacked while they're burrowed? To the Infested, they're not living or moving, so they logically present no immediate threat. The Infested don't attack the Auto-turrets while they're burrowed, another example of inanimate objects in the ground. The only time they attack the Auto-turrets is when they're active, and that's because the Auto-turrets pop up and attack the Infested. In their inert state, they're just kind of there in the ground, and therefore the Infested leave them alone.

So my idea was that the player Mines (NOT BLACK OPS MINES) can be invulnerable to everything but skill damage (so things such as Nukes and Satchels and what have you destroy them) while burrowed. Prevents bosses from getting derpstuck on them, prevents holes in logic (such as I just presented), and prevents preparation being cut down to size when the boss makes their entrance and smacks half of the Demo's mines out of existence (I'm looking at you, Ere, you fat bastard).