Questions and Suggestions.

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Shooz, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Deathtrap as in, you have only 1 way out and that is through the throng of creeps, not a place where there are light spawns. So if your tank somehow dies or there's more creeps than you can handle, that's it. No way out alive.

Of course if you have a high dps team or tank who doesn't die, it is a great place to stay, but so are the other locations I mentioned.
    The others even more so because for instance ventilation room they are funneled through a much longer path than fort and there's zero places for cliff walkers to attack your flanks or even provide vision to other creeps, unlike fort where you need to hold a narrow arm to avoid ambush/flanking by cliff walkers.

//

Blaqk, where does it say that? The description is different for me. Nonetheless it says discuss not ask people for a strategy, it is to discuss strategy (i.e. it exists, has been posted, now talk about it)
  2. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

The difference is how we are defining Deathtrap.

Now, when I say Deathtrap in game. I am usually talking about Blaqk Ops Hill for the Queen Holdout. Why? Because yes, you have basically just one exit which requires you to plough through heavy mobs. But even if your team is alive and well, it can be VERY hard to hold it when you have all the Stalkers in creation barreling on you at once. They can approach you from about 350 degrees without a single place to funnel them in or otherwise choke them out. It's HARD to hold the hill against that. Even with a full team. Not to mention the Broodmothers tend to show up during the heavy Stalker waves.

Now your definition seems to be "If my team is failing anyway, in a Deathtrap I am guaranteed to die". But it's predicated on your team already failing anyway.

That seems to be our disagreement here. When I say Deathtrap I mean "There's a good chance to die even if you are in good condition" and you mean "There's a good chance to die if your team is getting rolled".
  3. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Hm.
    I think hill is not a deathtrap because you have 2 exits. The creeps will be coming from nearly everywhere but the very bottom path is generally light on creep and can be used as an escape route as the ground creeps take the upper path.
    Death trap to me is a place with only 1 exit and that is the same route where the bulk of creeps is coming from. I.e. you can't get out even if you wanted to.

In terms of failing anyway, that's usually not the case when you pick a deathtrap. Its something that happens during the holdout (something goes wrong/unexpected) and then you all die because you chose a place with no way out.

Risk vs reward
  4. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

Dat be the original description.
  5. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Please let me know if any part of NOTD still lags consistently for you.
  6. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Where is everyone start. At alpha
  7. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

Actually, I've been getting a lot MORE lag since you started working on reducing it... I used to average ~20 fps and this past weekend I was averaging ~5 fps.
  8. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Those infested cocoons (white things) die/explode about 1.5 seconds after getting killed by bullets. Seems strange and wasn't this way previously.
  9. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

Same with me. At first it was consistently improving then a sudden sharp increase in lags after a patch a few weeks back.

For me
    Easy
    1. When Tartarus/Eli dies.
    2. During Erebos 1
    3. During Hulk wave (but no lag from the time nydus worms pop up until Hulks come and almost none during Mutalisk wave)
    4. When Queen's waves are spawning.

Alpha
    1. During Demeter (until her mechanics were changed from spawning "hats". Now there's no lag)
    2. During Cronus

Apollo
    1. Com-tower wave, Nazara laser wave, Ivax sequence wave, Hephaestus + reactor waves have no lag for me. The rest do.
    2. Apoptosis fight (during)
    3. Hades form 1

During all of the mentioned lag spots, I now slow down to as low as 1FPS
    My messages also come out 4-5 seconds late along with unit command acceptance.
  10. Thermidor

Thermidor Well-Known Member

Lags for me during Tartarus, not just after. Makes kiting difficult and I often end up facetanking because orders I issue get carried out a lot later.
  11. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

The slower cocoon effect is intentional ATM. I've played all storylines past 2 weeks with no lag. Can you help me understand your situation more. If you can be precise, the better. I'll take screenshots from my own pc to see if it's replicated.
  12. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

Would it be a bad idea to restrict viewing of certain parts of the forum to members that are logged in only?

Like say the NOTD discussions and NOTD Announcements?

It might help encourage people to actually log on (and to do this, make an account) but I'm not sure what message that sends out.
    Or if it even sends out a message at all.
  13. Thermidor

Thermidor Well-Known Member

Hmm, not a fan of blocking viewing of NOTD Announcements to anonymous users. Reasoning is because some people just want to check the changelog without having to bother registering an account that they might not even use to post.
  14. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

People already feel like this is becoming an elitist community. The last thing we need to do is place even tighter restrictions on who can view what.
  15. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

That would be the point. Same reason I have a clan and distance myself from the normal rabble. The vast bulk of players are simply terrible, and are carried through games by the small cache of decent players. When a 40k exp player doesn't know the mechanics behind the smg, one begins to lose faith in their community. It's especially funny because there's multiple 100k+ players on NA who are absolute garbage.
  16. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

That would also be a bad thing. It's fine to have a group of better players, but to flaunt and look down on everyone else is just lame and stupid. Not to mention it kills people's enthusiasm for the game. It's a game, some may take it serious, but most don't and do it to relax/have fun/socialize. After playing DOTA for a decent amount of time, I really don't think being elitist is really worth it. At best, you are as good as you think you are, and people see you as arrogant, at worst, you look like a fool, who doesn't measure up.

I'm also curious what 100K+ NA players are utter garbage? Nearly all of them I know of are good team players who can play most of the classes well. Sure they tend to go for like 1-3 specialties, but who doesn't?

That "rabble" is the vast majority of players, and many are pretty decent, some may suck, some may simply not want to devote the long amount of time to master this game. And also as a small reminder, we were ALL that rabble once, when we had absolutely no fucking clue what was going on and died stupidly.

As for knowing specific mechanics, next to no one knows them all. As of yesterday, I completely misunderstood how adrenaline worked, do I now lower your faith in the community? Not to mention there is tons of bias/bad memories/inflexibility around various parts of the game. SMG being one of the worst in some cases, with people still thinking it's this awful ammo wasting gun that should never ever be used (despite being better then gauss in the bulk of EC, and devastating on all stories in SS Cons or Combat Engies hands).
  17. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Downloading and that one shitty player who always gets carried. They play sec team a lot, both are mediocre at best, abysmal at worst.

Dryrain can qualify as well, especially in public games.
  18. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

As long as NOTD is available to the public, people are allowed to be shitty and stupid, and god help us they fully intend to exercise that right. However, by attacking the shitty and stupid, we risk appearing hostile to all comers, not just those who provide no benefit to us. We all need to reel in our shitty attitudes and start acting like we've got some god damned class or the community will continue to get worse and it will be entirely our fault because the only people left to take our shit are those who are made of it themselves. In the past 5 days the only people who have registered an account on this forum did so only at my behest in the channel. That's bad.
  19. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

No, they don't make an account because they see no reason. They dont need it to view the patch log, not that anyone seems to read it anyways. They dont need it to find players, the channels handles that. They dont need it to read guides, those are open to all. And they dont need for discussion because its too intimidating. NOTD has averaged something like 20 lurkers active at all hours going back to forever. There literally is no incentive to create an account and honestly there never was to begin with.
  20. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

Which is fine, not everyone has to participate, only if they feel it's in their best interest to do so. Participating in the community is an extra commitment, one that not everyone feels the need to do, or have the time to do. Plenty of people just want to PLAY the game, or read about what's going on. Plenty of sites I visit regularly but do not have an account on since I do not intend to participate in the community, just keep tabs on things (comments on news websites, forums for different games, etc.)

Short version is, people DESPISE having choice removed. See Diablo 3 right now for an example of what happens when your remove choice (singleplayer vs multiplayer) and that bad faith that generates.