Questions and Suggestions.

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Shooz, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

Says who?

You can make the tooltip say damn near whatever you want. It could contain an entire speech on the history of the weapon throughout the ages if you wanted it to.
  2. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

The pistol is a jacked up piece of work. Attack a creep tumor and watch the health. It drops by increments of 20 not 40. But against zombies...
  3. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Damage: NUMBER

is set as far as I know, you can't put an essay in that place. You can in the rest of the modifiable tooltip.
  4. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

My mistake! I was apparently quite drunk when I thought I saw 20 damage per hit on a tumor.

However, I did just take Pusherella out and run a few Pistol tests.

It is indeed only firing one projectile now. The Agrons at start and even the Huggers both took 37 damage per shot. The little bastards have 3 armor. In addition, Concentration only flashes one number instead of the stacked digits as it did when it was a double projectile.

Give me a bit and let me test it with Blackout against this M45 and see if the energy consumption is the same.
  5. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Here's my quick tests with the pistol.

The pistol does indeed consume the correct energy per shot, meaning it is only firing one projectile. However, for a good laugh, watch what happens when I fire the flamethrower with Blackout on. I can completely drain my energy with just a few shots from the Flamethrower. That is an oversight with coding that REALLY needs to be fixed. Yes, the flamethrower is overshadowed and often unused in Sec Team, but it's still an issue with any weapon that fires multiple projectiles, such as the Shotgun. I'd wager Shoot to Maim suffers from the same issue.
  6. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Strange, I randomed PO in EC noob and blackout vs erebos drained 6 energy per shot.
    Blackout with a shotgun nearly drained my energy pool altogether :D
    That was before I first posted in this thread about Blackout on pistol costing double usual energy though, so it might have been fixed since then.

So given your tests, would it not make sense to change the displayed damage tooltip?
  7. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

...and then I remembered our custom UI means replays for data are useless.[hr]Yeah tooltip needs to be fixed. Tooltips should be a pretty high priority since they're newbies #1 source if information (the literate ones at least). Energy per shot costs on multiprojectile weapons should be the next priority.
  8. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

Heres the possible balence issue. Some abilities DEPEND on that behavior. If you remove that multi proc effect of multiple projectile, you indeed remove the massive energy drain of Blackout and Shoot to Main, but then you also remove the near instant damage buildup for Its Me Again! and most of all, Adrenaline on Opcomm, making the Flamer a vastly weaker weapon on that class.
  9. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Thus you could get a solution. Say code the Blackout skill to trigger off a round of ammunition being burned instead of an attack being triggered. Granted that would mean it wouldn't work with a Crowbar. And it would take more energy with an L3, Barrett, or Stinger. Then again do Psi Ops really use Blackout with them?

Also this means the shotgun will use 2 activations per attack. Which just sounds perfect.
  10. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

You could, if you want, have the Weapon Display the # of attacks.

Zealots say they deals 8 damage, then have another line saying they attack twice.
  11. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Arcane I didn't suggest removing the multi projectile system. I'm advocating adjusting those abilities to recognize that a shot was fired, not the shots that landed. Another fun weapon to drain your energy with is the Stinger. Watch a SMM fire it with concentration in effect. You'll notice there are numbers stacked on top of each other.
  12. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

This actually reminds me of something I was looking into before, and why the Pistol only got 40 damage crits and barely did anything to the Queen. It's specifically because of the dual attack system of the Pistol. I think it needs to be changed into 1 attack, 40 damage, with the current modifiers multiplied by 1.5 and the damage reduced per armor changed from 2 (considering that it was 1 for two attacks) to 1.5.
  13. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Outside of pistol tooltip, I'd also like to suggest that a separate display on the character model is added to show shields, as different characters have differing amounts of base shields and we can better track current shield armor that way.

You know, just like Protoss have armor and shield display.
  14. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Concentration kept throwing dual numbers for me in EC noob just now with Pistol.

It didn't do vs rocks but did vs actual enemies

Best of the many screenshots I took:
    (just killed a ghoul)
  15. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Like I said, pistol is jacked up.
  16. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Which is why we need to re-evaluate it and fix it. I've given my suggestion on what to do.
  17. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Did you make Shadowstep a Timescale buff? Look at the health regeneration of a Marksman during Shadowstep. <.<
  18. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Like what you're saying about the Pistol. Though a small part of me, which admittedly fondly likes the Pistol and gets all nostalgic about Flint every time I use it, wants it to be something a bit special.

Even if that special is something like "Critical hits by the pistol deal triple damage", instead of the standard double that exists.

Though another part of me realizes it could get insane with the Assault, particularly if Suppressive Fire gets the critical strike buff as well.
  19. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

Naw. Flamer's insane. Flamer and Shotgun are the assaults babies. Causes such an unearthly stunlocking.
  20. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Love the stunlocking. I figure it's because each individual flame gets a separate Critical Strike chance? So I probably get something like 5 stuns out of it per shot. But I was thinking of sheer damage instead of stunlock, where the Pistol would be hitting for 120 and out damage the flamethrower. Which is kinda crazy.