Queen: Invulnerable too long?

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Kith, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

This thread made me think about something. Eos' mechanics have gone largely unchanged for a very long time, and considering that we have other encounters that feature early game invulnerability to prevent cheese (specifically Demeter), I was thinking perhaps we should update the Queen's invulnerability to make her more manageable. What I'm suggesting specifically:

• Retain the Queen's early invulnerability, but remove it once she actually engages the players like Demeter does.
    • Possibly make her low movespeed at spawn restricted to Recruit/Veteran/Hardened, and have her move at normal speed on Nightmare to increase pressure on players but make Speed easier to obtain.
    Thoughts?
  2. TheWolf
    • Donator

TheWolf Surgeon of Death

guess removing it once she actually engages is the better option.
    If she moves normal on nm she will most likely arrive with a bulk of blackops, leading to teamwipes, considering that you wont have many kiteoptions.
    And im a bit worried what happens when we stunlock her in a gunship fire (or because of her siz multiples at once) the damage on those things is pretty high.
  3. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

Why not just make her not spawn until the start of chapter 3?
  4. Niktos

Niktos Well-Known Member

This would at same time remove situations of arty/nukes soloing queen in recruit what is a good thing.

In a situation of her spawning on other side of map it would be automatically 3+ (maybe more not sure) minutes it takes her to walk the distance against the speed attempt. I see no problem with this if queen gets a fixed spawn position so you are able to decide: far but safe camp or waiting near her spawn.
  5. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

So make her spawn in a random direction at a range of 30 away from the center of the team.
  6. craft
    • Donator

craft Member

i support this

like what wolf said. blackops+ queen chasing you isnt a good idea.
  7. DLINK

DLINK Well-Known Member

I am perfectly fine with queen being invincible until she gets close enough to engage players. If you want queen to move at full speed, however, you're going to have to tweak BO so every team doesn't get wiped trying to camp labs (or go fort and just hope queen spawns across map). In fact, bo SHOULD be changed regardless. Instead of throwing a whole army of superspeed spectres at the team, there should be just some (aka a few) mixed in with queen waves to disrupt players from camping with their snipers, emps (i never see enemy bo use it) and gunship. They should also lose their void prison (like wtf, we don't even have anything reliable to counter it anymore since gg went out the window), they don't even reliably cast them either and with the sentinel and ravens flying around, vision is almost just luck. If you think speed will be too easy, just make queen always spawn far from the team. It would most likely force less camping, more moving (to get to queen) and a bit less, I would say, compartmentalization of these 2 storylines.
  8. ChuckWing

ChuckWing Member

Moving red dots from gunships! Now we're talking!

I like the idea of changing the invulnerability. Like others said though, if you change her speed it could get crazy like patsy cline during blk ops. Not saying I'm against it, but you'd probably have to tweak something to get it to work.
  9. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

I'm of the opinion of it being more difficult would be "okay", considering that while the pressure on the team would be higher, you also get the opportunity to get her smashed by the Black Ops gunships. All of the feedback that I've gotten on the various Nightmares have been that they're some variety of a joke (except for Sec, it seems), so I was just throwing out an idea to make EC's finale more intense.
  10. craft
    • Donator

craft Member

yup. and I didnt complete ACNM for i think 3 months..

anyways jokes aside, yeah you get the opportunity to get her smashed from BO gunships, but in NM you wont know where she spawns. hence unable to run or kite her till really late. and void prism along with BO being ranged and a queen chasing you is going to prevent kiting
  11. EdowardoLMP

EdowardoLMP Well-Known Member

Heck kiting Queen with BOs around is not even cool by any means, BOs sight and attack range is m45 range + cloak as well.
  12. vexxenon

vexxenon Well-Known Member

First I want to say, ignore all reg/vet games, the current NM difficulty goes by the following, easiest to hardest.

SURV NM
    SEC NM
    EC NM
    AC NM

That being said, back to the queen. I'd much rather queen move at faster pace, than crawl, but not regular pace. However I hope queen doesn't share vision with BO, incase it spawns close along with BO, and queen can crawl over walls.

But I have another side to me as well, Queen mechanics is manageable, even when she spawns across the map, getting speed is not an issue. That being said, I feel that if it isn't broken, DON'T fix it.