Pusherella's Guide to Life as a Psionic Operative

Discussion in 'Strategy and Tactics' started by Blaqk, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Enemies become much more dangerous in Nightmare. If you complete a jump and there was an enemy just outside of the radius, it's going to charge and potentially kill you. But yes, team placement is a very important part of NOTD, which is why I designed the Rocketeer tree like I did.
  2. KatsuraJun

KatsuraJun New Member

Well, I usually jump and full throttle away to knock back survivors, so it's less of an issue. Though if it's on CD I can see how it would be problematic.
  3. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Full Throttle fails to work on anything bigger than a Stalker, though. Which means there's a decently-sized enemy pool size that is very interested in charging you and killing you anyways.
  4. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

I failed to address this earlier, but you should not be using the Gravity Gun as a weapon in Apollo Sec Team.

The knockback effect means you rob your allies of experience and God help you if you grab an enemy and give vision to a thousand Infested Marines ready to shoot your ass off.
  5. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

Worse, grab something targeted by stinger.
  6. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

I have never laughed harder than when I saw a Stinger do a 180 degree turn and slam into the team, killing five people because it was a SMM cloakcrit.
  7. DrCaptain
    • Donator

DrCaptain Well-Known Member

You forgot about meeee...Actually I have a fairly good understanding of Psi Ops now. However, with the addition of the Pathfinder and Chem Expert, I've had to basically re-learn what bosses to push and what bosses not to push.
  8. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Updated a wee bit in the spare time I have, and added a replay for Primary Apollo B.
  9. Ryan III

Ryan III Well-Known Member

Someone in an Apollo forgot ( or on purposely) left gg off hold fire and I was the PF so I said I was going to jump Demois and full throttle away but the guy with gg slowed me so I got raped by Demois. ( well first swarmed)
    Oh btw let's get back on topic
  10. Phaslix

Phaslix New Member

I find that blackout is severely underrated if you believe level 1 is sufficient. I pick maxing blackout over force push because of the conversion ability. You make that 10% chance seem like it's a great hinderance, but when mobs get close pushing them away can sometimes be an even greater hinderance because they get out of range or worse,as you stated, push an ally into the mob . I find the conversion most helpful when used in combo with a shotgun. The splash makes it the most effective weapon to use in conjunction with blackout and the conversion helps against any incoming enemies target the converted drawing attention away from you and fellow allies. Once you have converted an enemy (or noticed the blinded group) you want to turn off blackout then re-apply as necessary. This is not a skill that you leave on for long durations like tempest. It was made to be use in short spurts. You can also manually target the converted enemy like a gravity gun holding an enemy. Not to say that force push is unnecessary, but the only reason I even use force push is for the stun to stop infesters/menotoes from running away, in which case, is the same at all levels.
  11. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Hmm... I would think that since every zombie in the game shares vision that short ranged Blackout on a very fragile class that has no real defensive ability on it might necessarily be in the Bad Ideas (r) pile. Particularly in Nightmare where everything and their mother charges in Apollo Security Team.

Not to mention depending on a 10% lucky roll isn't necessarily a viable tactic necessarily. Least not in my books.
  12. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

This would be true if Apollo Security Team was a mob-based storyline, when it is in fact entirely about the bosses, with the one possible exception of IVAX. If you random PO in EC/AC, yes, blackout's conversion factor is very helpful.
  13. YetiSwarm
    • Donator

YetiSwarm Member

I don't think I've seen anyone besides me go the build I use, but I really like it. (Blaqk I also play PO in the majority of my apollo games, I just rarely seem to be in games with you ever.)

I go:
    Force Push
    Force Push
    Force Push
    Blackout
    Speed of Thought
    Sensory Confusion
    Blackout
    Blackout
    Inception

I skip getting the 2nd level of Speed of Thought because, especially with no engi for nexus anymore, you can barely ever see past the range of level 1, so getting level 2 is almost entirely a waste. Sensory confusion relies on you getting hit and is a passive - 2 big downsides, so 1 level is more than enough for me. Blackout on the other hand, is a useful tool to help the inception PO level and is its only semi-offensive skill so I get all 3 levels and carefully monitor my energy when using it. As a general rule I hate toggles, but given the alternatives, I'll take level 3 blackout rather than more SoT and Sensory.
  14. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

You lost my attention when you mentioned Menoetes. Please take the time to read the Guide Overview, which is the first text below the title. This guide is about the Psi Ops native storyline, Apollo Sec Team. I don't care that you randomed Psi Ops in another company. As Ozymandias (Ramses II) just said, Blackout's conversion factor is far more useful in a storyline where mobs are the greatest threat. That is not the case in Apollo Sec Team, which is why I stated what I did about Blackout. It is obvious from your post that you've never played Psi Ops in a high sr/nightmare Apollo Sec Team game, especially Sec Team B, so your post in this thread is rendered moot.

[hr]

Yeti while I agree with you on Speed of Thought, there are scenarios where I find that second level useful. One of them involves me not getting Ivan, which I'll often do for this very reason. The second involves either a working version of Flood Lights (that shares vision as intended) or involves use of mind link on my pony (Pathfinder who is much faster than me). Utility only goes as far as you use it.
  15. Lightning
    • Donator

Lightning Member

i would like a guide on the offhand PO. which i find it cool. ofc when u have time :D
  16. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Here's my credentials for having the authority to write a Psi Ops guide. If you think you can do better, prove it. I'd love to learn something new. =D