Pusherella's Guide to Life as a Psionic Operative

Discussion in 'Strategy and Tactics' started by Blaqk, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

WARNING! The only reason I have posted this thread already is I have hit my text limit in my draft. Since that's becoming a hindrance for me, I'm going to post it section-by-section. Don't PM me complaining about something missing, I'm well aware that half the darn guide is missing.

Credit goes to NiteShade, Kithrixx, Jerky, and Froblock for being congenial in these photo ops. This warning will be removed once the guide is completely posted.

[hr]

[align=center]Psionic Operative[/align]
    [hr]
    [align=center][​IMG][/align]
    [hr]

A few things to note about this guide. First, the primary color for Psi Ops is red. My Psi Ops is purple because of a custom color purchase. Second, this guide details the proper role, ability usage, and nuances of the Psi Ops. This guide is not a reference sheet and is not the wiki. If you want to know basic stats and information about the Psi Ops, wiki is here. In this guide, I'm assuming you have a basic understanding of the class and are playing Apollo Sec Team. If you've come for advice on how to play Psi Ops outside of Apollo Sec Team, you're out of luck. I don't care about your random and remember that if you play like a jackass with your randomed Psi Ops, especially in a public game, you're destroying your own reputation and ruining the experience of others. Remember that if you do have multiple Psi Ops, the most experienced should always be the Primary.

This guide also assumes you have a MOTM Tech and a Rocketry Pathfinder. While this guide is designed from the perspective of a three man run through Apollo, it holds true for larger runs as well, as proven by adding additional players to the same strategies and tactics that NiteShade, Kithrixx, and I developed and use for our three man romps.

Each section of the guide will be separated into its own post to allow streamlined linking and indexing. Additional parts of the guide will be added and indexed as time permits.

[hr]

[align=center]Introduction[/align]
    [hr]

Apollo Sec Team makes great and frequent use of the powers of a Psi Ops. In this guide, I'll refer to two different roles as Primary and Offhand. The Primary Psi Ops will always be Mind Mastery, as the abilities within that tree are often vital to team survival and mission success. The Primary Psi Ops should always be an experienced player and the bonus talent from 10 class points is strongly recommended. The Offhand Psi Ops is only present when multiple Psi Ops are chosen (or randomed) in Apollo Sec team and will often follow the Telepathy tree but a second Mind Mastery Psi Ops is not undesirable.

No matter which role you are in, and no matter what the circumstances, always remember that you are the support caster. You are not a weapons DPS class, so don't hog ammo mods nor waste ammo. You can expect to spend entire stints of the game on hold fire, or using an M45 rifle or other ammo saving weaponry. If your team isn't stupid or using them for other purposes, you'll often find yourself the bearer of the Gravity Gun and the L3 Grenade Launcher. The L3 benefits poorly from buffs so other weapons serve the DPS classes better. The Gravity Gun is in the same boat and the colossal energy pool and regeneration of the Psi Ops means the paltry energy cost to grapple items and enemies is moot.

Always remember that despite your vaunted power, you are one of the squishier classes inhabiting the Moon. At 35 shields and 160 health, you are a hair tougher than your friend Marksman but a Slasher doesn't care at all about that extra 10 health. You can survive alone better than most of the other classes thanks to Force Push or Mental Projections but repeated use and sprinting will drain your energy quickly. In addition, without the proper weapons you'll be at the mercy of Blindlings and a blinded Psi Ops is the most vulnerable situation you can be in during Apollo Sec Team. Other classes have abilities that can protect them while blind, such as a Recon's flare or a Marksman's cloak, but you are at the mercy of chance. Always have a battle buddy and don't do stupid things. It should go without saying, but watching an inexperienced Psi Ops run out to her death isn't an uncommon thing. Don't be stupid and you'll be fine.

[hr]
    [hr]

[hr]

[align=center]Index[/align]
    [hr]

[align=center]
    -General Guide to Mind Mastery-
    -General Guide to Telepathy-
    -Primary Psi Ops in Apollo A-
    -Primary Psi Ops in Apollo B-
    -Offhand Psi Ops in Apollo A-
    -Offhand Psi Ops in Apollo B-
    [/align]
  2. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

[hr]

[align=center]General Guide to Mind Mastery[/align]
    [hr]
    [hr]

Mind Mastery is the tree taken by the Primary Psi Ops. If there is only one Psi Ops, or in the case of multiples, the most experienced Psi Ops will become the Primary, going Mind Mastery in order to provide the needed abilities that will make or break the game in key situations. Your survival is tantamount, especially for the HAL Shutdown so don't take any unnecessary risks and always have a battle buddy. You will be called upon and your skills and reflexes will be tested in several situations and the balance of life and death will lie in your hands.

[hr]

[align=center]Order of Talents[/align]
    [hr]

Your role as the Primary Psi Ops is threefold. You are to keep the mobs and bosses at bay with Force Push, meaning you should max it first. You are to use Inception at key moments to protect your team and ensure success. Finally, you are to aid your teammates with Speed of Thought, Force Push, and Inception if needed. Once you progress into the Telepathy tree you will want to max Mind Link. The purpose of max mind link is to ensure you don't die to a troll slasher and details regarding it will be covered in the Telepathy section.

Force Push
    Force Push
    Force Push
    Blackout
    Speed of Thought
    Speed of Thought
    Sensory Confusion
    Sensory Confusion
    Inception
    Mind Link
    Mind Link
    Mind Link
    Mind Ravage
    Foresight
    Foresight

[hr]

[align=center]Force Push[/align]
    [hr]

This is your bread and butter. The sooner you can get this skill to level 3 the easier your life will be. Force Push is an ability that's easy to use, but hard to master. Proper use can make the difference between success and failure and improper use can easily kill one of your teammates. Trust me, I've killed Kithrixx twice. On that note, both you and your team should understand that accidents happen. If you do accidentally push your teammate, it's not the end of the world. Even if you push them into certain death, there is a way to save them, which I have pulled off and will detail later.

Here are a few important notes about Force Push.

-Like all other AOE abilities, Force Push extends slightly beyond the indicator. Enemies and allies that will be affected by Force Push are tinted red. Use this to properly line up your push.

-Pathfinders turn blue shortly before jumping. During holdouts or boss fights, keep an eye on your Pathfinder. Hopefully he has communicated to the team the number of jumps he will do at the start of a boss battle and you can simply count down to push, but even if he has that doesn't mean a quick jump wont end in disaster. Before you click to use Force Push, always look to see if your Pathfinder is about to jump to his demise.

-Pay attention to your Technician. If he has the crowbar equipped and is using March of the Machines on an enemy, don't Force Push the enemy away from him. Don't be Scumbag Psi Ops.

-If you have the Stinger, always Force Push Infested Marines before firing. Infested Marines can't shoot down the rocket if they are stunned.

-Force Push does not halt Nazara's attack. Nazara as a whole is a douchebag. He's virtually immune to stuns, he can make a ghoul more dangerous than himself, and he ate Sec Team's Engineer to gain his X-1 power. Be mindful of your Technician and Pathfinder during this fight. If your Technician does not have March of the Machines, coordinate with your Pathfinder to keep him stunlocked or pushed back and have your team whittle him down from a distance.

Oh no! You pushed your squishy friend into Agrons/Devourers/Slashers/Ursadek Calfs! What do you do?

In a feat of reflexes that I'll probably never pull off again, I saved my companion that I pushed into a swarm of Agrons. As soon as I realized that I pushed him, I used Inception. The moment the first push settled and the stun wore off, I used Speed of Thought to teleport in and stun the Agrons again. Since Speed of Thought is only a radius 3 stun, I used Force Push to turn the other closing Agrons and then Speed of Thought again to get myself to safety.

The biggest obstacle to overcome in this scenario is your own shock. If you can shake off the fact that you just killed your friend, you can actually save him or her from yourself. The most important part of that equation is Inception. Depending on the enemies, with the timescale effect of Inception in place most people can wiggle their own way out of the bind you put them in. Only in cases where they're unable to get out or the enemies are guaranteed to kill them in a single volley will you need to stunlock for their escape.

[hr]

[align=center]Blackout[/align]
    [hr]

This is not a one-off talent to get to the next tier! Blackout, in my opinion, is only useful at level 1 as converting the enemy interrupts the flow of DPS to their face. However the blind effect can and will save lives if used. If you are alone and being chased by enemies, kiting them with Blackout on will keep you from getting hit and make kiting them far easier.

Use this darn talent!

[hr]

[align=center]Speed of Thought[/align]
    [hr]

I see too many Psi Ops with the impression that this ability is for transportation. Used properly, this ability can save your life and especially the lives of those around you.

-Remember that Speed of Thought will stun enemies in a radius of 3 around your destination for 3 seconds. That stun is second only to the Assault's in terms of power and can make the difference between that slasher eating Froblock's ass or not.

-This ability is very useful during the HAL Sequence and the Slasher traps thereafter for protecting yourself. It is very easy to get trapped on the wrong end of a laser or a slasher, and Speed of Thought can get you back in the center of your team where it is safeish.

-This is not a cheese tool. It is dishonorable to use this talent to place yourself in locations that can break the game. Only those who lack skill, intelligence, and honor will cheese to attain victory. Don't be that guy.

[hr]

[align=center]Sensory Confusion[/align]
    [hr]

This is a defensive talent and should be invested in only after you have acquired Speed of Thought. To invest in this talent prior to Speed of Thought is self-serving and will only hinder your team in the long run. The chance to cloak will protect you in a few circumstances only if you are lucky and the number of detectors in Apollo reduce the effectiveness of this talent.

[hr]

[align=center]Inception[/align]
    [hr]

The big guns. Inception is a very powerful talent. The effects are on the timescale of enemies and allies which alters every single aspect of the unit in some way. During Inception, the timescale shift is enough that you can run all the way around an Agron before it finishes its attack and causes you damage.

There are key moments when Inception is expected or needed and those are covered in the Primary Psi Ops in Apollo A/B sections. However, don't hesitate to use Inception when you see its power is needed.

For instance, during the fight against Apoptosis, keep an eye on your Tech or Demo's health. If it falls below a safe percentage and its obvious that Apoptosis is about to butcher your tank, or if Apoptosis decides that your tank isn't very tasty and bee-lines it for your Medic, be sure to press V to ensure that your team doesn't wipe to annoying ol' Apop.

The same can go for any situation that can end your game in defeat. If, while running from Ivax, you happen to get trapped on the bridge between Agrons and Slashers, don't Force Push Kithrixx who just assault jumped into the Agrons to his death! Instead, just use Inception and use the timescale effect to properly deal with the threat at hand.

As I said, Inception is very powerful. Used at the right time, it can make a tough situation a breeze and can keep the whole game from going to hell. Used at the wrong time, however, can leave it on cooldown for when you really need it, as a one minute cooldown is considerable. Be aware of your surroundings and know when to hold 'em.
  3. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

[hr]

[align=center]General Guide to Telepathy[/align]
    [hr]
    [hr]

Don't be ashamed of being second-banana to the Primary Psi Ops. As the offhand, your role is less important (thus less stressful), but just as beneficial. You are mob control and defender. Mind Ravage is not just 60 damage with a stun buff, it's venom control. Any time you see parasites, you darn well better use Mind Ravage on them. Even at Nightmare difficulty, one blast will bring them down, granting you a healthy chunk of xp and saving you and your teammates from stacking venom. Your medic will thank you. If not, slap her. Mind Link is your enemy for 90% of the game. Do not use it outside of one of the outlined situations unless requested. I will reiterate this more, don't you worry! Foresight and Tempest will provide great mob control, especially during heavy sequences such as Athena or dealing with the Lelanthos that put your Devastators at risk. Finally, Mental Projections will be your bread and butter. They are less important than Foresight early on, but later can mean the difference between life and death for you or an ally. Expect to have a higher kill count than your Primary Psi Ops and learn to sync your late-game Force Pushes with hers so you can keep bosses like Athena at bay indefinitely.

[hr]

[align=center]Order of Talents[/align]
    [hr]

Your role as the offhand Psi Ops is nearly the same as the Primary Psi Ops. Mind Ravage is important for you will have Parasite duty. Any time a worm spawns, an Infester or Agron dies, or just plain during the Ivax sequence, you will spam the inexpensive and quick-cooling Mind Ravage to keep venom levels low. Avoid using Mind Link except for the situations detailed in the Telepathy section. Foresight is important as it slows mobs, making aiming weapons such as the Stinger and picking off priority targets much easier. Mental Projections aids in your survivability and adds a bit of DPS. Tempest will shine brightest during Athena. While the Primary Psi Ops keeps her at the base of the ramp with Force Push, you will have Tempest going full throttle to weaken and kill any mobs that squeeze past and to rend any cellular structures she may excrete.

Mind Ravage
    Mind Ravage
    Mind Ravage
    Mind Link
    Foresight
    Foresight
    Mental Projection
    Mental Projection
    Tempest
    Force Push
    Force Push
    Force Push
    Blackout
    Speed of Thought
    Speed of Thought

[hr]

[align=center]Mind Ravage[/align]
    [hr]

Boo hoo my talent you made me put three points into only does 60 damage. I hate you, Blaqk!

Fine. I don't care. Guess what has less than 60 health, though. Parasites! This talent encompasses your role as mob and damage control as Offhand Psi Ops by being the best and most efficient Anti-Parasite skill in the whole darn game. Apollo Sec Team, especially on Nightmare difficulty, is riddled with the little bastards and this talent is capable of eating an entire Worm worth of Parasites in a single blast. This is great for your team, wonderful for your medic, and amazing for you as Parasites have a disproportionately high xp reward. The energy cost and cooldown of this power is so low that there is no reason for you to not spam it and if your medic doesn't thank you, slap her.

Beyond parasites, it's great for ghoul swarms, banelings, blindlings, and softening clustered mobs for quicker take-down. Use the heck out of it.

[hr]

[align=center]Mind Link[/align]
    [hr]

Hello controversy! This skill is one of the most hated (although the new Gravity Grenade is giving it stiff competition) and most underused talents in the whole game. This skill only becomes a burden under extended use, or with a forgetful Psi Ops (Hai there!) who forgets to turn it off. For 95% of the game, this skill should be untouched. However, during that 5% of the game, pour it on!

Mind Link should be used in a handful of situations, and when you use it correctly, your allies shouldn't even know you used it.

Here's an example of the correct use of Mind Link. Yesterday, Pyromaniac and I did a two-man Survival run and I chose Telepathy Psi Ops with him as a Rocketry Pathfinder. At one point, we were getting trolled by enemies that would love to 1hk our squishy asses. Right as a Slasher was closing in on him, I was afraid he didn't see it so I quickly mind linked him. Had the slasher hit him, it would have had 33 damage shaved off from his shield armor, then 15% of the remainder shaved off, then the rest split between us. The result would have been a nasty ouchy for both of us but zero death. As soon as the slasher was dead I canceled Mind Link.

Any time there's the possibility for a one-hit-kill, Mind Link should be used. Once that possibility has expired, Mind Link should be cancelled. The one-hit-kill possibilities in Apollo Sec Team will be detailed in the guides for both Primary and Offhand and you should seriously heed those moments and plan accordingly based upon what talents you have at the time.

[hr]

[align=center]Foresight[/align]
    [hr]

If you need a guide about how to use this talent, you need a brain scan. The most important thing to remember about this talent is that the position of your Psi Ops will determine how much of the mob is affected. You need to strike a balance between putting yourself in harm's way and affecting as much of the mob as possible.

[hr]

[align=center]Mental Projections[/align]
    [hr]

Mental Projections is pretty straightforward and information on it can be found in the Wiki. Here are a few things you should know about Mental Projections that can extend its usefulness.

-Triangles. If you have the micro skill, once you use Mental Projections arrange your Psi Ops and her Projections into a loose triangle formation. Enemies will end up in the middle of you running back and forth as the cloak effect repeatedly shifts their aggro.

-Mind Ravage. Guess what! Each Projection has level 1 Mind Ravage. You should be spamming the crap out of this free 20 damage mechanic while your projections are on the field. Nevermind. Ability doesn't love me anymore.

-Gauss Rifles. Being chased by a Stalker? Use Mental Projection and keep on truckin'. Depending on the difficulty and number of players present, the Projections alone should be enough to mop up a stray Stalker.

-Free tanks! If your Technician doesn't have Kinetic Armor and/or March of the Machines, guess who should be tanking Deimos and Nazara. YOU! Rather, the Projections of you should be tanking. Either way, keep your team alive and hit counts low.

-This is not for your xp whoring. If you are outleveling your team, which you should be, do not use this talent during holdouts. Your Primary Psi Ops, Technician, and Pathfinder/Subtlety Marksman are going to have important roles to fill that your devouring all the xp will hinder. Be fair to your team.

[hr]

[align=center]Tempest[/align]
    [hr]

A maelstrom of electricity and death. The only thing you really need to pay attention to is your placement. You ideally want to place Tempest as close to yourself as possible so Foresight will cause enemies to endure that 85 dps storm a little longer.

The place where this talent really shines is around the battle with Athena. This talent works wonders against the Lelanthos spam in particular that griefs the hell out of your Devastators.

Just remember that once you commit to your Tempest that repositioning the storm will eat more energy than holding put. Unless your storm is doing negligible damage and a far superior target is evident, don't reposition your Tempest unless you must.
  4. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Be aware that until the storyline fork, the responsibilities of the Primary Psi Ops will be the same in both the A and B guides. I have taken the time to blatantly mark the fork-point so you can quickly scroll to the relevant information.

[hr]

[align=center]Primary Psi Ops in Apollo A[/align]
    [hr]
    [hr]

[align=center]Sec Team A[/align]
    [hr]

The game's host should have ensured that you are in Sec Team A. This is because your Force Push ability will be invaluable with dealing with the early Agrons. With your Technician and any other allies you may have, concentrate on bringing the Agrons down one-by-one until all have fallen. Don't hesitate to drain your energy reserves on Force Push as the number of threats to you post-Agrons are few. After your team has slain the Huggers and done the do, provided that someone else is going to rescue B if they aren't confident about handling the Stalkers, grab your battle buddy and begin scouting. I will typically hit the locations guarded by devourers as Force Push is, once again, very useful in dealing with them.

[hr]

[align=center]Sec Team B[/align]
    [hr]

If your host did not ensure you were part of Sec Team A, then your responsibility is simply to make sure no one dies. Use Force Push liberally and make sure the rocks outside the gate are broken. Don't kill your Pathfinder.

[hr]

[align=center]First Holdout[/align]
    [hr]

Doesn't matter where you hold. Hopefully you have the L3 Grenade Launcher. If so, fire away and soak up as much experience as you can. You and the Technician have priority for early experience as the whole team wants and needs for you to have Inception by no later than post-Nazara. If you don't have the L3, grab a Pulse Rifle if no one is hogging and keep the Beastlings held back with generous use of Force Push. Your team should have enough firepower to handle the mobs, but the Beastlings can easily sneak through if you aren't careful. Always watch them and Force Push as needed.

[hr]

[align=center]Deimos: The Infested Marine with the Lame Human Name[/align]
    [hr]

Firsties! Deimos wants to shoot you with his gun-arm-thing. Don't let him. Stay a good distance back from your tank too, as Deimos does have an AOE attack that will slow you. Hits at this point in the game will haunt you until the end and as few as 15 can cause you to end your game with negative double-digit rating.

What happens next depends entirely on where your team is at this point. Your Pathfinder will want to jump the crap out of him at the start. Know how many jumps your Pathfinder has and count them down. After he's finished, your team should pour on the firepower. If your Technician has March of the Machines, just sit back and shoot. If your Tech does not have March of the Machines, you just became vital. Without MOTM, you will have to use Force Push to keep Deimos from obliterating your Tech. Be sure to aim your Force Push slightly behind Deimos to lessen the chance of catching your Tech in the blast and keep a close eye on your Pathfinder. When Deimos lays his eggs, stop pushing. Your Pathfinder should then assault jump the eggs to prevent them from spawning nasties and healing Deimos. Remember, Pathfinders turn blue just moments before jumping.

With a little skill, Deimos should fall quickly and without hassle.

[hr]

[align=center]Second Holdout[/align]
    [hr]

This is where life and death lie in your hands. This wave will be one of two things depending on your difficulty and luck. This will either be Agrons and Infested Marines, or Seekers and Infested Marines. Either way, by this point your team should have killed Seth and you should have the Stinger for now. Use Force Push on the mobs that approach you then immediately fire your Stinger. Using Force Push first will prevent the Infested Marines from shooting the rocket down. Once you attain Inception (which you should hopefully do at this point), pass the Stinger off to the next class that needs it, usually the Technician. Continue using Force Push to keep the mobs from overwhelming you and don't let any Infested Terran get near the team. I don't care if you're 5 terrain levels above them, "have 11 armor, no ailments, and bullshit regen" (actual Kithrixx quote as Technician just moments before being torn to shreds) they'll make swiss cheese out of you should a single Agron or just bad luck spot for them.

[hr]

[align=center]Nazara: Douchebag of Apollo[/align]
    [hr]

This fight tends to get sloppy because there's so much going on. Your role in this fight is to ensure that no one dies. Depending on your team composition, you may or may not have the Stinger. Use it. Your Technician should have Kinetic Armor and/or March of the Machines and laughs at your puny little Stinger rockets. If you need to, just sting him directly. Trust me, it tickles him just right. Remember that March of the Machines now has lovely stop commands designed to eat your face off, and the poor Tech can't very well Crowbar the flying menace. Nazara needs to die fast lest he Assume Direct Control of an enemy, multiple times even, and force the team into a hasty and doomed retreat.

Should your Technician not have March of the Machines for this fight, then things can get ugly. You will most likely burn through every shred of energy you have using Force Push to keep Nazara from tearing the team apart. Whoever has the stinger, be it you or anyone else, needs to time their stings to occur as soon as they see your Force Push. This will ensure that Nazara is stunned and at the greatest distance to the team possible in order to keep friendly fire minimal.

As always, coordinate with your Pathfinder and be aware of when he's about to jump. If you kill him, he wont be happy.

On Nightmare difficulty, Nazara's douchiness doesn't end with death. As soon as he dies, he releases a wonderful EMP blast that drains you and your team of all energy. Fret not! Just hold fire and start hoofin' it to the HAL Shutdown. You should have enough energy to Incept when the time is needed.

[hr]

[align=center]HAL Shutdown[/align]
    [hr]

The only thing you need to know here is that this is your moment. Contrary to what some people will tell you, you should use Inception the exact moment the countdown timer begins. You will get to about 45 or so before Inception ends. It's better to have to Incept twice than to lose someone by waiting too long to Incept the first time.

After the shutdown your team will gather for the impending waves. Someone should plant flares around and the Stinger and L3 should be spammed. Coordinate with your Pathfinder with dealing with enemies. Kithrixx and I will generally follow this rule.

Assault Jump Close - Force Push Far

WARNING! This is a one-hit-kill opportunity. Now is the time you should Mind Link.

[hr]

[align=center]Apoptosis: The Boss that Laughs at Aggro[/align]
    [hr]

First of all, be aware that Apoptosis doesn't give two craps about who you are or where you are positioned. He's gonna pick someone, fly his happy ass over to them and start stacking Open Wound and eating their face off. If you are lucky, he likes the way your tank tastes and will proceed to duke it out with the bleeder.

Your responsibilities in this fight are twofold.

1) You are to ensure all huggers die. Manually target huggers and nag your teammates until they do the same.

2) Panic button. You are the panic button in this fight. If Apop is overpowering your tank, or if he breaks aggro and starts chasing one of your squishies, you need to use Inception immediately. This will give the squishy time to escape and allow your tank to regain control of the flying asshole.

This fight is almost always sloppy and many teams will wipe here because their Psi Ops stands there and twiddles her thumbs. Incept when needed and save your team. Force Push huggers and other nasties down the ramp if needed. Be alert and be the hero.

[hr]

[align=center]IVAX: Parasites, Agrons, Hulks, Slashers, and Everything Ability Thinks Will Kill You.[/align]
    [hr]

Here it is very important that you coordinate with your Pathfinder. Kithrixx and I generally go by this rule:

Assault Jumps Left - Force Pushes Right

Whoever has the Stinger needs to be using it on the side of your Force Pushes. Despite what other people and guides may tell you, don't hesitate to use Inception if things get dire. The cooldown is long but not forever. By the time Slashers become an immediate threat, the cooldown should have expired.

WARNING! This is a one-hit-kill opportunity. Now is the time you should Mind Link.
  5. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

[hr]Be aware that until the storyline fork, the responsibilities of the Primary Psi Ops will be the same in both the A and B guides. I have taken the time to blatantly mark the fork-point so you can quickly scroll to the relevant information.

The attached replay has plenty of offensive dialogue but is also a nearly perfect 5 man Apollo B run. I say nearly perfect because Hades 2 eats everyone except Froblock.

[hr]

[align=center]Primary Psi Ops in Apollo B[/align]
    [hr]
    [hr]

[align=center]Sec Team A[/align]
    [hr]

The game's host should have ensured that you are in Sec Team A. This is because your Force Push ability will be invaluable with dealing with the early Agrons. With your Technician and any other allies you may have, concentrate on bringing the Agrons down one-by-one until all have fallen. Don't hesitate to drain your energy reserves on Force Push as the number of threats to you post-Agrons are few. After your team has slain the Huggers and done the do, provided that someone else is going to rescue B if they aren't confident about handling the Stalkers, grab your battle buddy and begin scouting. I will typically hit the locations guarded by devourers as Force Push is, once again, very useful in dealing with them.

[hr]

[align=center]Sec Team B[/align]
    [hr]

If your host did not ensure you were part of Sec Team A, then your responsibility is simply to make sure no one dies. Use Force Push liberally and make sure the rocks outside the gate are broken. Don't kill your Pathfinder.

[hr]

[align=center]First Holdout[/align]
    [hr]

Doesn't matter where you hold. Hopefully you have the L3 Grenade Launcher. If so, fire away and soak up as much experience as you can. You and the Technician have priority for early experience as the whole team wants and needs for you to have Inception by no later than post-Nazara. If you don't have the L3, grab a Pulse Rifle if no one is hogging and keep the Beastlings held back with generous use of Force Push. Your team should have enough firepower to handle the mobs, but the Beastlings can easily sneak through if you aren't careful. Always watch them and Force Push as needed.

[hr]

[align=center]Deimos: The Infested Marine with the Lame Human Name[/align]
    [hr]

Firsties! Deimos wants to shoot you with his gun-arm-thing. Don't let him. Stay a good distance back from your tank too, as Deimos does have an AOE attack that will slow you. Hits at this point in the game will haunt you until the end and as few as 15 can cause you to end your game with negative double-digit rating.

What happens next depends entirely on where your team is at this point. Your Pathfinder will want to jump the crap out of him at the start. Know how many jumps your Pathfinder has and count them down. After he's finished, your team should pour on the firepower. If your Technician has March of the Machines, just sit back and shoot. If your Tech does not have March of the Machines, you just became vital. Without MOTM, you will have to use Force Push to keep Deimos from obliterating your Tech. Be sure to aim your Force Push slightly behind Deimos to lessen the chance of catching your Tech in the blast and keep a close eye on your Pathfinder. When Deimos lays his eggs, stop pushing. Your Pathfinder should then assault jump the eggs to prevent them from spawning nasties and healing Deimos. Remember, Pathfinders turn blue just moments before jumping.

With a little skill, Deimos should fall quickly and without hassle.

[hr]

[align=center]Second Holdout[/align]
    [hr]

This is where life and death lie in your hands. This wave will be one of two things depending on your difficulty and luck. This will either be Agrons and Infested Marines, or Seekers and Infested Marines. Either way, by this point your team should have killed Seth and you should have the Stinger for now. Use Force Push on the mobs that approach you then immediately fire your Stinger. Using Force Push first will prevent the Infested Marines from shooting the rocket down. Once you attain Inception (which you should hopefully do at this point), pass the Stinger off to the next class that needs it, usually the Technician. Continue using Force Push to keep the mobs from overwhelming you and don't let any Infested Terran get near the team. I don't care if you're 5 terrain levels above them, "have 11 armor, no ailments, and bullshit regen" (actual Kithrixx quote as Technician just moments before being torn to shreds) they'll make swiss cheese out of you should a single Agron or just bad luck spot for them.

[hr]

[align=center]Nazara: Douchebag of Apollo[/align]
    [hr]

This fight tends to get sloppy because there's so much going on. Your role in this fight is to ensure that no one dies. Depending on your team composition, you may or may not have the Stinger. Use it. Your Technician should have Kinetic Armor and/or March of the Machines and laughs at your puny little Stinger rockets. If you need to, just sting him directly. Trust me, it tickles him just right. Remember that March of the Machines now has lovely stop commands designed to eat your face off, and the poor Tech can't very well Crowbar the flying menace. Nazara needs to die fast lest he Assume Direct Control of an enemy, multiple times even, and force the team into a hasty and doomed retreat.

Should your Technician not have March of the Machines for this fight, then things can get ugly. You will most likely burn through every shred of energy you have using Force Push to keep Nazara from tearing the team apart. Whoever has the stinger, be it you or anyone else, needs to time their stings to occur as soon as they see your Force Push. This will ensure that Nazara is stunned and at the greatest distance to the team possible in order to keep friendly fire minimal.

As always, coordinate with your Pathfinder and be aware of when he's about to jump. If you kill him, he wont be happy.

On Nightmare difficulty, Nazara's douchiness doesn't end with death. As soon as he dies, he releases a wonderful EMP blast that drains you and your team of all energy. Fret not! Just hold fire and start hoofin' it to the HAL Shutdown. You should have enough energy to Incept when the time is needed.

[hr]

[align=center]HAL Shutdown[/align]
    [hr]

The only thing you need to know here is that this is your moment. Contrary to what some people will tell you, you should use Inception the exact moment the countdown timer begins. You will get to about 45 or so before Inception ends. It's better to have to Incept twice than to lose someone by waiting too long to Incept the first time.

After the shutdown your team will gather for the impending waves. Someone should plant flares around and the Stinger and L3 should be spammed. Coordinate with your Pathfinder with dealing with enemies. Kithrixx and I will generally follow this rule.

Assault Jump Close - Force Push Far

[hr]

[align=center]Apoptosis: The Boss that Laughs at Aggro[/align]
    [hr]

First of all, be aware that Apoptosis doesn't give two craps about who you are or where you are positioned. He's gonna pick someone, fly his happy ass over to them and start stacking Open Wound and eating their face off. If you are lucky, he likes the way your tank tastes and will proceed to duke it out with the bleeder.

Your responsibilities in this fight are twofold.

1) You are to ensure all huggers die. Manually target huggers and nag your teammates until they do the same.

2) Panic button. You are the panic button in this fight. If Apop is overpowering your tank, or if he breaks aggro and starts chasing one of your squishies, you need to use Inception immediately. This will give the squishy time to escape and allow your tank to regain control of the flying asshole.

This fight is almost always sloppy and many teams will wipe here because their Psi Ops stands there and twiddles her thumbs. Incept when needed and save your team. Force Push huggers and other nasties down the ramp if needed. Be alert and be the hero.

[hr]

[align=center]IVAX: Parasites, Agrons, Hulks, Slashers, and Everything Ability Thinks Will Kill You.[/align]
    [hr]

Here it is very important that you coordinate with your Pathfinder. Kithrixx and I generally go by this rule:

Assault Jumps Left - Force Pushes Right

Whoever has the Stinger needs to be using it on the side of your Force Pushes. Despite what other people and guides may tell you, don't hesitate to use Inception if things get dire. The cooldown is long but not forever. By the time Slashers become an immediate threat, the cooldown should have expired.

[hr]

[align=center]Storyline Fork - B[/align]
    [hr]

[hr]

[align=center]Camp Devastator[/align]
    [hr]

This next step is very important. Hold fire. I'm serious. I don't care what gun you have, stop shooting it. Curl up and take a nap next to the devastators while you wait for Athena. Don't waste ammo. Use Force Push and Blackout as needed to help with any Lelanthos or Titans that try to tank your Devastators, but don't waste ammo. Your main focus here is to soak up as much shared XP as you can from the Devastators so you can get Foresight.

[hr]

[align=center]Athena: Eating Your Ass With a Side of Bacon[/align]
    [hr]

You better be alert when Athena arrives, because if you don't do your job, then your team will wipe here. I'm going to assume you're camping in the airlock with your devastators as is the norm. Use the heck out of Force Push to keep her at the bottom of the ramp. Force Push will inflict Athena with a moment of stupidity and cause her to turn around and walk off for a second or two. Because of this, you cannot use the excuse of cooldown if she makes it up the ramp. The best time to use Force Push is as soon as she reaches the top of the bottom ramp, but not before she turns to walk south towards the next ramp. Waiting until this point ensures that your Devastators and DPS allies can inflict maximum damage before you send her off, probably out of your line of sight. If you have the stinger, as soon as you spot a cellular structure, shoot at Athena. The AOE will cause the structure to get hit, die, and Athena to become vulnerable. Depending on what you have, it might be worth it to use Inception at this point. If you do have the Stinger or if you happen to have another weapon like the HMG or Barrett, go ahead and Inception. The damage bonus alone to the Barrett, Stinger, or HMG, will easily make it worth the use.
  6. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

[hr]

[align=center]Offhand Psi Ops in Apollo A[/align]
    [hr]
  7. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

[hr]

[align=center]Offhand Psi Ops in Apollo B[/align]
    [hr]
  8. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

[align=center]The floor is now open to questions and discussion.[/align]

[hr]

Credits

Apollo Sec Team Screenshots

Pathfinder = Kithrixx
    Demolitionist = Jercy
    Marksman = Froblock
    Technician = NiteShade
    Psi Ops = Blaqk

Survival Screenshots
    Pathfinder = Pyromaniac
    Psi Ops = Blaqk

Kithrixx
    Half of this guide is dedicated to how not to kill your Pathfinder. Even the best teams still have accidents. I have personally killed Kithrixx at least twice with an ill timed Force Push. The addition of Pathfinder to Apollo Sec Team adds a much needed ally in the form of a risk ignoring madman. Because of this, a Psi Ops always needs to be on the same page as her Pathfinder and the two must know each other's intentions. Thanks, Kith, for knowing that accidents happen. <3

Yuey
    Thanks for hastily pointing out that Ability withdrew a little love from the Psi Ops. <3
  9. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Nice work so far Blaqk. Love seeing things like this myself. Particularly since I don't Sex Ops all that often.
  10. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

I play Psi Ops almost as much as I play Recon. There are far too few experienced Psi Ops players and I can count on two fingers the players that are often asked to Psi Ops in most Clan Games (Archangel and myself).

This guide is here to help the current generation of NOTD players to better understand their role as a Psi Ops and to give them a bit of a heads-up as to what will be expected of them and how things properly work.
  11. Yuey
    • Warden

Yuey Warden

:) Great guide and good run through of the PO in Sec. I'll comment more when the 2ndary PO sections get posted as I'm way more familiar with Tempest PO than Inception PO.
  12. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

I'm your opposite in that regard so I'll greatly appreciate your input.
  13. Kage

Kage Member

Adding talents while you are using Tempest makes you re-cast Tempest.Also,Tempest does friendly fire damage but doesnt damage you.

The GG can also be used during the holdout if you dont have a L3 but it costs more energy to use.
  14. Ghostel

Ghostel New Member

Well at least someone post guides that do not consist of gray wall of text ^^

This guide is well done in both visual and info parts (doesn't matter that it's still WIP) which makes it easy and interesting to read. Good job ,,,o-o,,, nibble-nibble
  15. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

YOU can transfer that mess over to the wiki. I'm not touching a multipost, funny formatted guide with a 5ft pole.
  16. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

It's too long for one post. I'll transfer it when it's done.

Also, your face is a mess.
  17. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

I'm glad that my multiple deaths contributed to some measure of learning. Getting shoved into ~13 Agrons is never fun.

Despite how hilarious in hindsight it was.
  18. KatsuraJun

KatsuraJun New Member

It's even worse when you play with a delta mando. Half scared to death to jump and then get sucked into an AP ammo'd Gravity Grenade with a mob of slashers thrown into the mix if that didn't finish me off first.
  19. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

That's where the strategy lies. The Rocketeer Pathfinder is incredibly powerful, but using his abilities puts him into a lot of danger. Even if he's got safety nets such as the evasion chance and the stun effect, there's still the large possibility of getting killed outright due to a misplaced jump.
  20. KatsuraJun

KatsuraJun New Member

Yeah. Funny that most of the danger lies in being accidentally TKed more than the mobs you jump into though, save infested marines. Nowadays I just have people Gravity nade behind us and I jump anything coming at us from the front.