[Public Service Announcement] Your complaints, and my response to them

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Kith, Feb 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

I am not a developer.

I do not have a direct hand in the creation and development of this game. I design and suggest a lot of concepts that people seem to like. I've designed and gotten implemented two entire classes, along with a variety of changes that have severely impacted the balance and growth of this game and this community. I've been here since Day 1, and my old forum account was actually so old it had chaotic powers like unstickying threads just because I posted in them, or accidentally banning several members by looking at archived threads.

But I am not a developer.

That means that your concerns about the classes that I've designed are basically going to fall on deaf ears when they are brought to me. Yes, the Technician and the Pathfinder are a direct result of my work, but that doesn't mean that I have any control over them. If you have a bug or a suggestion, you bring it to Ability. Do not bitch at me for upwards of two hours about how I'm killing the game when all I'm trying to do is provide creative and useful solutions to problems that we encounter and improve the game and its growth. You want to know who is really killing the game when you pull that shit?

You.

You are killing the game by sowing dissent in the community instead of voicing your opinions about game balance in a rational manner and by the proper venues. Bitching endlessly about how overpowered the classes are and how it's my fault that they're that way (something that I get A LOT) is pointless because it's actually not my fucking fault. It's yours for not reporting balance issues and instead choosing to complain about the problem to someone who has zero influence on what actually goes into this game. I'll be blunt, balance from concept is not my strong point. My strength lies in designing unique concepts and working to find solutions that have not been implemented yet, I.E., doing something that is mechanically different from what we've already got so we don't end up with overlapping roles or similar abilities. After we get the concept implemented, then balance happens through feedback. But you breathing down my neck, blaming me for everything that's wrong with NOTD? That isn't going to get a single fucking thing changed. If you want change, you give suggestions and report bugs.

I originally retired from the community for this very reason: The senseless bitching and bickering and infighting and people throwing their weight around and people throwing tantrums because they're not getting what they want, crying to everyone that will listen but not actually working towards a solution. I was convinced to come back by several close friends of mine, and now I'm seeing that doing so was a mistake.

In short, I quit.

I'm tired of it. I don't fucking care anymore. I'm tired of being treated like shit by half of the community because I tried to improve the game. I'm tired of Ability treating the vets like shit, although some may not know it yet. I'm also tired of thinking about the mountain of false promises that were conveniently wiped clean by the forum upgrade and all of the other bold faced lies that were laid therein. I'm tired of seeing this game stagnate, I'm tired of the short tempers, and I'm tired of being played. This whole project reeks of a cash-in that never would have happened if Blizzard didn't mention the Mod Marketplace (or whatever the fuck they're calling it now).

As far as grievances against specific members go, I don't really have any other than against Ability. His handling of information, in-game and community-wise, has been appalling at best. From making unlisted, undiscussed balance changes and deliberately hiding how to complete certain aspects of the game to outright lying about changes that he made and the reasons for them, Ability has, all in all, been the perfect model of "what not to do". Yes, he has put forth a great deal of work into NOTD. This game and this community is the result of several years of effort, and I appreciate that. But what I do not appreciate is how he treats people and his fanbase, always hastily attempting to cover his ass when a problem arises or cutting corners in development. It's shady as hell, and I just cannot trust him anymore. It's like I'm dealing with a smaller version of EA.

I know that some of you are going to be pretty displeased that this segued from "stop blaming me for your problems" to "Kith is quitting because he's tired of your bullshit," but you know what? That's tough, because I can no longer bring myself to care.
  2. Shooz
    • Donator

Shooz NOTD Staff: Killjoy

This is what happens to a community member that tries to make a difference in the community. They're picked out and griped at and all the while not understanding the time and effort individuals like these have put in.

Initially, I was angry seeing this. Now, I understand his grief, frustration, and tiredness of it.

If anyone remember's Blaqk's thread about being a team and helping each other; being constructive and cohesive; being a community that supports new ideas and helps build upon those new and even old.

This is not what Blaqk meant when he posted that. This is not being cohesive. Driving a member to this point for making an effort is wrong and as a community we are ALL at fault for it.

This should stand as a monument to us all. From the newest member to the developers. We can't let this sort of thing happen to our members.

I apologize to the community for anyone who has hurt feelings from this thread. I also apologize to Kith for the way that everyone has acted which drove you to this.
  3. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

[align=center][video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zniur_5NsfA&list=LLvTyLQWZGUa3ajs9ylIg2xg&index=1&feature=plpp_video[/video]
    You may delete my post, but the song must stay. It was an old request.[/align]
  4. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Operations and Web

It was avarice and animosity that caused the loss of a valued community member by eating away at the judgment of those who spouted their spiteful drivel. If you are too weak to hold tact and bearing upon yourself, then you are too weak to contribute to NOTD and will only cause harm and chafe wounds. Unwelcome are those who bring strife to our domicile.

Also nanananabooboo I can post in locked threads and you can't.
  5. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Kithrixx, I'm sorry to hear you're upset with me. Hopefully you'll continue staying and be part of the community. While you rant a fair bit, you do have good ideas especially with class concepts and people appreciate that. Not everyone is going to agree with the things we do, and that's okay. There's still a lot more to do on NOTD and we haven't hit the halfway mark yet.

Otherwise, all the best in your future ventures.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.