Possible bug: losing rating for winning the game / getting speed bonus

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Blue-Tiger, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Blue-Tiger

Blue-Tiger New Member

Hi there!

Not sure if this is a (known) bug or not, but:

Was in a pub last night, and right after killing the queen my rating-gain was at +0. Then the dropship comes and picks us up. As we get the "+10xp Win Bonus" message, the rating drops by -1. Then, at the "+10xp speed bonus" message, the rating drops one unit again, to a total of a -2 rating for the game.

It happened to fast and too unexpectedly for me to make any screenshots, but I can upload the replay if that's of any use.
  2. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

All bugs are to be posted in the bug list, not in their own thread.

And the above is not a bug
  3. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

Correct. While we appreciate your report, there's a system in place to streamline the fix process.

What happened isn't a bug, you simply took too many hits, or lost too many lives. After a certain hit threshold, your rating will continue to tank even if no hits are taken.
  4. YetiSwarm
    • Donator

YetiSwarm Member

http://notdstarcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Rating
    The above has a very basic description of the rating system. What it doesn't tell you is that hits taken early in the game punish you throughout the game.

To quote myself from an older thread:
    "To expound on the comments that early hits are more important:
    One game I lost 67 rating (and that was a win) and was exceedingly frustrated so I watched the replay to see when and how I lost all the rating. It seems that rating recalculates roughly every 3 minutes based on your total hit count. Looking at your rating right after you get hit is deceptive because it hasn't recalculated yet.
    A hit at the start of the game will drop your rating over and over again every 3 minutes. But a hit at the end of the game will only drop your rating a couple of times.
    So if you're looking to lose rating for more lives you should facetank your ass off during mining colony and starport and play like normal the rest of the game (play as medic or use a lot of kits so you don't piss everyone else off). Alternatively if you really care about your rating and shit goes south during mining colony or starport, better ragequit now cause you're screwed and there is nothing you can do about it."

It appears from your description that rating recalculates again at victory and at speed bonus - just 2 more times to get screwed over by the hits you've taken that game.
  5. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Rating decreases each time you hit a certain hit threshold and each time a mission is completed, including side missions. Victories and speed bonus count as missions.
    The remainder of your commentary is correct.
  6. Blue-Tiger

Blue-Tiger New Member

Well that explains it :) Thanks for having taken the time to point it out.

As for the bug-thread: I saw the thread, but chose to ignore it since I wasn't sure if this actually was a bug or not.