Please remove XP requirement on the missions again

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Darkomantis, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkomantis

Darkomantis New Member

I've had a more enjoyable time trying out the Alpha and Apollo missions when XP requirements were removed. Now, I have to pray that everybody who comes in has at least 1000xp in order to not do Easy company for the gazillionth time. Most of the time the lobby consists of two 30,000xp, two 5,000xp, one 1,000xp and then two random 0xp. It's literally impossible to try and get a Alpha game going unless you have lots of friends.

So again, I ask please remove the XP requirements. Let players be able to choose the missions accordingly to how they desire instead of meeting impossible standards in almost every game start-up.
  2. RoboMonkey

RoboMonkey Well-Known Member

Sorry, but the removal of the XP Requirements was part of NOTD's fourth birthday celebration, which took place between June and July. The Requirement have always been a part of NOTD and they are a crucial part of getting players adjusted to the game, as well as a reward system. For instance, once you've reached 1000 XP, you earned the right to play the Alpha Company campaign, as well as earn more credits and experience in the future. The same apply to Apollo and Survival.

If you want to play Alpha and Security more, try hosting/joining more private games, because you will rarely get into an AC or Sec game in a pub. I tend to find that the number of players increases in the evenings/nights/early morning as well as weekends.

What I'm trying to get across is that the Rating and Experience Systems are designed for players who decide to make a long-term commitment to NOTD.
  3. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Operations and Web

The game was neither designed nor properly adjusted to unlocked difficulties. Recruit mode outside of Easy Company is a trainwreck and ranges from frustrating to flat out boring. For example: Recruit Alpha at lower SR can actually have so few enemies that you never reach level 9.

Unlocked difficulty will not be coming back. You can find privately hosted Alpha, Sec, and Survival games in the channel "notd".
  4. Lolurisk

Lolurisk Member

oh thank god
  5. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Confirmed - there won't be anymore unlocked Alpha/Sec Team storylines unless it's a special occasion.
  6. Tantric Vigilante

Tantric Vigilante Localboid Cultist

Pragmatically speaking the episodes offer several advantages to new players-

AC begins with the team together in a smaller space with a minimum of sight blockers, allowing easier team cohesion until players get their bearings. It also has no taunting tank, forcing players to kite and teamwork move down enemies. It's been suggested to give enemies bonus damage to discourage mindless facetanking, but trying to facetank everything as a flamer can get the point across just as well.

Sec begins with the team split, but at the same time has the quietest beginning of the 3 and allows players to read through their cards a little more and encourages more real teamwork to win.

Survival was hit or miss, but still allowed usage of every character and allowed players to familiarize themselves with whatever.

If players dont want to start their first game on "level 2" they can leave, if they even choose to care. Many times every player in a pub except 1 is at 1000 xp or greater, if they decide to leave to start a private that 1 is left behind. Taking -5 karma for leaving a bad random was meant to discourage this, but it's hard to see that it's worked. Removal of requirements would be the closest to a win-win situation for everybody.

Since it's sadly not coming back, how about a notification ping when players unlock these modes. When milestones are reached there's a notice a new mode has been unlocked, put the info under the help button(F12) at 500, 1000, and 3000. Include that they can find players hanging out in the chat as well as #notd.
  7. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

If everyone in a game is 1000+ xp and you want to play something other than EC Recruit, then take everyone into a private game and go from there.
  8. Tantric Vigilante

I know, Im just pointing out that somebody is going to be out of the loop and karma penalties were introduced to stop pubs from being mindlessly abandoned.

re: leaving because of bad randoms. It used to be a flat -1 karma, now it's -5 if a player randoms.
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  9. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Woah. Karma penalties were introduced to stop pubs from being mindlessly abandoned? First I've heard of it.

Karma Penalties have only been applicable in the perspective of Team Killers. In fact, the two notable losses due to low karma (1300ish) is a restriction on class selection to the basic three and a red warning box calling you a dangerous player. None of that seems particularly directed towards "he is a reckless game-leaver." The only other "penalty" regarding karma is the 1525 minimum to be allowed to control the units of leavers.

The fact that if you leave before Tartarus without saving, it'll be as if the game never happened, or if you simply died there would be no net change to your karma certainly doesn't give any inclination to prevent people from abandoning a public game. And combined with the fact that staying until victory (or defeat) provides +1, I've never been under the impression that karma is a deterrent to leaving public games.
  10. squish

squish Well-Known Member

Karma penalties are: Random (-5 at start, refunded on death or finish of campaign), Teamkill, Game start, failure to get to epsilon on time, Tanaka during AC lab gets injured repetitively, and like 1 or 2 others, which I can't recall.
    Karma allowances:
    1525 and above: Can control leavers
    Karma penalties: 1401-1524, no penalties.
    1400, red box of warning
    1300 mark is base 3 characters.
  11. David

David Well-Known Member

As far as I know, this is one of the main considerations for adding the -5 karma penalty to people who random:

That was in response to razzysnazzy's post in NOTD suggestions:
    http://notdstarcraft.com/threads/notd-suggestions.16/page-76#post-43888

The effectiveness of said change probably has little effect.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  12. Tantric Vigilante

Did the number of players actually drop during the June-July thing?
  13. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Always does. Since 2010 the number of people playing SC2 has generally halved every summer (northern hemisphere) and never returns to its previous level.
  14. TheresZeroSnow

TheresZeroSnow New Member

^sc2 was so big that notd had nearly 3 full chat channels of premade gamez. those were the days, and it's never gonna come back, sigh. I blame rito and league of legends
  15. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Its pretty easy to forget many people were in all of the channels though.

Regardless of that, this thread is effectively finished - the original topic has been answered.
  16. chainleet

chainleet New Member

yes, i boycotted this game due to bank corruption and people refusing to restore my 30 hours of work, I refuse to do any more easy mode easy company games

the administration treats its followers like "special" children haha
  17. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

You lost 1800 xp, which is literally a couple dozen EC recruit. When I tried to help you were rude and condescending for no reason other than the fact that you felt entitled to a new bank because you didn't read or understand. Thread locked. Do not revive another thread just to be antagonistic.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.