People these days...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jercy, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Jercy

Jercy Well-Known Member

2. Miracle
    • Development Team
    • Community Leader

Miracle NOTD Staff: Assistant of many things

Why can't people just get along with each other instead of trying to make headlines by attacking each other's beliefs?
  3. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Can't tell which side you're criticizing because both are pretty bad in this perspective.

The science side, because it just makes for publicity and not all publicity is good publicity.

The creationist side because it just so happens Christianity isn't the only religion in the world that has a view on how everything came to be.

Both sides are being dramatic and trying to grab publicity.

Just tell both sides to stop because science is the question things and learn class, not the I'm offended so its evil class. Let students question things that contradict what they know, and help them develop more critical thinking skills and analytic skills. Otherwise people could say that they have conflicting views with mathematics, language arts, physical education, and all other shit and then suddenly the already fucked education system becomes even more fucked.

Plenty of students are failing anyways. Why confuse them even more by adding another view that completely contradicts the initial view is completely credible as well?

Some of the people in my class (sophomores ~ seniors in High School) don't even understand what the atomic mass or atomic number of an element means, and can't figure out how many protons, neutrons and electrons there are in a given element when provided with said elements atomic mass and atomic number. Most of them are also incapable of utilizing algebra 1.

tl;dr silly publicity seekers try to fuck the education system even more.
  4. Mirage
    • Donator

Mirage ಠ_ಠ What are you looking at?

Well.. He's right you know.

How much I wish there was actually 'separation of church and state'
  5. Emperor

Emperor New Member

Bill's right.

Just sayin'.
  6. MissHumpz
    • Event Coordinator
    • Community Leader

MissHumpz NOTD Staff: Event Coordinator & Amazing Amazer

From a professional teacher point of view, it can be done. It is possible to teach both within school if handle correctly, which is a common thing in Australia. As a result, the old testament of the bible is rarely mentioned during modern teaching and nowadays more focuses on the new testament. And honestly, there aren't enough hours in the day to sit students down long enough to explain step by step each side's view on how the world came to be. Thus it is not embedded within the primary education curriculum and other subjects take greater priority.
  7. Jercy

Jercy Well-Known Member

When is The Science Guy not right?
    [hr]
    I'm extremely proud that we are keeping this thread un-offensive to people of different beliefs. I had second thoughts when posting this thread, but decided to anyways, so thank you. Hopefully it can continue like this as well.
  8. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

For me, the crux of the matter boils down to this: "Your right to swing your fist ends at my face".

Everyone is entitled to their beliefs... as long as you keep them to yourself. You can speak about it, talk about it, but you can NOT force it on me.

The primary difference between science and belief (from my point of view) is whether you can test it or not. Many natural phenomenon were taken on faith because we had no way to test them (Lighting, Fire from the sky, etc.). Faith/ideology is a purely human construct that we used to organize and understand things and to give us motivation in a world which we can not otherwise explain.

Both are important to people, however for the most part, young people are not exactly known for good judgement, so we often leave subjective material out of their education (Columbus sailing off the edge of the world for instance, most educated people of time, including nobility, knew better).

Religion was justifiably kept out of the US government because A) The founding fathers came from a diverse set of religious groups and B) most of them were educated and had seen/read how religion had been used to justify some pretty awful things. Arguing about religion is fine, using government to enforce your view on whim, not so much.
  9. ProbeGst

ProbeGst Well-Known Member

for me the most important part. 1+