Pathfinder Shenanigans

Discussion in 'Class Discussion' started by Kith, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Something that I forgot to bring up with the "in" crowd. Ghost and I were talking about the Pathfinder balance concerns, what with how the Pathfinder's a monster in pubs and low-level games. To that end, we agreed upon some changes to be made to the Pathfinder. His base damage overall will remain the same, but the range at which he can do so will be cut considerably. This should put more viability in Shoot to Maim and also address the fact that Pathfinders can easily outkill everyone and everything in Recruit without even trying.

Reduce Trick Shot bounce range from 6 to 3. Potentially even 2. While the whole "thing" about Trick Shot was that it only hit individual targets, when I made the proposal I underestimated how long 6 range really is.

Reduce the range of Hades' Spines to 11, and the Pathfinder's range bonus per level to +2 rather than +3. The entire reason that Pathy's got super crazy range on his handguns is because he's intended to be able to outrange the spines so he's not fighting at a major disadvantage if he needs to take one out. Generally, the only thing that the spines attack regularly is the Technician anyways, so I don't think this will be too much of an issue.

Ghost also wanted to examine Trick Shot bounce damage. I'm fine with it staying as it is (flat 20 damage not increased by Handgun Expertise), but if we do end up changing it, I'd like to see the bounces be calculated with diminishing returns (I.E., 80% damage on the first bounce, 60% on the second, ect) rather than just a flat 50% damage per bounce.

Also, and this will probably have to wait for the ammo/inventory retooling, make Fast Five shoot only five shots. Currently it doesn't. While this is somewhat mitigated by it not having a cooldown (you can actually burn all of your energy instantly if you hit the button too many times), it's still kind of a problem because at this point in time the Pathfinder shoots like... twelve. More if you have attack speed bonuses from FMJ or Weapon Mods.
  2. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

+0.9

These seem ok to me for now.
    "For now" because things on paper seldom reflect what we actually find in the field.

Also, I'm feeling a BIT skeptic regarding Shoot to Maim being viable even with the changes.
  3. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

Shoot to Maim is strictly inferior to Foresight, as it can only hit one thing, and requires energy, and requires you to aim. Also any and all attack speed lowering effects are effectively worthless. The reason being is that very little in this game hits for medium damage at medium speed, it is either all VERY fast (Ghouls/Larva/Zombies) or hits like a truck (Banes, Beasts, Bosses, Slashers, Devs). The only enemy really mitigated by attack speed reduction is Agrons and guess what, they don't care because they stand an even chance to inflict OW on the very first hit (on people with CP shield bonus).
  4. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Attack speed helps people tank bosses. Shoot to Maim was originally conceived as a way to support the Technician during Hades. An Arms Assault will actually make Eos easier to tank by virtue of cutting her attack speed, granting low-level/non-exped teams something of an advantage over teams that replace the second Assault with an Engineer or a Commando or (insert class).
  5. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

I'm okay.
  6. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

I only wanted to examine trickshot splash damage in case the damage was actually 50%. I'm happy with it staying at 20 flat actually.
  7. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Okay - this is good to go. Any other violent objections?