Path Of Exile

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MissHumpz, Mar 22, 2013.

1. MissHumpz
    • Event Coordinator
    • Community Leader

MissHumpz NOTD Staff: Event Coordinator & Amazing Amazer

Okies my chicken mcnuggets, tell me ur usernames for that game so I can play with you. Mine is simply LilMissHumpz, big surprise there!

I started a Ranger on hardcore mode, cause as far as I'm aware, if you die on hardcore mode, your char simply gets moved to softcore mode. Hardcore has more benefits and better drops tho.

I'm still a lil confused about how gems work tho, so I would appreciate if anyone could shine some light on that for me ^-^ Would be much appreciated!
    • I'll drink to that! I'll drink to that! x 1
  2. Moe
    • Donator

Moe Well-Known Member

The gem system is kinda weird, but very useful and versatile. Basically, from what I've seen thus far, there's four categories for them; being blue, green and red having intelligence, dexterity and strength benefits respectively. There's also some that are support-based (generally also green, with a slightly different look).

The gems will level up over the course of being in-use, adding to their effectiveness and efficiency. The part I like most about them: they can be placed and removed in/from any item with corresponding colored sockets, without losing their level progression, as well.

Beyond that, once you get into later levels, you acquire the support gems I mentioned before. These can be added to sockets with a "link" between them, displayed visually. To my understanding, these add new effects and increase the ability of a gem. For instance, an Ice Nova gem can have a support gem that increases it's radius, or the splash damage of a Fireball, etc etc. You can eventually begind to chain the supports to a specific skill gem, essentially having a super-skill, of sorts.

Also, my character's name: Silaxis.

I already died in hardcore, so I'm now softcore. Rofl. I think I'm like level 15 or something.
  3. HipHopDragon
    • Warden

HipHopDragon Warden

i got a level ~46 summoner (Zarisia) and a level 40 facebreaker (Saraus)

gem colors show their primary attribute which you will need to use them
    Blue = int
    Red = str
    Green = dex
    Every attribute has a lot of support gems its not specific to dex.
    Gems level up when equiped not when used, so you can level stuff even when you dont use it.
    Support gems have to be put in a socked linked to the socked with the gem in it they are supposed to support, generally they increase the mana cost but give it something new.

Im pretty new myself but if you got newb questions i should be able to answer them :)
  4. MissHumpz
    • Event Coordinator
    • Community Leader

MissHumpz NOTD Staff: Event Coordinator & Amazing Amazer

Merci Moe and Hippy! <3

Lolz what class did you pick Moe??

I love the custom and unique passive skill tree! I'm not exactly sure what to aim for regaring skills for Ranger, but to begin with I have chosen to go down the bow dps and evasion route ^-^

So you can level them up without using them? So I suppose its wise to equip all of them regardless of what they are / do.
    • I'll drink to that! I'll drink to that! x 1
  5. rockz
    • Donator

rockz Well-Known Member

downloading now at 6 MB/s.

Someone else took rockz, so fuck him.
  6. Moe
    • Donator

Moe Well-Known Member

I picked a Witch haha.

Yeah, the passive skill tree is pretty awesome. It's quite intimidating the first time you look at it. So many options. O_O This game is what Diablo 3 wishes it was, in my opinion.

And I wouldn't equip every gem you get necessarily, just equip the ones that sound most useful to your character/play-style. Some gems you won't even be able to equip, due to certain requirements/restrictions they may have. Not to mention, you don't really need a firestorm gem on a Ranger. :p

Lol, I had to mess with picking a name for like 20 minutes before I finally got a decent one. Every single name I have ever used was taken. D:
  7. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Kyonko is my user name for PoE.

Hardcore has no benefits aside from the fact that the economy there is generally more expensive; People equip their best gear, then die and now its part of the softcore market, and no longer part of HardCore. So good pieces of gear in hardcore would go for more than they would in Softcore.

In addition, if you end up being a very high level, such as in the top 10 to 100, you'll probably be able to attract many people to watch you play if you decide to stream.

I'm a pure softcore player myself, currently sporting a ranger in its mid 50's, merciless A2.

I also have a Rightous Fire Templar, but I'm probably going to rename him.

But holy shit, be careful with supports. My Ranger's Ice Shot has an energy cost of 57. Fork + LMP + Chain + Culling Strike on it is kinda funny, hoping to find myself a GMP to replace the LMP.

Most of the junk I have stored is stuff for 30's to 40's characters, and mostly not really good.

Playing in League Races can be rather profitable, but at the same time, you'll still get shit. League Race Events always have a new economy, so drops are relatively good in terms of orbs.

I may actually consider getting Iron Reflexes, because my survivability is shit.

Loot is a kinda strange system; rather complicated. Its a FFA for looting, but at the same time, items can drop for specific people, and they'll have around 2 to 3 seconds to pick it up before the item becomes "fair play", and anyone can loot it. This 2 to 3 second timer is only for Currency Items / Rare Items / Unique Items / Gems. Items that didn't drop for you will be shaded in / tinted blackish, and once they become untinted (their normal color scheme), they become fair play. If they drop in their normal color scheme, that means the item dropped for you, and you'll have 2 to 3 seconds to pick it up, until it becomes fair play.

Ooh, and, Fuck Flicker Strike and Charging Enemies.
  8. rockz
    • Donator

rockz Well-Known Member

It's the curse of having a good name. By "good" I mean less than 7 letters.
  9. HipHopDragon
    • Warden

HipHopDragon Warden

The skilltree is very nice because it lets you do whatever you want, downsite is you can do what ever you want. It takes quite some time untill you have even a basic grasp of the skill gems and the passive tree which makes it hard to make good decicions at start.

Yes you can level them without using them. I dont recomment leveling gems you likely wont use though, along other things leveling them increases their requirements like minimum level and primary attribute. Which means that a new char couldnt use them anymore untill they get the required level/stats.

poe has a pretty good wiki btw.
    http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Path_of_Exile_Wiki
  10. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

11. TheWolf
    • Donator

TheWolf Surgeon of Death

So far i can say shadow into frostmage buildt is pretty good and i already got most of the skills needed on high levels too. Only thing i might need is more restience :/
  12. Moe
    • Donator

Moe Well-Known Member

I'm unsure if I even have a username; I just use my email to log in haha.

In any case, I only have the one character for now: Silaxis, Level 16 Witch.
  13. Klobber

Klobber Well-Known Member

Have a ranger called Krossbow