Fixed orbital laser invisible again

Discussion in 'Game Bugs' started by vexxenon, Aug 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vexxenon

vexxenon Well-Known Member

Kith, I'm sorry that I didn't include more pictures at the time. Here was my train of through.

1) This bug existed before, and was fixed before, so in my mind, all I'm doing is tell AP, hey it's back and probably something in the code that he changed.
    2) phly included a picture of the bug, and knowing that this bug happened before, I thought any additional pictures won't provide any information.
    3) I would LOVE to include replay, for bug reporting and others, but frankly, it hasn't worked for a long time, therefore, I don't have it, and even if I do have it, I can't use it.
    4) If the replay doesn't work, I really don't understand the purpose it serves to post it on the forum. Maybe if AP can open the replay in SC editor and help him diagnose the problem, I'll gladly uploaded, but I'm not sure if that is possible or not.
  2. Shooz
    • Donator

Shooz NOTD Staff: Killjoy

Vex, every bug is important down to it's last detail. Also you have to remember how we view bugs. While this may have occurred before, it's never the same because the circumstances can never be the same unless we go back to the point it originally occurred. Even that is impossible as we cannot travel through time. So what i'm saying is put everything into a report. Report a bug as though it is brand new. There can be multiple reasons for a bug to occur and just because it looks the same, doesn't mean it is the same.

Thanks!
  3. phly

phly New Member

Oh dear lord. I understand why multiple screenshots/replays are encouraged, so let's all calm down. The bug has been confirmed, however I'd still like to right the wrong here:

Lasers start invisible, still do damage to marines, and continues as so until they end. I'm not positive about the sound, but I did not notice any laser sounds. New screenshots were taken in a survival nm within a span of 16 seconds (hope that is enough). If I'm missing any other detail, feel free to let me know.

Attached Files:

4. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

First off, the bug is already fixed in the latest unstable, which if I haven't uploaded yet, I will do so shortly.

2nd, generally we want as much information as possible because in the past, many bugs had vague or misleading information, to the point I simply deleted it, because I spent a fair amount of time chasing ghosts of bugs.

As for bug reports, in the future, because of issues like this and the general distraction/problems it causes, bug reports will be posted with the thread locked by default. If I need more information I will open it up and ask for it. Most bugs I can easily determine from just the description, but in cases where I can not, I will inquire. Having multiple "me too" and "Wtf, another bug" and other general discussion does not belong here and interferes with my job. Also to this end, bug reports are going to be off limits to everyone except me and whoever posted the bug report.

Finally, and this is a major point I MUST make in light of recent events elsewhere. The current staff for NotD does not have the time to play the game as much as people would like and this is a combination of real life circumstances, as well the reality that we spend a fair amount of time offline working on stuff, in my case, endless testing, researching, talking with other mapmakers, and discussing what is and is not feasible with Ability/Kith. As valid as the criticism that is leveled against us may be, it must be done in a respectful way. Currently game developer are dealing with the fact that fans are becoming increasingly hostile to the developers, leading the developers to shy away from interacting with the players, and in more cases, dropping game development altogether. Blizzard specifically no longer has developers for most of their games communicate on their forums, because of how toxic it became (If you play WoW, you are almost certainly aware of the events concerning the moderator Tseric). Recently, although she stated it was for other reasons, a lead writer of Bioware left her job there after receiving death threats against both her and her children directly. I subconsciously avoid the forums from time to time because the atmosphere does become toxic to me. So I would urge that everyone take the time to read what they are about to post and reflect on whether you would say that in person.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.