Opinions/Ideas for Forum

Discussion in 'Online Operations' started by Blaqk, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

First, are we happy/sticking with the new Administrator and Moderator colors or have we just not switched back to Administrator and Moderator? Would alternate colors be preferred?

Second, there are a few features MyBB has that might be of use to us.

One of these is the option for a global announcement. The way it works is it appears above stickied threads in select/all boards and cannot be replied to. You can see an example here.

Finally, can anyone think of anything that needs to be fixed/changed/restored? I think just about everything has been locked down so we just need to spark healthy discussion and feedback (here and in NOTD Discussion) to keep the development pipeline flowing.
  2. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

RE: [Low Priority] Opinions/Ideas for Forum

Do we even need the Help button? Would it be better suited in a different location? CSS gives us free reign over the location of stuff. It could be put dead center of the entire forum just for lulz with the power we haz.
  3. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Can the entire 'Forum Help' and section at right be replaced with a forum search box? That would be more useful for community members.
  4. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

I'll see what I can do when I get home tonight.[hr]Would you like me to integrate the Q&A thread into the FAQ page? I can write it out in HTML via Dragonfly and just attach the .html file to this thread.
  5. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Deer God that was a pain in the ass! Making the search bar itself was easy, but getting the damn thing to center took me 30 minutes. >.<

I also cleaned up the nav bar at the bottom,. and placed the link to reach the advanced search feature there.
  6. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Hmm, not really centered unfortunately (depending on resolution). Any way to put the search box in the area highlighted in red?
  7. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Uhhh... that's where it is on my screens. Removing the donate link should fix it.
  8. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

How irritating. It appears to run into an issue with the default font and font-size of browsers, and for some reason no matter how small I make the text box and regardless of whether I make it a <div> or <li> it's still determined to be a ho.

The reason I was happy with it is in Opera, the browser I use, it looks just fine. Firefox, however, throws it a curveball.

After work tonight I'll just rebuild the whole navbar.
  9. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Dragonfly does not like the NOTD forum theme at all. In fact, the 3 errors it's reporting in the attached screenshot are typographical errors in some of the more harmless code farther down in the theme.

Attached are screenshots of what the navbar is now, an ordered list, and then what it should look like using the EXACT same code that's up there now. See a difference? I'm going to rebuild it as a fixed-width table so we'll have better control over the aesthetics of that bar, and so it wont have as many compatibility issues as the current one.
  10. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Search bar looks good!
  11. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

The color of BO members need to be different. They are the same color as "accounts" that cannot be linked to, like the search engines.
  12. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

I suggest black. (with a white outline if necessary)
  13. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

I might be able to do black with white outline via CSS shadowing.
  14. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

I approve of that new Color & Appearance :D
  15. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

How does this look?
  16. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Better, now do it for Admin & Mods for some uniformity. Regular users to I guess.

Edit: Might as well make Admins really fancy.
  17. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

o_O It changed once more.. From a Bright Radiant white to this Glowing Darkness :D

It looks good :cool:
  18. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

I can't decide between a glow of 3px and a glow of 4px. The 3px glow makes it easier to read here, but harder to read on the online list. The 4px glow has the opposite effect.

In case Ability/Earendil/anyonewhoiscuriousaboutCSS wants to know the values, CSS shadowing looks like this.

<span style="color: #000000;text-shadow: #FFFFFF 0 0 3px;">{username}</span>

The 4 values are color, x-axis position, y-axis position, and radius.
  19. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

20. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Welp... I epic failed and removed my own ability to access anything. I'm gonna go make some dinner and vacuum my apartment while I wait for Ability to bail me out.